Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

13 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Some decent Guinness in the Devonshire in London last night. Followed by a steak in the Hawksmoor, not bad for a Monday. 

Second this, had some really nice ones when I went! 

1 minute ago, Jabfox said:

Second this, had some really nice ones when I went! 

I've got a bit of a cynical outlook on the Devonshire (without having been). It's always being pushed by that insufferable Topjaw bloke and also prides itself on it's "Guinness" which is playing to the gallery atm. I'm guessing the prices are high too? Feel like it's been created for the social media/ influencer crowd. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I've got a bit of a cynical outlook on the Devonshire (without having been). It's always being pushed by that insufferable Topjaw bloke and also prides itself on it's "Guinness" which is playing to the gallery atm. I'm guessing the prices are high too? Feel like it's been created for the social media/ influencer crowd. 

Understand where you are coming from for sure, I went a back in Feb and had a really good experience, we just went for drinks and you could tell they really cared about the Guinness which was nice. Atmosphere was good but got very very busy later on. 

It was relatively expensive but nothing absurd IMO, I had a quite a few Guinness and the Mr's a few glasses of champagne. 

I'd recommend going if you're in Soho and see what you think! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

Understand where you are coming from for sure, I went a back in Feb and had a really good experience, we just went for drinks and you could tell they really cared about the Guinness which was nice. Atmosphere was good but got very very busy later on. 

It was relatively expensive but nothing absurd IMO, I had a quite a few Guinness and the Mr's a few glasses of champagne. 

I'd recommend going if you're in Soho and see what you think! 

Yeh I will give it a try if I'm down there! It sounds like it's somewhere I'd be able to take my Mrs to which is a bonus, as it's a nightmare getting her into the pubs I like lol

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Yeh I will give it a try if I'm down there! It sounds like it's somewhere I'd be able to take my Mrs to which is a bonus, as it's a nightmare getting her into the pubs I like lol

Tell me about it mate 🤣 Also recommend The Lyric, The French house and the Coach and Horses if you are in Soho 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I've got a bit of a cynical outlook on the Devonshire (without having been). It's always being pushed by that insufferable Topjaw bloke and also prides itself on its "Guinness" which is playing to the gallery atm. I'm guessing the prices are high too? Feel like it's been created for the social media/ influencer crowd. 

The prices were in line with the other pubs that we went to in the area. I understand your point but ultimately it was a great pint, really nice location/building and very fast service (due to the non stop Guinness pouring).

• Like 2

Throw in that even more insufferable Cnut Giles Cohen being interviewed outside of there by Topjaw. 

Anyway, apparently the food is mint there but you'll be waiting three months for a table 

On 17/04/2024 at 18:04, bovril said:

What's with the Guinness fascination these days? Pretty bland stout.

never been into it, straight down the middle carling drinker me. something isn't right with carling at the minute though, the glasses are so temperamental the slightest drop of water or slight heat then it will kill your pint. i also have to be careful as some drinks will now just give me the shits, ie i used to drink ciders and could do 12+ pints no problem, 3 pints now and it goes straight through me. Guiness used to do that. Had a couple of bad carlings in the bowling green the other week after Brum and with limited options, plus my mates guiness looking lovely braved it and enjoyed it, which surprised me. tried it 3 times now but not more than 3 pints at a time so no bad shits yet, will keep you informed 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Had a pint of Thornbridge Brock last night

Million miles better than Guiness 

Thornbridge is a great brewery. Brother Rabbit is one of the only golden ales I've really liked. 

• Like 2

I don't mind Guinness but I would only order it if I fancied a more Cask type of pint in a place that didn't do Cask.

It is indeed very, very popular atm. Their marketing team has nailed it. You even see girls drinking it!

Talking of Guinness I'm in Dublin this weekend. Any recommendations for pubs? 

On 17/04/2024 at 18:04, bovril said:

What's with the Guinness fascination these days? Pretty bland stout.

I've said this to a few people lately - their marketing has worked wonders for it. It's become kind of "cool" to drink it in some circles.

2 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I don't mind Guinness but I would only order it if I fancied a more Cask type of pint in a place that didn't do Cask.

It is indeed very, very popular atm. Their marketing team has nailed it. You even see girls drinking it!

I think part of it is the notion that there is good and bad Guinness in a way that is different from any other beer. 

8 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Pre football we had a great day in O Connells, just off the bridge. Looks dingy from the outside but its like a tardis inside. Nice and central. 

We went back at night after the game and

it was packed and really lively with the Saturday night crowd, really good atmosphere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guest123 said:

never been into it, straight down the middle carling drinker me. something isn't right with carling at the minute though, the glasses are so temperamental the slightest drop of water or slight heat then it will kill your pint. i also have to be careful as some drinks will now just give me the shits, ie i used to drink ciders and could do 12+ pints no problem, 3 pints now and it goes straight through me. Guiness used to do that. Had a couple of bad carlings in the bowling green the other week after Brum and with limited options, plus my mates guiness looking lovely braved it and enjoyed it, which surprised me. tried it 3 times now but not more than 3 pints at a time so no bad shits yet, will keep you informed 

Yes, please do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guest123 said:

Bowling Green is the only pub in town where I’ve had a dodgy stomach from beer.

Bowes Bar, best pint of Guinness I've ever had and a really pretty old pub, Mulligans on Poolbeg st is good, Keohoes and the Brazen head. 

Spoilt for choice really but if you get a chance visit Bowes Bar.