Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

England player ratings WC 2018

Pickford 8- Showed a maturity beyond his years. Made some crucial saves and commanded his box well throughout. Probably would’ve got a 9 if it wasn’t for the Belgium goal where I felt he could’ve done better

Walker 6- Seen a lot of people praising him so maybe I didn’t pay much attention to what he was doing but for me he was a bit too erratic at times. Playing out of position so can’t blame him too much but his positional sense at centre half isn’t there. 

Stones 8- Really good up until last night where he seemed a bit all over the place. Forged a great partnership with Maguire which will be good to see develop in future tournaments 

Maguire 9- Biased? Maybe, but he made me fall in love with international football and England again. Despite his lack of international experience I really think he was boss. Would love to see the percentage of headers he won in the oppositions box throughout the tournament. And his goal was the best moment of the World Cup for me. Really proud

Trippier 9- Between him and Mags for player of the tournament for England. His deliveries and willingness to get forward was a pleasure to watch. And that free kick was sublime. Of all the Spurs players in the squad he was easily the best

Young 6- Weak link of the defence imo. Don’t think Rose would’ve been much better though

Henderson 8- Think he proved a few of his doubters wrong. Looked so much weaker when he was replaced by Dier. Should’ve been captain 

Alli 5- Overhyped and pretty damn useless. Offered nothing going forwards and didn’t do his defensive duties. Hopefully pundits will start to see through him

Lingard 7- One of the better attacking outlets we had although nothing special. Took his goal well and made a nice assist for Alli’s goal. Not bad

Sterling 6- found him the hardest to judge. On the one hand his pace and movement got him into some wonderful positions but he just lacked the final product. Frustrating tournament from him

Kane 7- and I feel that’s a bit generous. 3 penalties, two tap ins and a shot that deflected off of him. Did ok in the group stages but didn’t turn up beyond that. I get the feeling personal accolades are what drive him on instead of team trophies, this might be why spurs win nothing. Beast of a penalty taker though

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Pickford 8- Showed a maturity beyond his years. Made some crucial saves and commanded his box well throughout. Probably would’ve got a 9 if it wasn’t for the Belgium goal where I felt he could’ve done better

Walker 6- Seen a lot of people praising him so maybe I didn’t pay much attention to what he was doing but for me he was a bit too erratic at times. Playing out of position so can’t blame him too much but his positional sense at centre half isn’t there. 

Stones 8- Really good up until last night where he seemed a bit all over the place. Forged a great partnership with Maguire which will be good to see develop in future tournaments 

Maguire 9- Biased? Maybe, but he made me fall in love with international football and England again. Despite his lack of international experience I really think he was boss. Would love to see the percentage of headers he won in the oppositions box throughout the tournament. And his goal was the best moment of the World Cup for me. Really proud

Trippier 9- Between him and Mags for player of the tournament for England. His deliveries and willingness to get forward was a pleasure to watch. And that free kick was sublime. Of all the Spurs players in the squad he was easily the best

Young 6- Weak link of the defence imo. Don’t think Rose would’ve been much better though

Henderson 8- Think he proved a few of his doubters wrong. Looked so much weaker when he was replaced by Dier. Should’ve been captain 

Alli 5- Overhyped and pretty damn useless. Offered nothing going forwards and didn’t do his defensive duties. Hopefully pundits will start to see through him

Lingard 7- One of the better attacking outlets we had although nothing special. Took his goal well and made a nice assist for Alli’s goal. Not bad

Sterling 6- found him the hardest to judge. On the one hand his pace and movement got him into some wonderful positions but he just lacked the final product. Frustrating tournament from him

Kane 7- and I feel that’s a bit generous. 3 penalties, two tap ins and a shot that deflected off of him. Did ok in the group stages but didn’t turn up beyond that. I get the feeling personal accolades are what drive him on instead of team trophies, this might be why spurs win nothing. Beast of a penalty taker though

Can't agree more with that sentence, probably my favourite ever England moment seeing him put that in

Pickford - 9 - Top class saves and great distribution. Can be number one for years.

Trippier - 8 - Great delivery from set pieces but i'm not sure he helps enough in open play. Regardless he's had a very good tournament.

