Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

Thought at the time that that had been a career-ending performance. Not so angry now, more sad. Wes found games against Huddersfield, Wolves reserves and Newcastle easy enough. But play him against a proper PL side that doesn't play with a Rondon-ilke lump up front and it's plain to see. He's gone.

Step forward Jonny Evans.

Next season's back four will very likely be Perreira Soyoncu Maguire Chilwell, but this season is about giving Ricardo & Caglar time to acclimatise.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I’ve watched the replay of the second booking and I feel for Wes, that was a shocking lack of sportsmanship by Richarlison. Blatant play acting and cheating to influence a weak referee. 

But our 34 year old captain CB fell for it. Wes is in the team for his experience. The way he fell for Richarlisons game is unacceptable. If he doesn’t have the experience to negotiate himself out of positions such as that. Why exactly is he in the team ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I’ve watched the replay of the second booking and I feel for Wes, that was a shocking lack of sportsmanship by Richarlison. Blatant play acting and cheating to influence a weak referee. 

So putting Richarlison on the floor a few minutes before - which was pointless and should have resulted in a second booking - is to be forgotten about.

Morgan should not be starting.

• Like 1

Well we completed step 1 in that we bought not just one but three replacement centre backs. Now for step 2: phase him out of the team.

I don't agree with any nonsense like Wes is picking the team or has too much influence or whatever - I think Söyüncü isn't ready and Evans hasn't been up to much in training. In essence, Puel still thinks that Wes is the best man for the job.

Evans now has two huge games to prove that he should be starting ahead of Wes. 

• Like 3

In the great escape season, I started a thread slating Morgan after the Villa FA Cup match and gladly ate humble pie thereafter. 

Therefore, I'm not going to be too harsh however its pretty obvious he's only having about 1 decent game in 3 for us so its probably time to start Evans (latest performances better than modt give him credit for in my view) and have Wes as back up.

Lastly, no need for the disrespectful comments 'fvck off' comments to a guy who will deservedly have a statue outside the ground at some point in the future.

• Like 3

He’s been top class for since arriving but his times coming to an end but he’s still decent cover. I said yesterday he’ll get sent off and the tackle before the one he got sent off for he could of had another yellow for, Puel needs to take most of the blame because he didn’t take him off like silva did to Davis. 

• Like 1

Wes is a top top bloke, and has been a great professional, however Huth was the one that made him look a better player that he actually was/is. Yes Wes will always put his body on the line for you, but a great centre back won't have to hurl himself in to blocking as often as Wes does, because he would already be in a better position in the first place. As harsh as it may sound I would prefer we drop/sell Wes now so we can remember the good bits rather than watch him get annihilated week in week out at this level.

• Like 1

Wes has been a good servant for us but his time here is done, in a 3 5 2 he might last the season but the manager does not play that system and asking him to play the current system is just like dangling a worm on a hook for the fish to devour, :dunno: yeah, I'm still half asleep.

.....You have got to admit that that there was a call there to be made in subbing Wes but Puel failed to make it!!

Wes had began to get caught up with contesting with Richarlison which led to his need to constantly have a bite at him every chance he got.

I have a hunch that the reason Wes is starting is because he is not too far away from a milestone in games played (about 700) I think and the club is attempting to get him there whilst in the Premiership. Looks like a great way to finish a career and the reason why he insist on playing, as it now becomes quite clear that he is struggling in games. I suspect the rest of the squad are probably aware of this and is trying to get him there. A move to 3 at the back would do the trick as it would solve most of our problems. More comfortable for Wes and Maguire and Soyuncu can then be bedding in more easily.

Bit of a reach I know but there has got to be a reason why he plays and this may just be another one out of left field?

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The problem for me is that I think he'll be back in for West Ham, but we'll end up having this discussion again by November.

He is banned for that game too. However, I see the point. Next available game he will be in.

I really hope he plays in the cup and Evans now cements a place in the starting XI for PL games. I feel that because he is captain he must play. He should have lost the captaincy really, you can't have the club captain as a reserve, really weird situation.

9 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

He could easily have been given a 2nd when he bungled him off the park earlier. 

Yeh but he wasn’t. The sending off was directly due to play acting by Richarlison. Whether that was retribution for that earlier foul is irrelevant (he made a meal of that too btw). Wes was stupid, Richarlison cheated, the ref was poor!

9 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

He could easily have been given a 2nd when he bungled him off the park earlier. 

Yeh agreed, but he wasn’t. Richarlison got him sent off by making what was arguably not even a foul appear to be a foul that had apparently pretty badly injured the striker. After the red was shown, a remarkable recovery was witnessed - It was cheating. Wes was poor btw, I’m not defending his performance I’m just pointing out that his opponent was/is a cheat. 

• Like 3

Thought i'd pop on just to see the general opinions after the weekend, wasn't actually planning on posting but can't bite my tongue, sorry.

This place sometimes :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

To find many threads regarding Wes with claims he "should never play for us again" and the vitriol aimed towards him.

After all the snide comments i've received over the weeks.

Besides "he's been alright, fine this season" hasn't he. :wes:

Just for confirmation, looking at a few of the threads and comments the general concensus is that the "hate" (Note I use quotation marks, thats what people seem to call unpopular and negative opinions these days) and slagging off is allow now, right?! :unsure: :dunno:

16 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

There is only one guy to blame for Wes still being in the team: Jonny Evans. He's at the peak of his career and should be able to outperform Wes in training and on the pitch. If he were playing up to standard Puel would be starting him.

Oh right, like the Dragovic situation last season?

He came in when Wes wasn't able to play last season, did a better job than him but as soon as Wes was available again he was straight back in the team, underperfoming and making mistakes.

Seems like the situation is reoccuring this season.

It really does seem like a case of Wes being one of Puel's favourites.

For the record I admit I do go OTT in this discussion (and many others) but it's born out of massive frustration, I respect him for what he's done for us and he is a legend but his legacy is being trarnished now.

Deep down my frustration's probably aren't aimed at Wes per se but for Puel selecting him whenever possible, when there were options before and there are certainly options now, it's not Wes' fault he's being selected every week.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1