Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Thought i'd pop on just to see the general opinions after the weekend, wasn't actually planning on posting but can't bite my tongue, sorry.

This place sometimes :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

To find many threads regarding Wes with claims he "should never play for us again" and the vitriol aimed towards him.

After all the snide comments i've received over the weeks.

Besides "he's been alright, fine this season" hasn't he. :wes:

Just for confirmation, looking at a few of the threads and comments the general concensus is that the "hate" (Note I use quotation marks, thats what people seem to call unpopular and negative opinions these days) and slagging off is allow now, right?! :unsure: :dunno:

Oh right, like the Dragovic situation last season?

He came in when Wes wasn't able to play last season, did a better job than him but as soon as Wes was available again he was straight back in the team, underperfoming and making mistakes.

Seems like the situation is reoccuring this season.

It really does seem like a case of Wes being one of Puel's favourites.

For the record I admit I do go OTT in this discussion (and many others) but it's born out of massive frustration, I respect him for what he's done for us and he is a legend but his legacy is being trarnished now.

Deep down my frustration's probably aren't aimed at Wes per se but for Puel selecting him whenever possible, when there were options before and there are certainly options now, it's not Wes' fault he's being selected every week.

Maybe we will get lucky and Morgan will get a three-match ban. Then Evans or someone else will have to step up and secure the position. 

2 hours ago, TonyN11 said:

put him on the next flight to Salzburg so he can be governess to the Von Trap family

and BTW, even if the Reverend Mother allowed it, he wouldn't get in the RB Salzburg team

?

I love him and by all accounts he's a thoroughly nice guy - which shows given you can see how much everyone respects him. I suspect he knows his time as a first teamer is coming to a close, and I think Puel must also know this. Frankly, unless our CB alternatives are all absolutely shocking, Wes should not be starting league games beyond injury issues now. We simply cannot have a CB that receives so many yellow and red cards, it will lose us a lot of points.

2 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

I also thought we should of cashed on him when Newcastle wanted him last year, plus him coming back messed it up with Dragovic becoming a permanent signing for us, I was very disappointed with that outcome! 

Dragovic was a different issue though. He looked capable but apparently the buyout clause was around £20m. Is he worth that much really? We only played him for a few games at CB and he looked good, but for £20m (and probably a massive salary) I suspect the recruitment team thought better players were available. Maybe he would have been a great signing, but by the looks of it he is once again struggling at Leverkusen.

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

I love him and by all accounts he's a thoroughly nice guy - which shows given you can see how much everyone respects him. I suspect he knows his time as a first teamer is coming to a close, and I think Puel must also know this. Frankly, unless our CB alternatives are all absolutely shocking, Wes should not be starting league games beyond injury issues now. We simply cannot have a CB that receives so many yellow and red cards, it will lose us a lot of points.

Dragovic was a different issue though. He looked capable but apparently the buyout clause was around £20m. Is he worth that much really? We only played him for a few games at CB and he looked okay, but for £20m (and probably a massive salary) I suspect the recruitment team thought better players were available.

Was Dragovic worth 20m??  So we signed Evans on peanuts each week, Soyuncu who cannot speak English and farmed out Benkovic to the Beazer Homes League.  How much did that cost I wonder?  Our recruitment team are top notch.

41 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Maybe we will get lucky and Morgan will get a three-match ban. Then Evans or someone else will have to step up and secure the position. 

Why would he get a 3 match ban? 

Edited by Leeds Fox

He has to be respected for what he has achieved with the club, and he isn't the only one who has had bad performances but surely most can agree that now is the time for him to be at least phased out of the first team. 

It's more frustrating given that we appear to have other players available, we recruited 3 new CB's as others have pointed out but we seem to continue with Morgan regardless. People will sometimes question Maguire and the mistakes he is prone to making but the big difference is that Maguire still has his best years to come and is also the type of player (who in his current form) can win you games. For me, there are just too many cons in selecting Morgan week in-week out at the moment and he isn't going to get any better as he ages. 

• Like 1

For now evans the only option. Soyuncu is struggling with u23 and surely, benaloiane isn't an option

Againts arsenal we are underdog so 90 min and maybe one or two u23 match will help to sharpen his fitness. 

Then he will dispose morgan again when hes fully fit, he's done that once at wolves

2 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

When a man lifts the premier league and then becomes a “problem” the world is officially mental 

Eh no. He was phenomenal that year but the last 18 months, since that back injury under Shakespeare, he's looked a shadow of that player. It's a sad decline.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

When a man lifts the premier league and then becomes a “problem” the world is officially mental 

Why? As many have said the guys a legend, but winning the premier league doesn't make him immune to criticism. It doesn't mean he's undroppable forever. Older players lose ability, they decline. That happening to wes and the team is suffering, so yes, he's becoming a problem.

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh no. He was phenomenal that year but the last 18 months, since that back injury under Shakespeare, he's looked a shadow of that player. It's a sad decline.

He isn’t a problem he is a legend , he doesn’t pick the team , little respect needed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Why? As many have said the guys a legend, but winning the premier league doesn't make him immune to criticism. It doesn't mean he's undroppable forever. Older players lose ability, they decline. That happening to wes and the team is suffering, so yes, he's becoming a problem.

It’s transgressed respectful critique of his ability , which has sadly dropped , some people are now being disrespectful , which is sad 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

:appl:

1 minute ago, FilbertFrog said:

It’s transgressed respectful critique of his ability , which has sadly dropped , some people are now being disrespectful , which is sad 

This is not personal against Wes.  People are just stating that in 'their' opinion, he is no longer up to the speed and rigors of the PL.  2 Red cards in half-dozen games is not acceptable. 

57 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

He isn’t a problem he is a legend , he doesn’t pick the team , little respect needed 

He's a legend and a problem, he can be both. All good things come to an end. It's nothing against Morgan, it's for the good of the team. One or two comments in here have been disrespectful,  the rest have been level headed and simply make the point that despite how much of legend he is and how much we love him, he's no longer good enough to play at premier league level.

• Like 3

He's now fouling more than the filthiest of dogs - a consequence of him compromising for his failing pace.

Our recruitment seems to have been very poor in this area. How do we solve our current issue? I dunno. Play Evans more in the short term I guess and urgently look at our defence in January?

Like others have said though, he is and always will be a club legend. It's sad to see his decline and sad that he maybe cannot see this and that it's time to let go and move on. :(