Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
notnow john

World Cup hosts 2026

I don’t think either choice was very appealing tbh.

Those 3 countries all have strong cases in their own right but having it across 3 countries is a terrible idea. It’s too big an area and the culture of the host nation is key to a World Cup. Absolute load of nonsense.

Oh well, I always said this was the last World Cup i’d watch. 

Bit of a way to travel if you're at a game in Canada and your next one is in Mexico.

It's all about increasing the profile of the game over in North America. It's a huge ever-growing market and that's what drives all of FIFA's decisions... MOAR MONEH.

3 hours ago, notnow john said:

U.S.A, Canada and Mexico to host 2026 World Cup.

Does that mean non of them have to qualify?

If so could be the way for Scotland to take part, Scotland Iceland and Ireland.

They'll all be seeded as host nations, but isn't there going to be 48 teams that year?

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I wonder if I'm still on the Canadian roster? I might have to get in shape!

10 games in canada. With the corporate tickets no chance we will get any opportunity to catch a game. We might have to cross  into the usa....which is ok because trump wont be around in 2026 even if he wins a reelection .

Edited by Jattdogg

I'm not too fussed about it being in the USA/Mexico/Canada, I'm quite tempted to head over, depending on personal circumstances, it's the 48 team part that puts me off. Will be a poor football standard and a long tournament.

33 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

I'm sorry but only one country should host the World Cup. Joint bids should never be allowed.

Joint bids should be allowed if it is two smaller nations. But Canada, USA and Mexico surely could do this on their own?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I'm not too fussed about it being in the USA/Mexico/Canada, I'm quite tempted to head over, depending on personal circumstances, it's the 48 team part that puts me off. Will be a poor football standard and a long tournament.

Getting rid of four team groups is going to be the worst part of the 2026 world cup. 

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

10 games in canada. With the corporate tickets no chance we will get any opportunity to catch a game. We might have to cross  into the usa....which is ok because trump wont be around in 2026 even if he wins a reelection .

As much as I'm happy to get it, I'm not really sure why we are even included.

Hopefully we can improve the team before then. Alphonso Davies looks decent and he's only 17 now.

22 hours ago, bovril said:

USA and Mexico hosted probably the best 3 world cups in history. 

:blink:

I would certainly have France '98 ahead, but can't judge the others as those are before my time.

18 minutes ago, shen said:

:blink:

I would certainly have France '98 ahead, but can't judge the others as those are before my time.

World Cup 94 was a brilliant tournament, apart from the final. The knockout stages were more exciting than France 98, in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

World Cup 94 was a brilliant tournament, apart from the final. The knockout stages were more exciting than France 98, in my opinion. 

Fair enough, they weren't bad, but I find it surprising that you think the '98 knockout games were less exciting. Some absolute classics in there!

50 minutes ago, shen said:

Fair enough, they weren't bad, but I find it surprising that you think the '98 knockout games were less exciting. Some absolute classics in there!

They were both great tournaments, but the 1/4 finals in 94 were maybe the best round of matches I remember seeing in a WC.