Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Mahrez replacements

2 minutes ago, les-tah said:

This was always going to be the key thing the club needed to nail this summer. Lets see what rudkin and co have up their sleeve.

Be great to see them pull something random out the bag like, say, Hirving Lozano 

19 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Reckon he might go with Gray, Albrighton, Diabaté and Barnes as our 4 wingers this season. Would we be happy with this?

I've highlighted in bold the ones who aren't good enough to consistently start at this level for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only player I've seen come close to Riyad's technique/control in the flesh is David Neres at Ajax

Don't think we'd have a hope in hell of getting him though.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It'll be this lad from Turkey, Abdulkadir Omur.

Who can play on the wing but is actually a box to box midfielder... 

I'd like him but I'm not sure it works when you buy a player who's heart is in a different position.

According to Ajax, Ziyech has already agreed a move to an undisclosed Premier League club. Wonder if it's us and we've had to push the Mahrez deal through at a lower fee to close this deal. For the record I'd be delighted if it was highly doubt it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, ian_marshall said:

According to Ajax, Ziyech has already agreed a move to an undisclosed Premier League club. Wonder if it's us and we've had to push the Mahrez deal through at a lower fee to close this deal. For the record I'd be delighted if it was highly doubt it is. 

That could make me slightly happy 

3 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Where is that? 

Of the options we've been linked to we could afford Elynoussi (I don't care how badly I butchered that) and Felipe Anderson both and I'd be very happy with that. 

Neither have moved officially yet, right? 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Of the options we've been linked to we could afford Elynoussi (I don't care how badly I butchered that) and Felipe Anderson both and I'd be very happy with that. 

Neither have moved officially yet, right? 

Elyounoussi has gone to Southampton 

4 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Elyounoussi has gone to Southampton 

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think he was being ironic/joking. Anderson to WHU is all but done too

Ah no, I wasn't joking, I didn't realise Elyounoussi had been finalised. 

I thought it was in the same stages as Anderson, as in it was widely accepted that be happening but was unconfirmed. 

Which was exactly my point, as in if we have this wrapped up then absolutely nothing stopping us torpedoing their deals as I would imagine the Mahrez saga is what has stopped us moving for these guys. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Ah no, I wasn't joking, I didn't realise Elyounoussi had been finalised. 

I thought it was in the same stages as Anderson, as in it was widely accepted that be happening but was unconfirmed. 

Which was exactly my point, as in if we have this wrapped up then absolutely nothing stopping us torpedoing their deals as I would imagine the Mahrez saga is what has stopped us moving for these guys. 

Oh!

yes, I would have thought Elyounoussi was the perfect replacement, but he went to Southampton. Like others have said, think we missed out there. Time will tell.

Can't replace him with a prospect. Has to be someone who can get in now and go some way to replacing the creativity he's taking with him.

I don't dislike Gray / Diabate whatsoever but if we're relying on either / even both of them to go even halfway to replacing what Riyad can give us in the immediate future, we're in trouble.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Who can play on the wing but is actually a box to box midfielder... 

I'd like him but I'm not sure it works when you buy a player who's heart is in a different position.

I think we want him to play in a 3-4-1-2 with the option to play out wide if needs be. 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we want him to play in a 3-4-1-2 with the option to play out wide if needs be. 

Can we have a designated 3 at the back thread please? 

That way, I could ignore it

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Haha 2

“Replacing Mahrez” will be impossible not least because of the expectations on the head of that individual player. 

What I believe we need to do with the money is to strengthen the squad where it needs strengthening and trust in Claude to diversify our style of play so that more players offer creativity rather than us having to rely on Mahrez’s flair. Our “442” needs to evolve. 

We’ve already started with Maddison down the centre. Diabate shall get more chances and this is the last chance saloon for Gray to show us what he can do. Ricardo and Chilwell will also offer something down the wings too.

I’d steer clear of marquee signings  IMO. Go for under the radar young players, which Claude has a history of developing. 

• Like 3