Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Loan watch 2018-19

Interesting to see where he will fit in if he doesn't go out on loan next season. At Cb we have Soyuncu and Benkovic as backup with Maguire and Evans as starters (at the moment)

In Dm we have Ndidi, Choudhury and Mendy. Next year has to be the year he breaks through as he is 21 now, question is where and who will miss out on a spot in the 18.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, some good performances from Knight from League 1 are promising, but I highly doubt they're enough to get him into the first team next season. He'll probably get a Championship loan next season, and not get recalled because we already have Mendy/Hamza/Ndidi in the DM position which he seems to plausibly be transitioning to, and even more competition in the CB positions. For sure it's plausible that we have some new graduates from our academy in the next three years or so, but nobody is standing out aside from maybe Tavares who is still 18. Sometimes, the top tier academies in Europe, e.g. Lyon, Ajax, Inter, don't get any graduates to the first team in a year. I'll be more than happy if we keep giving our youngsters chances, however, who knows if we can keep up our current rate.

Knight is an outside shot for sure. I agree on the championship loan. Out of our last academy bunch he is probably the most promising. I'd expect one or two academy graduates in the squad and occasionally on the bench next season.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Darnell didn't make the Hibs squad again. What a pointless loan. Would have been better staying with the u23s in hindsight.

I might be talking nonsense here but i dont think were very good at loaning players out. We seem to keep players in the 23's for far too long, then when they go out on loan they never seem to be that successful? Barnes and Chilwell have done well in recent years but they are exceptional footballers.

15 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I might be talking nonsense here but i dont think were very good at loaning players out. We seem to keep players in the 23's for far too long, then when they go out on loan they never seem to be that successful? Barnes and Chilwell have done well in recent years but they are exceptional footballers.

Hamza was on loan for a bit. Elder has been out on loan seemingly forever. Moore seems to have been given to OHL. Tom Lawrence was loaned and then sold. Knight's loan would have been better if not for injury. Darnell was injured, red carded then not wanted after a really promising preseason. Apparently loads of clubs wanted Sam Hughes on loan before his injury.

Of the three loans that have worked - Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza - then you're right: they already showed a lot of promise before the loan.

There's a school of thought, echoed by Spurs's frankly great academy, that loans aren't that useful and players would be better staying in the u23s and then plunging them into the first team: that's certainly happened with Poch's youngsters. And it more or less happened with Hamza.

I'd still like to see how Knight etc fair in the championship if only for my own entertainment. But if we can put them in the u23s and have them train with the first team then plunge them into the first team and it works then I'm fine with it.

21 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Hamza was on loan for a bit. Elder has been out on loan seemingly forever. Moore seems to have been given to OHL. Tom Lawrence was loaned and then sold. Knight's loan would have been better if not for injury. Darnell was injured, red carded then not wanted after a really promising preseason. Apparently loads of clubs wanted Sam Hughes on loan before his injury.

Of the three loans that have worked - Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza - then you're right: they already showed a lot of promise before the loan.

There's a school of thought, echoed by Spurs's frankly great academy, that loans aren't that useful and players would be better staying in the u23s and then plunging them into the first team: that's certainly happened with Poch's youngsters. And it more or less happened with Hamza.

I'd still like to see how Knight etc fair in the championship if only for my own entertainment. But if we can put them in the u23s and have them train with the first team then plunge them into the first team and it works then I'm fine with it.

Some good points here and there are pros and cons to loaning players out. We are clearly working towards a system of playing/style under Rodgers and similar to Barce and Man City we should have all the younger squads learning to play a similar style.

So whilst loaning players out can give them vital experience, it doesnt help them develop into a first team player here if they are not playing for a team adopting a similar style of play to us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2019 at 16:29, TheMightySystem said:

Interesting to see where he will fit in if he doesn't go out on loan next season. At Cb we have Soyuncu and Benkovic as backup with Maguire and Evans as starters (at the moment)

In Dm we have Ndidi, Choudhury and Mendy. Next year has to be the year he breaks through as he is 21 now, question is where and who will miss out on a spot in the 18.

Didn't see that quote - thanks. I wonder if he could fit into DM if Mendy leaves. If we do sell Maguire then he has a decent chance on the bench. I don't fancy his chances behind Evans, Maguire, Benk, Soyuncu and Morgan though. He's currently fourth place DM and joint fifth place CB. He could have a rock solid pre season and fight his way up to fourth place CB and third place DM.

I'm not sure if that quote means Knight or their manger isn't keen on loans. Depending on how transfers pan out, I'd imagine a championship loan would be the best.

Edited by Foxxed

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Cup final today for benko

question is - does Lennon pick someone who will be there next season or benko ?  Given how unlikely it is that Celtic lose, I suspect benko can look forward to an afternoon on his backside .......

Isn’t one of their other centre backs already signed for someone else? Also the possibility of him staying on loan for another season, so could possibly start. Might have a bit of a watch if he does start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Didn't see that quote - thanks. I wonder if he could fit into DM if Mendy leaves. If we do sell Maguire then he has a decent chance on the bench. I don't fancy his chances behind Evans, Maguire, Benk, Soyuncu and Morgan though. He's currently fourth place DM and joint fifth place CB. He could have a rock solid pre season and fight his way up to fourth place CB and third place DM.

I'm not sure if that quote means Knight or their manger isn't keen on loans. Depending on how transfers pan out, I'd imagine a championship loan would be the best.

Didn't consider it could be the manager talking actually, championship loan probably would be the best next season. Gives another year for Choudhury to claim his first team spot, let Mendys contract run down and have knight as backup DM in the 20/21 season.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

We should sell Mendy and loan Knight out next season, to a Championship team. 

Selling mendy would leave us so threadbare in there I think, even if Tielemans does sign. Hamza and Ndidi aren’t enough by themselves.

26 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thought the same. 

I Would have thought Lennon picks his strongest team, if he loses the "treble treble" he's 

probably not there next year so,not picking Benkovic means he feels he has better players.

Would be interested in @henrik_62 opinion

17 minutes ago, Tiny earl said:

I Would have thought Lennon picks his strongest team, if he loses the "treble treble" he's 

probably not there next year so,not picking Benkovic means he feels he has better players.

He is on now, maybe he wasnt picked from the start due to his recent injury. 

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Selling mendy would leave us so threadbare in there I think, even if Tielemans does sign. Hamza and Ndidi aren’t enough by themselves.

I think if we signed MacGregor who we've been linked with iirc, he can cover for right back as well as all the midfield positions, we could comfortably sell Mendy. That is dependant on his signing though you are correct.

On 25/05/2019 at 16:27, Tiny earl said:

Just seeing this, was a heavy weekend lol!

Well it's a weird one, Benkovic is undoubtedly our strongest CB however since he was out injured Ajer and Simunovic have been peerless and haven't deserved to be dropped so I guess the manager has just been loyal to those who have had the jerseys and taken their chance.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 17:28, Nicolo Barella said:

I think if we signed MacGregor who we've been linked with iirc, he can cover for right back as well as all the midfield positions, we could comfortably sell Mendy. That is dependant on his signing though you are correct.

McGregor can and has filled in at LB on several occasions for us but I couldn't see him doing similar at RB.  He's strong on his weaker foot (right) but not strong enough to play RB, especially at EPL level.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

McGregor can and has filled in at LB on several occasions for us but I couldn't see him doing similar at RB.  He's strong on his weaker foot (right) but not strong enough to play RB, especially at EPL level.

Thank you, good to know. I think Amartey would suffice for a season then as RB cover. Although we should be looking into scouting a good young RB

• Like 1