Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

11 hours ago, Langston said:

I paid £3.50 for a pint of something from Siren at the Draft House round the corner from old St last time I was there, very decent. Down the road from the Old Fountain in all which is one of my favourite London boozers, maybe just edged by the Cock Tavern in Hackney.

All ears for any decent London recs as I'm heading down there a week today. Anything similar to the latter pair mentioned above.

The belrose

The compton arms

prospect of Whitby

the gun

the mayflower

All depends where you're based but so many good pubs 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 13:08, Langston said:

I paid £3.50 for a pint of something from Siren at the Draft House round the corner from old St last time I was there, very decent. Down the road from the Old Fountain in all which is one of my favourite London boozers, maybe just edged by the Cock Tavern in Hackney.

All ears for any decent London recs as I'm heading down there a week today. Anything similar to the latter pair mentioned above.

Found this by chance once - agreed it's one of the best boozers in London. 

• Like 1

Had a couple of pints of Braybrooke session lager in The Two Tailed Lion and they were excellent. Brewed in Harborough too.

Also went to the castle inn in castle garden's/DMU's business school campus they only have two beers on tap, both framework. Bitter was shit,  Planet Galenta Smash was nice.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Had a couple of pints of Braybrooke in The Two Tailed Lion and they were excellent. Brewed in Harborough too.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Good gear that. Tried their lager and a darker one they do the other week.

They have three lager variations - possibly one of the best lagers I've had. The smoked one is a bit of a surprise mind. 

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have three lager variations - possibly one of the best lagers I've had. The smoked one is a bit of a surprise mind. 

It was the session lager they had on, not tried the Keller 

8 hours ago, Langston said:

Was only there for the Saturday a week or so back, managed to get a fair few in - all ears for any of your top picks though as I'm down there a fair bit! Location not specific

London is all about exploring. I was born there and although we moved between Leicester and London, I spent much of my youth and time there finding new and obscure haunts. As much as many of them are no longer in existence, the older and venerable places have survived or been reinvented (sometimes losing their character) and with the growing popularity of designer and craft beers - new businesses, pop ups and tap houses abound. Having lived in various parts of inner and greater London this could be a very long post - but I'll keep it brief.  If it's a good range of ale that you're after, then as I mentioned on the Chelsea meet up thread, The White Horse near Parson's Green is excellent. Just across the river, The Falcon at Clapham Junction has a nice selection and reputedly the longest bar in the UK. Brixton is a good crawl now, The Effra Hall Tavern - one of my treasured authentic locals of all time, you can drop in The Ghost Whale en route. 

If you don't want to venture far, you couldn't get more central than The Harp on Chandos Place (right by Trafalgar Square) - again, very high quality ales. I used to work next door in what is now the Institute of Chinese Medicine. In nearby Covent Garden get to The Lamb and Flag where Charles Dickens used to bet on the bare knuckle fist fighting in the adjacent alley and courtyard. Cross over the Charring Cross Road head into Soho and find the Dog and Duck on Bateman Street - George Orwell's old local, or The Ship on Wardour Street which practically every upcoming band of any note alongside the music press used to drink in on account of the old Marquee Club being practically next door. A cheap pint (for London) on the other side of Soho can be found in the Red Lion on Kingly Street which is a great pub - but I'm not too fond of the Sam Smith ale. Head over to the City and The Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street which sells itself on its list of notable mainly literary patrons over the years - as opposed to the beer (that's Sam Smith now too). If you go up the alley behind you'll find Dr.Johnson's old house, and if you can navigate your way further up to Hatton Gardens (where the heist of 2015 took place) and you'll find (or not) one of the hidden jewels of Old London - The Mitre where reputedly a young Queen Elizabeth I danced around a cherry tree in its garden. I say hidden, because this is one of the hardest pubs in London to find down a very narrow alley. A short walk away in Clerkenwell are some great pubs - of note, The Jerusalem, and particularly further up into Islington around City campus and Exmouth Market. Alternatively from Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese stroll down to the Millennium Bridge, cross it and head East up the South Bank past The Globe theatre and it's a short walk to The Anchor right next to Canon St Bridge - one of the oldest pubs in London, used to be a Carmelite hostelry and this is where Pepys stood and watched the City burn in 1666. Great pub - obviously not the same building - and good location right next to the pubs in Borough. 

There are also some great places up in Chalk Farm, Camden Town and Kentish Town...and a bit further up the road, Highgate, which I love. 

All of this is pretty accessible and well known (bar the Mitre) but the are some pubs south of the river, Lambeth - Herne Hill, Dulwich and in the Crystal Palace hills that I grew up in. One of my favourite meet ups was The Railway right by the station in Tulse Hill before we headed into the West End. Dropped by recently - great place, but why the **** would you find your self out there? 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Just had a Paulaner at old fountain in old st. Nice, great line up as well. Shame about all the preening London millennial losers inside though

Aha, I've always found the crowd to be a great mix of trendy hipsters and normal folk, I love it in there.

Draft House down the road nowhere near as good, but always worth nipping in in my experience, reasonably kitted out and I had a pint in there for 3.50 the other month, very decent.

• Like 2