Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

Just now, rachhere said:

Anyone else in the world I would assume that's what they were going to do... but Theresa May... no way. She will have to be dragged away kicking and screaming. 

I’m free this afternoon if it’s simply down to a lack of volunteers with close combat experience?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

In the news today is Politics and Raheem sterling.  And the poor young lady murdered in NZ, but that is too bloody sad to talk about tbh.

Politics and especially Breggzit is in the news every day and other stuff that's in the news is likely to fall into categories covered by existing threads. For instance the news relating to Raheem Sterling isn't even in this sub-forum. NZ incident neatly falls into Absolute ***** of Our Time as another example. It's nobody's fault or anything, just an observation. 

I'd wager this thread remains 90%+ politics as it is now, and therefore it's likely to attract the same issues as the politics thread which was eventually deemed binworthy. 

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Politics and especially Breggzit is in the news every day and other stuff that's in the news is likely to fall into categories covered by existing threads. For instance the news relating to Raheem Sterling isn't even in this sub-forum. NZ incident neatly falls into Absolute ***** of Our Time as another example. It's nobody's fault or anything, just an observation. 

I'd wager this thread remains 90%+ politics as it is now, and therefore it's likely to attract the same issues as the politics thread which was eventually deemed binworthy. 

We should have a religion thread IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

If I was Theresa, I would ask myself "what would Jesus do?"  Then pretend to be dead and disappear for a few days.

If I was Theresa, I'd ask myself "what's the point" then tell everyone to do one and dance out the commons Eric and Ernie style.

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sturgeon tweets Corbyn saying the SNP will back a motion of no confidence in the Government.

Unless they get the DUP as well there is no chance of it succeeding. 

Corbyn must be shitting himself at the minute - possible he's going to be in charge of this mess soon and could be held to his promises on the deal he claims he could get.

So... in the news... it said three Tories are lining up leadership bids.

The Tories could realistically win a GE at the moment. Labour are four points ahead but a good leader could change that.

But would a Tory actually want to win? No one knows how May could negotiate a better deal. Boris was foreign secretary and he couldn't do shit. Nor could Davis. And a no deal looks like it could break the country.

I half think the Tories may want to lose an election and run away from all this and hope Labour drop this impossible ball.

Even if reelected what could they do right with a new mandate that they couldn't do with an old one?

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody else wondering if May will resign at 3.30 for the good of the party to let another go back to the EU to renegotiate?

The only way I could imagine that happening would be if, behind the scenes, senior Tories have agreed on someone to replace her.....and about half a dozen leading Tories have refused to deny that they might be leadership candidates! :D

Otherwise, there'd have to be a Tory leadership election - probably lasting at least a fortnight among MPs and then at least a month among party members (top 2 as voted by MPs get presented to party members, unless 1 drops out as Leadsom did last time). Cannot see time and circumstances allowing for that - and a high risk of damaging the party's reputation among the electorate.

Also, they must all know that the EU will only make minor concessions to anyone on the current deal. Renegotiating from a completely different standpoint (Norway+ or Canada+ with an alternative solution to the Irish border issue) might be possible with an extension, but surely also unlikely - complications wherever you look. The EU would surely only agree to some alternative strategy like that if it was clear that Parliament would support it?

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The Tories could realistically win a GE at the moment. Labour are four points ahead but a good leader could change that.

Where are you getting that from?? Most recent polls are neck and neck and another hung parliament looks certain.

Edited by MattP

Just now, MattP said:

Where are you getting that from??

I have seen mixed polls, some predicting labour wins. The polling methods they used last time were shown to be ineffective at predicting final outcomes because Brexit opinions aren't confined to party politics. I believe it was only an experimental poll which used various demographics and political opinions to model a predicted outcome (taking into account Brexit in particular related data) who were accurate in predicting the outcome of the last general election. I would like to think they have since updated the way in which they predict the voter outcomes, but who knows how accurate these polls are! 

Here in Ireland, Leo Varadkar said today "This is the only deal on the table, and cannot be reopened".     This would indicate that if the deal cannot be passed by Parliament then the whole thing would have to start again.  Any concessions sought by the UK would be met with counter claims by the EU.   What a mess.

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The only way I could imagine that happening would be if, behind the scenes, senior Tories have agreed on someone to replace her.....and about half a dozen leading Tories have refused to deny that they might be leadership candidates! :D

Otherwise, there'd have to be a Tory leadership election - probably lasting at least a fortnight among MPs and then at least a month among party members (top 2 as voted by MPs get presented to party members, unless 1 drops out as Leadsom did last time). Cannot see time and circumstances allowing for that - and a high risk of damaging the party's reputation among the electorate.

Also, they must all know that the EU will only make minor concessions to anyone on the current deal. Renegotiating from a completely different standpoint (Norway+ or Canada+ with an alternative solution to the Irish border issue) might be possible with an extension, but surely also unlikely - complications wherever you look. The EU would surely only agree to some alternative strategy like that if it was clear that Parliament would support it?

Boris has had a haircut....

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Boris has had a haircut....

Noted.  Seeing as we have established Brexit trumps everything else in British Politics, Boris might as well have a go now; he can hardly do any worse, and would have the balls to go for no deal Brexit, which is by far the best outcome now.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Noted.  Seeing as we have established Brexit trumps everything else in British Politics, Boris might as well have a go now; he can hardly do any worse, and would have the balls to go for no deal Brexit, which is by far the best outcome now.

Boris would probably be a shocking PM - but it's worth appointing him as leader just to clear out all the yellow Tories like Soubry and Morgan. 

I wouldn't let Boris touch anything. 

there are constant, consistent reports of him being lazy, uninformed and incapable - from people who work with or have worked with him within his own party.

he is not going to be the saviour of brexit, or anything for that matter. 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Boris would probably be a shocking PM - but it's worth appointing him as leader just to clear out all the yellow Tories like Soubry and Morgan. 

Much as i hate to say it, Churchill was a shocking PM in peacetime; sometime you need the numpty to get shit done amd instill some confidence.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not sure no deal brexit is anything like an outcome that wouldn’t sink us economically for significant years. Boris isn’t bright enough I don’t think to have enough credibility with his peers. Having said that the US have Trump and I think Boris would be akin to a similar genre of political and social ineptness.

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

News today ...    this is the right thread isn’t it ?

Dont know why women keep moaning about this ...    if you don’t want to look like a cartoon character then don’t get it done ! ...     but if you really insist on doing it then smack yourself in the chops with a hammer ..    much cheaper !     Hang on ..   I can see a business opportunity here ! ...   :)

65F6DA29-55DF-4C2E-806D-6692BE1372F3.jpeg

Well ...  two big topics on the go today ...   women with fat fish like lips ...          and Brexit ...     :)

Just now, lifted*fox said:

I wouldn't let Boris touch anything. 

there are constant, consistent reports of him being lazy, uninformed and incapable - from people who work with or have worked with him within his own party.

he is not going to be the saviour of brexit, or anything for that matter. 

We have tried diligent competence under Theresa, and look where that has got us.  We need someone who believes and can take the country with him;  Let others worry about the details.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We have tried diligent competence under Theresa, and look where that has got us.  We need someone who believes and can take the country with him;  Let others worry about the details.

No thanks Jon! ?

I’d rather have Corbyn if we are just making idealistic compromises without the detail.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1