Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Had a fair few yesterday at Wirral Beer Festival at Port Sunlight. Lovely day for it.

Ananas Paradise (pineapple sour) and a Creme Bearlee (caramel stout) the highlights.

On 30/03/2024 at 13:46, grobyfox1990 said:

Damn well glad I went home yesterday at full time with that weather and THAT result, although yes it is a fantastic party city. Motion is consistently in the top 50 best clubs in the world

Tbf that full time shower was the last rain in Bristol for the next 30 odd hours I was there 

• Like 1

Some decent pints over the bank holiday weekend:

Thursday: Swan in the Rushes Loughborough - Charnwood Brewery Moon Door - very nice!

Friday: Colmore Birmingham - Jaipur - decent

Friday: Real Ale Classroom Leicester - London Black and one of the specials on Cask - okay

Saturday: Malt Shovel Shardlow - one of their own beers on cask - decent 

I'm sure some of you already know this, but if you type a place name in speech marks into the search box of this thread (eg "Birmingham") it brings up all previous mentions of the place. I got bored one afternoon at work and searched all the major cities in the UK and saved down all the best pubs on my google maps lol. For example I had the Colmore (even though the reviews were mixed) saved down from this thread. The recommendations on this thread are absolutely bang on and much better than any internet site (European Bar Guide is also very good though). Up the Foxestalk! 

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Thursday: Swan in the Rushes Loughborough - Charnwood Brewery Mondoor - very nice!

Friday: Real Ale Classroom Leicester - London Black and one of the specials on Cask - okay

I'm sure some of you already know this, but if you type a place name in speech marks into the search box of this thread (eg "Birmingham") it brings up all previous mentions of the place. I got bored one afternoon at work and searched all the major cities in the UK and saved down all the best pubs on my google maps lol. For example I had the Colmore (even though the reviews were mixed) saved down from this thread. The recommendations on this thread are absolutely bang on and much better than any internet site (European Bar Guide is also very good though). Up the Foxestalk! 

I have google maps for all of the European trips and UK away days etc :ph34r:

I know non-members who use this thread for info 

Edited by CosbehFox

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I have google maps for all of the European trips and UK away days etc :ph34r:

Yeh same!

I'm even going to Belfast in August because of this thread lol I lived in London for 5 years and looks like I missed out on so many of the good pubs. I'll be putting that right though the next few times I go down!

One city that I felt the thread was a bit light on was Liverpool (I went Uni there). Recommendations seemed to be limited to Ship and Mitre and Rigby's on Dale Street, when in reality you want to be over the side of town in the Georgian Quarter. Loads of good pubs within walking distance of each other and each with distinctive character. 

Edited by Chris_OGrady

9 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Yeh same!

I'm even going to Belfast in August because of this thread lol I lived in London for 5 years and looks like I missed out on so many of the good pubs. I'll be putting that right though the next few times I go down!

One city that I felt the thread was a bit light on was Liverpool (I went Uni there). Recommendations seemed to be limited to Ship and Mitre and Rigby's on Dale Street, when in reality you want to be over the side of town in the Georgian Quarter. Loads of good pubs within walking distance of each other and each with distinctive character. 

Philharmonic and all those! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Moorhouse's amber ale at the Navigation in Barrow on Thursday lunchtime.

Looking forward to an outside pint there by the canal when the weather's better.

Can't beat a pint by the canal when the sun is out. 

Navi might get busier now that the Soar Bridge has closed again. 

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Moorhouse's amber ale at the Navigation in Barrow on Thursday lunchtime.

Looking forward to an outside pint there by the canal when the weather's better.

One of the most scenic view pub locations in the shire, personally.

Can't beat The Finch's Arms in Rutland, as the best for this though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Can't beat a pint by the canal when the sun is out. 

Navi might get busier now that the Soar Bridge has closed again. 

Has it? Looked open recently, last boozer in Barrow left for me to tick off since I started working there!

52 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Has it? Looked open recently, last boozer in Barrow left for me to tick off since I started working there!

It closed the day before Good Friday. Landlord has gone to a pub in Ashby and Everards are looking for a new one. 

With hindsight, I was there to watch the last round of the 6 nations and there was no food on offer and very quiet for a Saturday afternoon.

I think the Charnwood brewery refurb of the hairdressers is back up and running.

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

It closed the day before Good Friday. Landlord has gone to a pub in Ashby and Everards are looking for a new one. 

With hindsight, I was there to watch the last round of the 6 nations and there was no food on offer and very quiet for a Saturday afternoon.

I think the Charnwood brewery refurb of the hairdressers is back up and running.

Very keen for that when it opens. Will definitely have a day where I take the train to the work so I can enjoy it properly!

Hope the Soar Bridge gets a new gaffer.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Anyone been to the real ale classroom? Not seen it before but looked good walking by post show yesterday 

Went first time on Saturday - very good. 

Plymouth is looking like a desert for good pubs - I have found one place but it's in the midst of nothing and only opens from 5 until 11. 

On 03/04/2024 at 10:37, Chris_OGrady said:

Thursday: Swan in the Rushes Loughborough - Charnwood Brewery Moon Door - very nice!

Probably sound like a lazy asshole but I wonder if it is possible to export the bookmarks in your google maps?   

I would happily pay for it. 

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Few lagers at The George London Bridge. Greatest city in the world for pubs.

Totally agreed. For quality of ale, pub culture and concentration on the liquid rather than food and/or creating some type of 'family atmosphere' - London is the clear best in the world. The George is also brilliant, sits alongside the gun as my favourite London pub for group drinking.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Totally agreed. For quality of ale, pub culture and concentration on the liquid rather than food and/or creating some type of 'family atmosphere' - London is the clear best in the world. The George is also brilliant, sits alongside the gun as my favourite London pub for group drinking.

Even the chains in London are pretty unique. Annoyingly provincial pubs are so similar most of the time 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Anyone on Untappd on here? 

Frequent user, best method to recall time and place of previous pints. Appreciate the pubs and liquor stores over here who publish and update their menus on the app, too.

• Like 1