Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

30 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

Benkovic doing great at Celtic reading the reactions to his performances and read that he's recovered from his injury. Surely it's time to recall him to our squad, cos defensivelly we are rubbish 

Are you serious? He's played a handful of games at most and then got injured. We have Evans who is a solid replacement. 

Stop screaming for loan recalls after a few games Jesus 

17 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Puel being blamed for Morgan getting sent off today I’ve heard it all now lol

Always backed the big man but lately he’s been so ponderous, slow and inadequate. Got praise for his performance at Newcastle but personally think he was poor and could’ve been caught out several times. Can’t be starting for us anymore, 2 reds in 6 games is becoming a form of liability.

Puel gets blamed because he continues to play him regardless of his performances.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I don't believe for a second Puel is scared to drop Wes. Puel must think that Wes is the best player he has for that position and for all I know he might be right.

Therein lies the problem. If Puel thinks this, then questions have to be asked of the Recruitment Team, who effectively gave Puel 3 alternatives.   Now buying for the future (Benkovic) is excellent planning, BUT ignoring the present is not so clever.  Puel needs to sort this quickly, or else more people will turn on him.  In parts today we were very good.  But Morgan's Red could have been avoided.  The last 20 minutes we were shambolic.

Ultimately that's two sendings off in three games for repeated fouling. He's getting exposed, not because of the system so much as because he can't cope with the pace of the game anymore. That said, Evans has looked a week link every time he's played and could have cost us as much as Wes has but for profligacy from Wolves and Huddersfield, and Soyuncu is presumably not up to speed yet so what's Puel to do?

Before the season started, Morgan had been booked 20 times for us and sent off twice in nearly six years. This season he’s already been booked 4 times, equalling two red cards. That’s enough to show his decline. An average of just over 3 yellow cards a season with a 0.33 red card average before the season started and he’s already nearly trumped that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Ultimately that's two sendings off in three games for repeated fouling. He's getting exposed, not because of the system so much as because he can't cope with the pace of the game anymore. That said, Evans has looked a week link every time he's played and could have cost us as much as Wes has but for profligacy from Wolves and Huddersfield, and Soyuncu is presumably not up to speed yet so what's Puel to do?

Amartey to centre back. If he moves Periera to right back play albrighton or Ghezzal on the wing, or bring Simpson in at right back if he wants to keep playing Periera as a winger. Amartey is a naturally a central player anyway, and at times I feel he drifts inside when playing right back. I think he did well today when moved into centre of defence. He has pace and strength.

The other option of course it to accept that Evans is a proven premier league centre back who for whatever reason might need a few games to settle, so play him, ride through it and let him get settled.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

Before the season started, Morgan had been booked 20 times for us and sent off twice in nearly six years. This season he’s already been booked 4 times, equalling two red cards. That’s enough to show his decline. An average of just over 3 yellow cards a season with a 0.33 red card average before the season started and he’s already nearly trumped that. 

Surely it's not nearly but full on trumped? 2 reds in 6 years followed by 2 in 6 games, 3 yellows a season for 6 years followed by 4 in 6 games. That's an eclipsing of the previous stats however you look at it. 

I'm a big fan of the guy: As someone stated earlier he's far outdone what we expected from the big plodder arriving from Forest, but unfortunately he looks to be dropping off a cliff edge. Problem is the alternative options, I'm tending towards the latter POV Facecloth just wrote above at the moment while we buy time to bed in and work on the younger new arrivals.

Edited by Carl the Llama

As much as I agree Morgan shouldn’t be starting,

i think it’s discusting how some talk of him,

our most successful ever captain,

yes is a yard or two off but let’s be abut more dignified in our criticism,

I couldn’t imagine someone talking like that about Walsh’s and he played for cov after us,

i just think we should show a little respect 

to our captain 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Get Söyüncü up to speed quickly

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Pretty much how Wasilewski went. 

Nothing like, Was put his tackles in in danger areas. Wes today was half way line and no danger. The guy really has lost it. Yes been great but can't live of past glories playing like that. He cost us that game. 

I thought the second red was a touch harsh, though I understand the decision, and didn't actually think that Wes was one of our biggest problems today. He's been over-exposed at times this season and we have to look at why that happens, which may go some way to explaining why Maguire has also been quite poor, and Evans when he's stepped in.

12 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Drop the **** forever. It's pretty fcuking simple.

....the **** that has worn the armband & been an integral part of our team for the past 6 yrs who has never let us down & led us through the greatest era in our history?!?!

His time is coming to an end which is clear to all of us but you should hang your head in shame making such embarrassingly disrespectful comments to such a legend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1