Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Year ago today that Claudio's 'dream died'

15 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Right decision to let him go and in hindsight I'm amazed anyone could say otherwise. He was a genius for a year and very astute in knowing that he'd inherited a good side and to only make little adjustments.

Only make little adjustments?

There were a few more changes to personnel and some players games than that.

• Haha 1

(Watch from 3 minutes 10 seconds) What a truly beautiful man. outside of my own family there are not many, if any people on this planet I love more.

Reminds me of Winston Churchill in as much as he was the perfect person for the Job in that exact moment. Churchill was a terrible prime minster after the war and a pretty bad home secretary etc before but history doesn't remember that. It will be the same with Claudio, All we will remember is his absolute brilliance for those 10 months. 

Edited by The whole world smiles

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Only make little adjustments?

There were a few more changes to personnel and some players games than that.

Not really.

By CR's own admission he basically took a step back from day one.  It was a very wise move.

As for personnel, Fuchs and Shinji had already signed and he needed persuading to accept Kante.

None of that belittles his achievements one bit, it would not have happened without him, he spoke brilliantly, he was calm and inspirational but sometimes less is more.

He's already gone down as a legend not only of the club's but also in the football history. What he pulled off will be talked about in the centuries to come.

Wish him all the best.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I mean, I hate to be a pedant. But you don't celebrate your birthday on the day of the week you were born... 

This thread becomes valid tomorrow tbh.

My guess is you hate pedantry like I hate wanking

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, murphy said:

Not really.

By CR's own admission he basically took a step back from day one.  It was a very wise move.

As for personnel, Fuchs and Shinji had already signed and he needed persuading to accept Kante.

None of that belittles his achievements one bit, it would not have happened without him, he spoke brilliantly, he was calm and inspirational but sometimes less is more.

He moved Vardy from out wide to a central position.

He changed from a back three to a back four and then dropped the wing-backs for proper full backs.

Albrighton played regularly and he inverted the wingers.

Drinkwater became a regular.

Not saying this wouldn't have happened under NFP but the idea that Ranieri didn't change anything doesn't hold water.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

(Watch from 3 minutes 10 seconds) What a truly beautiful man. outside of my own family there are not many, if any people on this planet I love more.

Reminds me of Winston Churchill in as much as he was the perfect person for the Job in that exact moment. Churchill was a terrible prime minster after the war and a pretty bad home secretary etc before but history doesn't remember that. It will be the same with Claudio, All we will remember is his absolute brilliance for those 10 months. 

Not sure the two months between VE day and the general election made much of a difference!  From Wikipedia;

The Labour Party ran on promises to create full employment, a tax-funded universal National Health Service ... and a cradle-to-grave welfare state

He'll be back one day and he'll get a proper goodbye.

It was the correct decision without a shadow of a doubt, but it was still sad how it had to end. I suppose it's easy to forget a lot of these things when so many who didn't understand the situation think they have some kind of important view on it.

By hook or by crook, it turned out to be miraculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

He changed from a back three to a back four and then dropped the wing-backs for proper full backs.

Not saying this wouldn't have happened under NFP but the idea that Ranieri didn't change anything doesn't hold water.

It sounds like you're making a direct comparison between the great escape and beginning 2015.  We only played wingbacks, back three, vardy wide etc for that short period to the end of the season.  Previously 4-4-2.  DD replaced James who was injured.

But anyway, don't take my word for it, I am just going on interviews with Ranieri himself and he basically said that he let the team and club run itself at least at the beginning.

Edited by murphy
  • Thanks 1

It pains me looking back at it. I get so protective over the club's decision to part company that I almost forget how much I love the man. In hindsight, I really wish he just rode off into the sunset in the summer of 2016. Obviously at the time we'd have all begged him to stay mind. 

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Doubt it will happen. Our ground is just "King Power" even the banners of our old players were taken down.

Sadly I think this is the case. The owners have done great things for the club, and we wouldn't be where we were without them. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a statue of them before there's a statue of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Nobody is saying he didn't change anything, if he didn't we wouldn't have won the league.

However, there wasn't much wrong with that team he inherited and he only had to make some minor adjustments, ie most of the personnel and the style of play stayed the same. Don't try and rewrite history, nobody is taking a pop at your precious Claudio here, we all appreciate what he did for LCFC......

I've nothing against Puel and think he's doing fine at the moment but wouldn't it have been even better if we'd had this season last year plus the Champions League run? A proper follow-up to the title win, plenty of pay-off money saved and goodwill still intact.

Sad day when it happened but agreed with the decision then and still do now. I wouldn't have wanted the title winning manager presiding over relegation. However much you try to say it wouldn't, his legacy would've been affected.

There's a picture of him post Sevilla away game where he's applauding the away support and looks visibly moved. I think he knew then. 

Last season I was hoping we'd finally click into form at some point and finish mid-table. Then he could leave at end of the season without any questions asked. He's doing superb in France - second to his achievements here. 

16 minutes ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

Just like we did under king Claudio ? Why didn't you put any money on it at the start of the season ?

Because I didn't think we'd win the league.  What's that got to do with it?

It was an unfortunate decision that the club felt it had to make, I dread to think where we would be if he had been allowed to stay. He did wonders for the club (and the city by putting it firmly on the map) and I still feel sad that it came to that, would have loved him to turn it around and still be here.

Edited by norwichfox

3 hours ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

Feel sorry for Pearson more, spending all them years at Leicester. Building a side and all the hard work he put in. It should had been him with the trophy and him leading us into the champions league.  Imagine how he felt, watching some journeymen take all your hard work and saying how he done it :( 

Thank you shakey and Steve Walsh for that season.

Oh well, 16 posts in before the first mention on the ‘P’ word.

Shame we still didn’t quite manage to get to page 2 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Because I didn't think we'd win the league.  What's that got to do with it?

So why wouldn't had we won it under Pearson ? Not a lot of people know the true story of that season and one day the truth will come out about how much of a part Claudio played and what the players and the coaching staff thought of him. He was very good at selling himself to the media I'll give him that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Oh well, 16 posts in before the first mention on the ‘P’ word.

Shame we still didn’t quite manage to get to page 2 :rolleyes:

The P word ? If it wasn't for the P word, we could still be rotting in the football league. Have some respect for the man who gave you your best years supporting City.