Walker - 7 - Fair play to him because he's so obviously not a centre half. His pace is invaluable because there's none in the defence without him.

Stones - 8 - Lead the back 5 superbly but the odd lapse in concentration has let us down.

Maguire - 8 - Simply put. We're going to have a real scrap to keep him. He's quality but, like Stones, has the odd lapse in concentration.

Young - 6 - Our weakest link IMO. I thought he was horrible last night and I think Mbappe would have had his pants down on Sunday.

Henderson - 8 - Our Captain in all but name. Does not shut up and has one hell of an engine on him. He needs a rest.

Lingard - 7 - Good without being great. Hasn't been able to get Kane or Sterling into the tournament much.

Alli - 6 - Similar to Lingard. I actually thought in the first half he was playing his best game of the tournament but in the second he totally faded.

Sterling - 6 - I think we're a worse side without him but he has to start delivering goals or assists in a national shirt. I don't think this system suits him either.

Kane - 8 - Those two goals against Tunisia got us on our way. He cares deeply for the national side but he looks knackered.

Pickford - 8 Excellent, some top saves and set the tone with his distribution. Croatia forced him to go long yesterday and it our quality of performance was worse.

Walker - 7 Generally did well in an unfamiliar position but was caught out on a couple of occasions

Stones - 8 Was outstanding up until the winning goal last night. Yes he makes mistakes but I enjoy watching him play, always wants the ball and confident

Maguire - 9 Player of the tournament for me, his ability and composure is brilliant, never phased by anything and was our biggest attacking threat at times.

Trippier - 8 Totally justified his inclusion. Important because of our reliance on set plays but was good in general play too.

Young - 6 Started off pretty well in the early games but got found last night I thought

Henderson - 7 Solid tournament. Still a limited player but had to get through a lot of work in that midfield

Ali 5- England's worst performer, comfortably. Struggled in a slightly different position to what he plays for Spurs, early injury didn't help

Lingard - 7 I like him, but for all his effort and enthusiasm he plays in a position that needs to offer creativity and he didn't offer enough

Sterling - 7 You can argue he was a threat, and to be fair first half last night he was good, but end product is pants. Feel like I'm being generous with a 7.

Kane - 8 I guess his goals mean he has to score highly but he's been rubbish since extra time against Colombia. Far too deep and trying to be some sort of quarter-back playmaker.

Edited by RowlattsFox

Pickford 8

Trippier 8

Walker 7

Maguire 7.5

Stones 7.5

Young 6

Alli 6

Lingard 6.5

Sterling 6

Henderson 8

Kane 7.5

Vardy 6

Rashford 6

Dier 5.5

RLC 6

Rose 6.

Wow @Bert , you about nailed it for me.  I would knock Alli down to a 5 but can’t quite shade Young and Kane down a full point.  Although the latter was his usual Flat Track Bully self.

Pickford, Maguire and Trippier were the revelations at this level.

Can’t believe I just watched every England game at a World Cup  :blink:

Edited by KingsX

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I would have loved to have seen Nick Pope appear at least once. - possibly against Panama - but Pickford really didn't put a foot wrong.

Am I right in thinking that Pope and Butland are the only squad members not to have appeared at all yet?

If so, I wonder if Southgate might give Pickford the day off for the 3rd place play-off and give the other 2 keepers a half each for the experience?

I assume he'll make a few changes.

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I hadn't thought of that - the 3rd place final is usually considered a reluctant obligation so, it might be that Southgate will start either one of them and swap - as you say. They (the players who participate) then can at least get to say they were World Cup finalists :).

Pope had, towards the end of last season, the second best shot stopping stats after de Gea.

Interesting, if he plays, to see how he performs against the likes of Hazard and Lukaku -  that is, if they play :).

Blimey you hadn’t  actually thought of something? You do surprise me. 

Whatever it is the 3rd place play off is a non event. I imagine Southgate will ring the changes     . Third or fourth, what does it really matter?

Be nice for Butland and Pope to get on the pitch at least. 

Pickford - 8 -  Slow sloppy start in the group stages, but was simply faultless and outstanding in the knockout stages. Pulled off some heroic saves and was the hero in colombia penalty shootout.

