Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Benkovic January Recall?

https://celtsarehere.com/reports-claim-benkovic-injury-fear-could-see-him-return-to-leicester/

FILIP BENKOVIC is unlikely to take part in Celtic’s game against St Johnstone on Wednesday night BUT reports today suggest the Croatian’s injury is feared to be much worse than how Brendan Rodgers described it yesterday.
During his pre-match press conference for CelticTV, the Celtic manager admitted the defender had picked up a knock and he would be assessed over the coming days.

If reports are to be believed the defender could be out for a substantial part of the second half of the season and could head back to his parent club for treatment.

Nothing has been confirmed at this point and we have our fingers crossed this isn’t the case with so many big games coming up. Celtic are already without Dedryck Boyata and to lose Benkovic for any period of time would be a massive blow. Both players will leave Celtic at the end of the season and the manager will have to deal with their absence then but hopefully that timetable has not been pushed up so close to the deadline.

Benkovic has so far made 26 appearances after coming in on loan from Leicester who paid £13million plus for Filip in the summer from Zagreb according to Transermarkt.

Not good, he has had a few knocks so far this year that has led him to miss games :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

https://celtsarehere.com/reports-claim-benkovic-injury-fear-could-see-him-return-to-leicester/

FILIP BENKOVIC is unlikely to take part in Celtic’s game against St Johnstone on Wednesday night BUT reports today suggest the Croatian’s injury is feared to be much worse than how Brendan Rodgers described it yesterday.
During his pre-match press conference for CelticTV, the Celtic manager admitted the defender had picked up a knock and he would be assessed over the coming days.

If reports are to be believed the defender could be out for a substantial part of the second half of the season and could head back to his parent club for treatment.

Nothing has been confirmed at this point and we have our fingers crossed this isn’t the case with so many big games coming up. Celtic are already without Dedryck Boyata and to lose Benkovic for any period of time would be a massive blow. Both players will leave Celtic at the end of the season and the manager will have to deal with their absence then but hopefully that timetable has not been pushed up so close to the deadline.

Benkovic has so far made 26 appearances after coming in on loan from Leicester who paid £13million plus for Filip in the summer from Zagreb according to Transermarkt.

Not good, he has had a few knocks so far this year that has led him to miss games :( 

He does appear to be the sort to miss 2 out of every 10 he plays which is a worry, but then again Maguire is looking a little injury prone this season too. With the abundance of centre halves we've got, we might need to keep most of them!

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He does appear to be the sort to miss 2 out of every 10 he plays which is a worry, but then again Maguire is looking a little injury prone this season too. With the abundance of centre halves we've got, we might need to keep most of them!

I agree, i cant find anything up-to date with regards to what his injuries have been at Celtic. Hopefully its not something recurring and just 'one off's.'  He is young so hopefully he heals fast but it is worrying. :( 

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I agree, i cant find anything up-to date with regards to what his injuries have been at Celtic. Hopefully its not something recurring and just 'one off's.'  He is young so hopefully he heals fast but it is worrying. :( 

This seems to be his third injury and each time they sound like they could be nasty but the previous two he's recovered very quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Hardly charity is it?

You buy someone for 13m and loan him to a Club that failed to buy him 12 months earlier (because the fee is out of their sphere) ....mmm seems very charitable to me. Now he is injured, may be because he came back to soon after being injured against Rangers??  LCFC first from now on.

He won't be playing on astro pitches here. Has been proven they can and do cause injuries and not just on the match day. If he comes back I hope he's named in the squad so he can play one or two. Long as he should be fit before the seasons end. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

They've paid for the privilege.

Benkovic going to Celtic has always been for the interests of Leicester City. Don't know why you'd think we'd send him on loan for no reason? He's gone there to develop as a player and it seems like he's doing it very well which is great news for us.

Considering CB is probably where our squad is deepest, it's better that he's on loan and learning the game by playing in a winning team that plays attractive football every week.

Yeah ....and most weeks he is pitting himself against forwards that would struggle to get a game in the National League.  No problem with loan, shame it was not in the Championship. Anyway, I hope he will be coming back now to receive treatment from OUR excellent Physio guys.

Reading on the Celtic forum a lot of them seem to think that the constant switching between normal and plastic pitches is what is causing him, and also a lot of other players, to get injuries

This season he previously had a knee injury, now it is a leg injury, can be quite easily caused on a plastic pitch with how the surface can differ, a slight slip or his foot getting stuck slightly is all it takes, especially if he is aggravating an old similar injury

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

Benkovic, Maguire & Evans seem to get a lot of injuries, if we’re playing in Europe next season we might need 5 CBs in the squad

Maguire was an ever present until he got injured at Cardiff when a huge lump fell on him as he landed on his knee, he's not an injury prone error

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Benkovic, Maguire & Evans seem to get a lot of injuries, if we’re playing in Europe next season we might need 5 CBs in the squad

Maguire missing pre season and getting a knock early on has led to his hit and miss season. Benkovic switching between plastic and normal pitches continuously, which doesn't happen in the prem. 

On 17/01/2019 at 13:53, Celtic_daft1888 said:

He done an interview with Celtic TV not that long ago where he was saying that playing for the club was amazing etc and it would prepare him for the PL. He’s committed to Leicester. He is enjoying it though. Playing with a massive smile on his face. I look forward to seeing how he gets on down south. He will be sorely missed up here. 

He hurt his knee at Aberdeen yet jumped back in three days later at Rangers.  The Daily Record interview reads like basic rah-rah stuff for the Celtic fans, but in the context of his injuries we should have paid closer attention.

Ten minutes into his Old Firm debut Filip Benkovic knew he wasn’t right.  The pain in his knee that had surfaced at Pittordrie a week previously had flared up again at Ibrox ... The big Croat had tried to block it out in the build-up.  So desperate to feature against Rangers, Benkovic says he’d have started the game with just one leg ... he knows now he shouldn’t have been on the pitch.  Benkovic was off the pace from the start eventually he limped off.

The 21-year-old said: “My knee is good again. I had the problem for a few weeks in December but it’s OK again.  “I still feel it a little bit but I can do everything on the pitch. If it stays like this, everything will be fine.  During the Rangers match, I felt the same pain I’d felt at Aberdeen the week before in the 10th minute.  I knew then that it was impossible to continue so I told the coach and we made the decision to come off.  Before the game I’d taken some medicine, a lot of stuff, but it didn’t help. We had a few injuries already in defence and sometimes you get days like that. It was tough, you know. But I tried. I just wasn’t going to make it.

“In hindsight, maybe I shouldn’t have played. But when you’re a footballer you want to play in every game – especially that one!  You play football for games like that."

A very young man with a name to make, he is not the best judge of his own long-term interests, much less those of his parent club.

He's not going to make his career with a year in the SPL.  But he could certainly damage it.  LCFC need to get him back with the parent club staff for treatment, and play it very conservatively as to when he is fully ready to practice and play again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see some deranged Celtic Muppets are kicking off again on Benko's Instagram pages.  Rather than risk further injury on plastic pitches in a Pub League, I wish our Club would recall him and get him healthy for our pre-season.

• Like 1