Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Year ago today that Claudio's 'dream died'

Just now, Hugo Sanchez said:

So why wouldn't had we won it under Pearson ? Not a lot of people know the true story of that season and one day the truth will come out about how much of a part Claudio played and what the players and the coaching staff thought of him. He was very good at selling himself to the media I'll give him that.

I'm guessing you do know the truth of that season?

Pearson had us bottom of the league for 6 months, it doesn't suggest inevitable success. The press were totally negative about Claudio when he arrived, it was winning the league that sold him to the media.

• Like 4

The same media who tore the club to shreds after he was rightly sacked ? Also Pearson won his last 7 out of 9 games and was nonimated for manager of the season. He would of had the same players just not benny or the legendary Inler. You've got no substance to your argument I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

The same media who tore the club to shreds after he was rightly sacked ? Also Pearson won his last 7 out of 9 games and was nonimated for manager of the season. He would of had the same players just not benny or the legendary Inler. You've got no substance to your argument I'm afraid. 

I have the substance that Claudio won the league and Pearson was nowhere near. You can theorise all you like, they're the facts.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I have the substance that Claudio won the league and Pearson was nowhere near. You can theorise all you like, they're the facts.

Yes he did win the premier league and I'm not arguing that. How much of a part did he really play is my argument. 

Avran grant could of won the league and the champions league with Chelsea back in 08. Came close but even if he did. Everyone would gave Jose the credit and rightly so. His players, his coaching staff and his methods. Claudio isn't a good football manager and hasn't been for along time and history proves that. Normally last a couple of seasons and he's found out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

The P word ? If it wasn't for the P word, we could still be rotting in the football league. Have some respect for the man who gave you your best years supporting City. 

Have some respect for Claudio. The thread is about him after all...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

Yes he did win the premier league and I'm not arguing that. How much of a part did he really play is my argument. 

Avran grant could of won the league and the champions league with Chelsea back in 08. Came close but even if he did. Everyone would gave Jose the credit and rightly so. His players, his coaching staff and his methods. Claudio isn't a good football manager and hasn't been for along time and history proves that. Normally last a couple of seasons and he's found out. 

Apart from when he won the league?

What part of Pearson's record proves that he's a good football manager?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Another well meaning thread turned into a Claudio vs. Pearson blah-fest. 

Aren't people bored of retreading the same old tired discourse?

You're right, I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

It sounds like you're making a direct comparison between the great escape and beginning 2015.  We only played wingbacks, back three, vardy wide etc for that short period to the end of the season.  Previously 4-4-2.  DD replaced James who was injured.

But anyway, don't take my word for it, I am just going on interviews with Ranieri himself and he basically said that he let the team and club run itself at least at the beginning.

Ranieri is  not the type to big himself up.

Interviews with players show that they thought they were freed up to play to their strengths.

1 hour ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

The P word ? If it wasn't for the P word, we could still be rotting in the football league. Have some respect for the man who gave you your best years supporting City. 

No!

My best 2 years were winning the PL and the CL run. Prior to that it was the MON years.

I'm not trying to do NFP down but it's tiresome having his fans try and make out We may have won the league had be stayed.

Quite why you believe we would still be in the 3rd without him I don't know. Even Doncaster once got promoted at the first attempt from that division.

Edited by hackneyfox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Not sure the two months between VE day and the general election made much of a difference!  From Wikipedia;

The Labour Party ran on promises to create full employment, a tax-funded universal National Health Service ... and a cradle-to-grave welfare state

He got re-elected my old fruit after Atlee's government. 

• Like 1

A sad day. In retrospect I feel like if we hadn’t lost Kante we wouldn’t have capitulated so badly, or if we got Ndidi instead of Mendy. Ifs and buts of course. 

Ranieri will always be a legend and more than anything what a tremendous person he is. I’m glad that no matter what, one of the nicest guys in football achieved the most incredible sporting feat of all. He has more class than the rest of the current Premier League managers put together. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Weird time for me. This happened which was sad however was put into perspective  a few days later when my wife took very ill and was touch and go for a few days with other implications lasting a few months. I watched the recovery match (Liverpool) on my phone in LRI sat next to her not knowing where it was heading....

Thankfully it was an upturn moment all round and she’s now doing fine aside from a few residual issues...I don’t think Shaky had anything to do with her mind you...

go forward both of them! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Weird time for me. This happened which was sad however was put into perspective  a few days later when my wife took very ill and was touch and go for a few days with other implications lasting a few months. I watched the recovery match (Liverpool) on my phone in LRI sat next to her not knowing where it was heading....

Thankfully it was an upturn moment all round and she’s now doing fine aside from a few residual issues...I don’t think Shaky had anything to do with her mind you...

go forward both of them! 

Glad to hear that mate :thumbup:

Okay no more Pearson talk but in all seriousness now. How do you take a team from being premier league champions to the relagtion zone only 8 months later ? 

Kante aside because no one was ever expecting us to win it again. That's where my Evidence stands on him not being a good manager. The players are too blame ? Why did the players, all of a sudden stop playing for a manager that guided them to a league title ? Why has he ended up at Nantes if he's such a good manager ? I'm sorry to keep going on but surely funny interviews can only take you so far.

1 minute ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

Okay no more Pearson talk but in all seriousness now. How do you take a team from being premier league champions to the relagtion zone only 8 months later ? 

Kante aside because no one was ever expecting us to win it again. That's where my Evidence stands on him not being a good manager. The players are too blame ? Why did the players, all of a sudden stop playing for a manager that guided them to a league title ? Why has he ended up at Nantes if he's such a good manager ? I'm sorry to keep going on but surely funny interviews can only take you so far.

I think it is and was far far more complex than that - I think the entire club was in some sort of shock, and perhaps couldn't cope with the enormity of what they'd achieved. An argument for collective consciousness, if you will.

39 minutes ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

And Pearson is where?

Nantes may be playing Europa football next season.

Ranieri has a decent track record only you could.manage to come to the conclusion he's a poor manager.

• Like 1

That season under Claudio was sheer magic.

Nige was brilliant and restored the pride in the club but I honestly think we would have bottled it around Christmas time without Claudio in charge.

Claudio kept the dream simmering week by week. 

He was clearly stabbed in the back - probably due to disharmony between back room staff, disparity in the wage and reward structure, a strenuous schedule and a culmination of new challenges for the club (just a guess).

He can still take credit for steering us in to the knock-out stages of the Champs League. Maybe one day someone will write a book and we'll find out what really went on but it was a tragic end to the most beautiful footballing story ever. Something wasn't right though as the players weren't playing for him by the end.

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think it is and was far far more complex than that - I think the entire club was in some sort of shock, and perhaps couldn't cope with the enormity of what they'd achieved. An argument for collective consciousness, if you will.

Hangovers are real. Summer bullshit didn’t help. I think we started on an awkward cadence and began to suffocate under expectations in the league. Note that we didn’t suffer in the CL because we had *no* expectations.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 1