Walker- 6 - Being generous if being honest at times headed away some vital headers when in danger but some his decision making was poor, not being played in his natural position and can't say he's enjoying playing there.

Stones - 7 - Never rated him pre this tournament but instead he's actually raised his game and been fantastic. Sometimes there's has been some weird decisions in his game but other than that he should be pleased.

Maguire - 8.5- Probably one England's best player in this tournament, pulled of some vital tackles and headers plus assisted in quite a few goals including grabbing one himself. Be proud Harry and in this short time shown a lot of maturity. Needs to be careful though on his back passing.

Trippier- 8.5 - Outstanding and faultless and not put a foot wrong at all, what a player he'll become. Possible candidate for player of the tournament alongside Maguire.

Young- 6 - At times he looked shown a bit of experience and quality, but sadly he just tires to quickly and once he's tired he's very error prone and can offer nothing for second half of the game. Without doubt this probably his best and final England tournament display.  

Henderson - 7 - Apart from that pen miss against Colombia can't fault the lad too much, done his job perfectly without doing anything spectacular, an average but decent tournament for him... should have been captain in my eyes.

Ali- 6 - Way too much hype for this lad I'm afraid, apart from an excellent header against Sweden he's had pretty much quiet tournament. For me hasn't looked fit enough and probably in some performances shouldn't have featured. Maybe a fitter Ali would have seen different outcome for him, however if not fit don't play him, the old England used to do this with Rooney and looked what happened?. Six is being generous from me.

Lingard- 6.5- Overall I don't wanna be too harsh on the lad, I think he does try hard and tries to offer something different every time. But considering how he was pre the tournament I'm sure he maybe little disappointed, however I think there's still a lot to come from him in future. I think he needs a little more power in his shots. One good performance against a poor Panama team just isn't enough I'm afraid.

Kane- 7.5- Been an huge improvement since the last tournament, slightly got involved more and putting away some powerful and precise penalties. Until last night he made more of presents and wanted the ball more early on. Mistake however giving him the pressure of the captain's armband, I want the strikers main focus on scoring goals. 

Sterling - 5- Does try hard but he's not a natural striker for me, struggles to stay on his feet, win headers due to his height and put away vital chances. Yes got the pace but if your going to use that, then play him on the wing! that is where belongs. His missed chances have cost England dearly at times.

Other mentions

Dier - 5 - Seen little glimpses of him, in open play he's been that little clumsy I'm afraid, of course he scored that critical penalty but other than that I've seen nothing special from this tournament. 

Vardy - 6 - Given a full 90 minutes against Belgium and looked actually one of the few best players on the field,  set up some great passes for Rashford in that game. Other times we haven't seen much of him, either not getting involved much or not getting the passes just not sure. 

Rashford - 6.5- Little glimpses we've seen of him he's looked good and tried to offer England that something different up front, had a stinker of a game against Belgium but over than that he's came off the bench and looked good, need to use him more. The lad wants the ball and does enjoy running with it, but no one is keeping up with him when he finds himself in a good position in the box.

Cahill- 4 - Was awful against Belgium, very clumsy and looks quite out of place in this new brand of England. Sad really always liked and rated him, but just doesn't fit this system maybe his time has come and gone.

Rose - 6.5 - Every time he comes on, he causes problems for the opposition with his pace. Ash Young is great winger but not a natural wing back, Rose should have been first choice in this role I think.  

Loftus Cheek- 6.5 - He's going to be some player one day, seen him come on in that crunch game against Tunisia at the beginning and what impact he was, running at the opposition, keeping the ball and putting some great passes into the box. Started the next two games and for some reason the spark weren't there. I don't know perhaps he's more of threat when coming on from the bench, need to see more of him though.

Welbeck- 5 - Seen barely anything of him, should have played him. If being honest been treated quite poorly. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

Going slightly off topic but do people on here think that Vardy may still have an england future? He’s obviously never going to be first choice and even the overrated Rashford is ahead of him now. I mean he’s obviously a ledge and can still play a role but I’m not sure if he’s regarded as pivotal in the England squad. 

As as for the ratings, I think it’s fair to say that most of those who played were superb but I don’t see how Ali and Dier get picked and Sterling, well yeah he tries but I can’t say I’m overly impressed with him. 

