Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

6 hours ago, bovril said:

I think part of it is the notion that there is good and bad Guinness in a way that is different from any other beer. 

That Shit London Guinness account who gets people pouring their pints into vases and taking photos of it as if that's how it was served has at least played a fractional part in this.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bovril said:

Thornbridge is a great brewery. Brother Rabbit is one of the only golden ales I've really liked. 

And surprisingly a decent family day out.    Thornbridge has a National Trust type site with entertainment for kids including a water fountain filled with ducks for kids to fish out with nets which was a laugh.

https://www.thornbridgehall.co.uk/

I was certainly not expecting to be endorsing family entertainment in beers thread 😆 

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

And surprisingly a decent family day out.    Thornbridge has a National Trust type site with entertainment for kids including a water fountain filled with ducks for kids to fish out with nets which was a laugh.

https://www.thornbridgehall.co.uk/

I was certainly not expecting to be endorsing family entertainment in beers thread 😆 

Also right on the Monsal Trail!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I don't mind Guinness but I would only order it if I fancied a more Cask type of pint in a place that didn't do Cask.

It is indeed very, very popular atm. Their marketing team has nailed it. You even see girls drinking it!

Talking of Guinness I'm in Dublin this weekend. Any recommendations for pubs? 

Head up to Thomas Street, near the Guinness Brewery. Nice vibe and cheaper than Temple Bar.

22 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Preston looks promising for a Monday afternoon solo slope 

Black Horse is a must for pub interior fans. Old Vic's worth popping in if you're coming from the station.

Guild Ale House is good too. Father-in-law's mate runs it.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 18:04, bovril said:

What's with the Guinness fascination these days? Pretty bland stout.

Personally: it’s one of the better mass-produced beers you’ll get. If you’re somewhere with limited options or you can’t be arsed to brave any guest lagers that evening, a Guinness will probably serve you pretty well. 

But that’s it mainly, I wouldn’t say it’s anything special above that. 

I think the sudden upsurge in it is a cultural response: when I started drinking (2015) was the beginning of the trend of different sweet fruit ciders became more mainstream, combined with Carling being the ‘boring’ go to lager for generations, I think Guinness was picked up by insufferable hipsters as it’s got a distinct enough taste to put some people off and be different and it’s also not distinct enough a taste as say an IPA that you don’t have to battle through it to pretend to enjoy it. 

At that point, probably in the last five years, it’s become the cool drink as it was drank by those types and hence the fascination and fanfare around it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Personally: it’s one of the better mass-produced beers you’ll get. If you’re somewhere with limited options or you can’t be arsed to brave any guest lagers that evening, a Guinness will probably serve you pretty well. 

But that’s it mainly, I wouldn’t say it’s anything special above that. 

I think the sudden upsurge in it is a cultural response: when I started drinking (2015) was the beginning of the trend of different sweet fruit ciders became more mainstream, combined with Carling being the ‘boring’ go to lager for generations, I think Guinness was picked up by insufferable hipsters as it’s got a distinct enough taste to put some people off and be different and it’s also not distinct enough a taste as say an IPA that you don’t have to battle through it to pretend to enjoy it. 

At that point, probably in the last five years, it’s become the cool drink as it was drank by those types and hence the fascination and fanfare around it. 

IPA drinkers are the worst cvnts and so fake.  I love IPA but 90% in this country is shit and expensive.  So I tend to stick to the mass IPA's I like and avoid the hip shit fake bullshit places that serve overpriced piss.

Guinness market themselves well, it’s become the go to event beer. It also looks aesthetically pleasing, tastes well, has a bit of a mythology about it (you just have to let it settle - bollocks). The split the G challenge and shit London Guinness stuff as mentioned has all helped push it too.

The lower ABV makes it easy drinking as well.

Couple of Urquell, a glass of wine and a nice double measure of Torres Brandy this eve toasting a city win and running my first ever 10 miles. The brandy was about £12 from Barcelona airport and its nectar. Spanish produce is really excellent value for money a lot of the time, in comparison to other European countries such as Italy/france. 

Edited by Manini

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Not sure why Guinness gets any hate. It’s decent and very sessionable. 

Because it's an average yet completely ubiquitous beer produced by a multinational company that owes its popularity to a multimillion pound marketing campaign?

It's an ok drink but anybody who appreciates beer from medium sized or small independent breweries are obviously going to have mixed feeling towards it at best. It's like asking why football fans dislike Man City. 

10 hours ago, bovril said:

Because it's an average yet completely ubiquitous beer produced by a multinational company that owes its popularity to a multimillion pound marketing campaign?

It's an ok drink but anybody who appreciates beer from medium sized or small independent breweries are obviously going to have mixed feeling towards it at best. It's like asking why football fans dislike Man City. 

Think that’s unfair. I enjoy craft beer and real ale and spend a lot of money supporting those breweries. However I also love a pint of Guinness and will often choose that over any macro lager if out for a few. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Think that’s unfair. I enjoy craft beer and real ale and spend a lot of money supporting those breweries. However I also love a pint of Guinness and will often choose that over any macro lager if out for a few. 

I drink it and don't think it's immoral or anything I'm just saying it's understandable people don't like the beer or the brand very much. 

14 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Lot of stout drinkers highly recommend the London Black - there was a pub with it on in Bristol but I was too far cider’ed to switch onto stout at that point 

They have it on at the Real Ale Classroom

A shedload of Guinness over the weekend in Dublin.

We did a few of the famous/recommended pubs- Mulligans, Bowe's, Doheny & Nesbit, Bleeding Horse. None of them blew me away but they were all enjoyable. Unfortunately the beer selection is pretty limited in Dublin, with near identical selections everywhere you go and hardly any craft beer/independent brewery offerings. I just mainly stuck to the Guinness which went down very nicely.

As expected, the Temple Bar area was very gimmicky and touristy. However, like most places, once you push out from the city centre and away from the touristy areas it gets much better. Drury Street was excellent- everybody out drinking on the street in the sun (none of the plastic cup bollocks). Baggot Street lower and Camden Street were great for boozing and general vibe. We ended up spending the night out at Devitts which was absolutely bouncing. The area around the university is incredibly nice, a bit like the Georgian Quarter in Liverpool but bigger and better.

Overall I'd say it exceeded my expectations and I'd definitely go back. Just a great general vibe and the people were sound as ****.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

What's the beer choice in there out of interest? 

Pretty solid. Guiness, Vixen, Madri, London pride, banks bitter, icebreaker, thatchers & carling from memory.

Cheap, friendly & plenty of space n dog friendly too. Food is well priced at weekends.

• Like 1