Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

6 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Backstage IPA from a can, from the signature brewery. Not bad at all for a can.

Beavertown is doing a free giveaway of one of its new brews this weekend at its brewery, will likely go down and have a look.

I’m not sure if you are new to beer but looking at it doesn’t have the same effect.

11 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Had the mango one Innis & Gunn make on Saturday. I will be having more.

What's their lager like? Been meaning to try it for a while. The same for Maltsmith’s lager.

Edited by Stadt

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Young's Special. A classic.

I remember enjoying that in the distant past, particularly in London days.

My last pint was now just over 4 years ago - at a Jah Wobble gig at The Donkey. Was about my 7th or 8th pint that night - rather rough Adnams Broadside, as I recall. :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I remember enjoying that in the distant past, particularly in London days.

My last pint was now just over 4 years ago - at a Jah Wobble gig at The Donkey. Was about my 7th or 8th pint that night - rather rough Adnams Broadside, as I recall. :D

That's good going Alf :thumbup:

It'll be two years in October for me but it's this time of year I find hard. The suns out, beer gardens are busy, barbecues happening and there's nothing like the taste of a cool beer on a summers day.

I wondered if you'd tried non alcoholic beer/lager? I know it used to taste shit but I imagine it's improved now. I just miss the taste but my fear of having a proper beer is that I'll get hooked again and back on the slippery slope...

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's good going Alf :thumbup:

It'll be two years in October for me but it's this time of year I find hard. The suns out, beer gardens are busy, barbecues happening and there's nothing like the taste of a cool beer on a summers day.

I wondered if you'd tried non alcoholic beer/lager? I know it used to taste shit but I imagine it's improved now. I just miss the taste but my fear of having a proper beer is that I'll get hooked again and back on the slippery slope...

For the last couple of years, it's been like a new phase where I almost never feel tempted (1-2 times in last 2 years?). Not drinking is the new norm/habit & I'd have to take a conscious decision to start again.....though I think that I might do that in a few years, when there's less  to lose. Although it doesn't sound like it, I was drinking less in my 40s/50s than in my 30s and a lot less than in my 20s. I wasn't often necking 7-8 pints - whereas I was doing that every other night in my 20s.

Maybe sobriety will become routine for you, too, over the next year or two? Everyone's a bit different, though.

I've had non-alcoholic beer in the distant past but didn't particularly enjoy the taste (I mainly drank real ales, so difficult to replicate). A tiny corner of my mind also wonders if it might mess with my head - start me thinking "if it's OK to have alcohol-free beer, it's OK to have the odd proper beer"....with the risk of returning to necking too much (the "slippery slope", as you say). I'm quite happy on soft drinks when I go to pubs, so no point taking even a tiny risk. 

Anyway, better shut up and leave the thread to those still enjoying their ale - as I did (massively!), and probably will again some distant day.... :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pint of Mahou in The Boathouse in Barrow, didn't taste as good as it did before a Champions League quarter final for some reason. Also had a few cans of Rheinbacher, it's not the best beer in the world but it's better than most of the standard tinnies served up.

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

Pint of Mahou in The Boathouse in Barrow, didn't taste as good as it did before a Champions League quarter final for some reason. Also had a few cans of Rheinbacher, it's not the best beer in the world but it's better than most of the standard tinnies served up.

Is that the one they sell in Aldi? I quite like that it’s a nice drop, my mate bought some round for the CL final last year and I was quietly pleased at how nice it actually was. 

Cant remember the name now, I’ll check the can when I’m back at the room but some local Moroccan rocket fuel, Flag or something. It’s brewed in Casablanca I think and it’s about 5 and a half %, it’s like how Stella used to taste. It’s impossible to get any other beers over here though really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Since I know some of you enjoy the IASIP labels, I'm drinking this right now:

3eb42f30e58b9ca5a5e2a00caf237dfe.png

That might be the greatest beer in history, but I can't picture myself grabbing a bunch of those and taking them to the checkout.

No offence DB :)

Worthington White Shield, from the barrel. 

I didn't even know it came in barrels, I have only ever seen the half-pint bottles.

The landlord had to pull about three pints which went down the sink before it would turn clear.

No chance of reaching for the top shelf at the end of the evening, and I didn't get up very early this morning.