No ones rated the man Southgate either, let’s face it he’s picked a squad (almost) on form not reputation and got a togetherness that rivals our lot in 15/16. A solid 8.5 for me. 

26 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Pickford - 8 -  Slow sloppy start in the group stages, but was simply faultless and outstanding in the knockout stages. Pulled off some heroic saves and was the hero in colombia penalty shootout.

Walker- 6 - Being generous if being honest at times headed away some vital headers when in danger but some his decision making was poor, not being played in his natural position and can't say he's enjoying playing there.

Stones - 7 - Never rated him pre this tournament but instead he's actually raised his game and been fantastic. Sometimes there's has been some weird decisions in his game but other than that he should be pleased.

Maguire - 8.5- Probably one England's best player in this tournament, pulled of some vital tackles and headers plus assisted in quite a few goals including grabbing one himself. Be proud Harry and in this short time shown a lot of maturity. Needs to be careful though on his back passing.

Trippier- 8.5 - Outstanding and faultless and not put a foot wrong at all, what a player he'll become. Possible candidate for player of the tournament alongside Maguire.

Young- 6 - At times he looked shown a bit of experience and quality, but sadly he just tires to quickly and once he's tired he's very error prone and can offer nothing for second half of the game. Without doubt this probably his best and final England tournament display.  

Henderson - 7 - Apart from that pen miss against Colombia can't fault the lad too much, done his job perfectly without doing anything spectacular, an average but decent tournament for him... should have been captain in my eyes.

Ali- 6 - Way too much hype for this lad I'm afraid, apart from an excellent header against Sweden he's had pretty much quiet tournament. For me hasn't looked fit enough and probably in some performances shouldn't have featured. Maybe a fitter Ali would have seen different outcome for him, however if not fit don't play him, the old England used to do this with Rooney and looked what happened?. Six is being generous from me.

Lingard- 6.5- Overall I don't wanna be too harsh on the lad, I think he does try hard and tries to offer something different every time. But considering how he was pre the tournament I'm sure he maybe little disappointed, however I think there's still a lot to come from him in future. I think he needs a little more power in his shots. One good performance against a poor Panama team just isn't enough I'm afraid.

Kane- 7.5- Been an huge improvement since the last tournament, slightly got involved more and putting away some powerful and precise penalties. Until last night he made more of presents and wanted the ball more early on. Mistake however giving him the pressure of the captain's armband, I want the strikers main focus on scoring goals. 

Sterling - 5- Does try hard but he's not a natural striker for me, struggles to stay on his feet, win headers due to his height and put away vital chances. Yes got the pace but if your going to use that, then play him on the wing! that is where belongs. His missed chances have cost England dearly at times.

Other mentions

Dier - 5 - Seen little glimpses of him, in open play he's been that little clumsy I'm afraid, of course he scored that critical penalty but other than that I've seen nothing special from this tournament. 

Vardy - 6 - Given a full 90 minutes against Belgium and looked actually one of the few best players on the field,  set up some great passes for Rashford in that game. Other times we haven't seen much of him, either not getting involved much or not getting the passes just not sure. 

Rashford - 6.5- Little glimpses we've seen of him he's looked good and tried to offer England that something different up front, had a stinker of a game against Belgium but over than that he's came off the bench and looked good, need to use him more. The lad wants the ball and does enjoy running with it, but no one is keeping up with him when he finds himself in a good position in the box.

Cahill- 4 - Was awful against Belgium, very clumsy and looks quite out of place in this new brand of England. Sad really always liked and rated him, but just doesn't fit this system maybe his time has come and gone.

Rose - 6.5 - Every time he comes on, he causes problems for the opposition with his pace. Ash Young is great winger but not a natural wing back, Rose should have been first choice in this role I think.  

Loftus Cheek- 6.5 - He's going to be some player one day, seen him come on in that crunch game against Tunisia at the beginning and what impact he was, running at the opposition, keeping the ball and putting some great passes into the box. Started the next two games and for some reason the spark weren't there. I don't know perhaps he's more of threat when coming on from the bench, need to see more of him though.

Welbeck- 5 - Seen barely anything of him, should have played him. If being honest been treated quite poorly. 

Can't believe youve gave Vardy a 6 and Sterling a 5 lol