Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Print Version of the NME dies on its arse

Sad to see NME fully go as I used to buy it, but it's been shit for a couple of years now. I've only ever picked up two of their "free" versions and one of them was the week Bowie died.

The NME was hugely influential within the music industry from the late 60's to the early 80's.  Could make or break any new musician/bands career & was essential reading to any music fans during that period.

A great shame it is no more but couldn't possibly survive in print form in the modem age.

Used to collect the NME back in the early 90s, must have had 3 or 4 years worth stacked in my bedroom then. Had some decent cassette giveaways sellotaped to the front occasionally, along with mags like Select and Q. 

The freebie giveaway version was shit though, NME.com isn't much better either tbh. Was only a matter of time before it kicked the bucket like it's big rival Melody Maker.

reminds me of heading into town, checking out the music papers and magazines in WH Smith before popping into Revolver to buy some vinyl. Youth.

3 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

The problem is music just isn't interesting anymore

“music” is a bit of a broad thing to be uninteresting. the type of music printed in the NME and the type of fans who would buy or read it might be uninteresting but there’s a whole world out there to explore and adapt to. 

3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

“music” is a bit of a broad thing to be uninteresting. the type of music printed in the NME and the type of fans who would buy or read it might be uninteresting but there’s a whole world out there to explore and adapt to. 

I haven't read NME (free version nowadays of course) for a year or so but on twitter they always seem to be on about the same artists. There must be a "story" about Liam Gallagher every week. 

It’s been dead for a good decade or more.  The recent free version was terrible I’m really not sure what they were trying to achieve with it, if you got two album reviews a week you were lucky and one would be Taylor Swift or something.

Between the John Peel show and the NME it was massive for me in finding out about new bands and tours, When I first started reading it in the early 90’s it was probably the first place you would hear about a band touring through the pages and pages of gig listings in the back.

sadly every USP it had has become easier to find on the internet especially gigs Songkick and Bandsintown just tell me know.

On 10/03/2018 at 17:37, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Music isn't interesting, give me strength

Not really what I meant, of course there is still brilliant music being made now but if you look at the industry now there isn't really anything for the music press to write about.

I mean when I was buying Melody Maker and NME we had the grunge scene, Madchester, house & rave, the politics of Public Enemy, the Beastie Boys corrupting the nations youth, Blur vs Oasis (boring though it was), shoegazing, Richie Edwards self harming and disappearance, there seemed to be a new story or scene emerging every month, recently who have been the cover stories Kasabian, Jake Bugg, The Vaccines, Noel & Liam, Stormzy.....no thanks :yawn:

1 hour ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Not really what I meant, of course there is still brilliant music being made now but if you look at the industry now there isn't really anything for the music press to write about.

I mean when I was buying Melody Maker and NME we had the grunge scene, Madchester, house & rave, the politics of Public Enemy, the Beastie Boys corrupting the nations youth, Blur vs Oasis (boring though it was), shoegazing, Richie Edwards self harming and disappearance, there seemed to be a new story or scene emerging every month, recently who have been the cover stories Kasabian, Jake Bugg, The Vaccines, Noel & Liam, Stormzy.....no thanks :yawn:

Just because what the NME chooses to publicise has been absolute arse it doesn't mean the music scene is on it.

11 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Just because what the NME chooses to publicise has been absolute arse it doesn't mean the music scene is on it.

Depends on what you mean by scene.  I get what MJM is saying.  Music scenes have died a death, I went from the new house/acid scene to shoegazing to Madchester to grunge to Britpop in less than a decade, that just can't happen now and that's a little sad.  Many reasons for this the strangle hold of corporations on the radio stations/internet/reality TV etc...

Doesn't mean music is less interesting though.  Times change people get their music news from different places and don't need the printed music press.

• Like 1