Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

So the Tories are going to send May back to renegotiate? Or send someone new to renegotiate without a general election? Or call a general election, hope to lose it, install a new leader and wipe their hands of Brexit? Or go for a no deal and risk queues of lorries and ruined businesses? Or accept May's pay-but-no-say Brexit? Great options!

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Has this been announced? Can't see any coverage of it.....

Sky News saying that's what has happened.

She's lost all credibility now, what the hell she is doing I have absolutely no idea.

56 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Meanwhile in Germany the CDU has elected as leader, and potential future Chancellor, a Catholic who is against marriage equality and giving gay couple full adoption rights.  Shame.

Yep.

Social conservatism and the associated rollback of rights for anyone who isn't their favoured demographic is on the rise in Europe and given everything else going on no one seems to either know or care - or if they do, it's what they want.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

She's lost all credibility now, what the hell she is doing I have absolutely no idea.

Sky News web site seems to just have speculation from "senior sources" that the plug could be pulled tonight - but that the vote is still on for now....

Ah, well, we'll soon find out.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Now matt? I would suggest she lost it weeks ago when red line after red line was conveniently forgotten. the whole things a joke now.

Just now, The Guvnor said:

Now matt? I would suggest she lost it weeks ago when red line after red line was conveniently forgotten. the whole things a joke now.

I genuinely want her to explain where she intended to get the 320 odd votes she needed to get this through.

Everyone with any political knowledge could see it didn't stand a chance.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair, it was a Tommy Robinson March no?  I am pro Brexit and indeed no deal from here, but have no interest in his views or motivations and would never in a million years attend a rally he supported or organised.  So that is probably what is behind it.

that's fair comment but where is the march of ordinary, law-abiding, upstanding citizens - our teachers, nurses, celebrities, business owners, etc. who are in favour of brexit?

where's the type of march you would attend? why hasn't anyone organised one? where are even a small fraction of the 17.2 million who voted for a poor deal / no deal brexit? 

seems like these people are happy to kick up a stink from their arm chair but nobody is willing to mobilise to show support. 

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

That's fair comment but where is the march of ordinary, law-abiding, upstanding citizens - our teachers, nurses, celebrities, business owners, etc. who are in favour of brexit?

where's the type of march you would attend? why hasn't anyone organised one? where are even a small fraction of the 17.2 million who voted for a poor deal / no deal brexit? 

seems like these people are happy to kick up a stink from their arm chair but nobody is willing to mobilise to show support. 

We voted and expect the house to implement the decision, I don't vote and then expect to march through London to encourage them to do so.

I'm not a fan of protest marches anyway and don't see the point of them, they achieve nothing. The only way you can really enact change is at the ballot box.

Some people might enjoy turning up with a dog and a placard but I'd imagine most people have better things to do on a weekend.

Edited by MattP

18 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

that's fair comment but where is the march of ordinary, law-abiding, upstanding citizens - our teachers, nurses, celebrities, business owners, etc. who are in favour of brexit?

We are all OAPs and can’t march.

• Haha 1

Just now, Strokes said:

We are all OAPs and can’t march.

And I don't have a dog to take.

Even if I did he'd be a pro-Brexit, racist dog. 

Edited by MattP

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

We voted and expect the house to implement the decision, I don't vote and then expect to march through London to encourage them to do so.

I'm not a fan of protest marches anyway and don't see the point of them, they achieve nothing. The only way you can really enact change us at the ballot box.

Some people might enjoy turning up with a dog and a placard but I'd imagine most people have better things to do on a weekend.

but that's perhaps what it is requiring Matt and it's a somewhat lazy approach on your part, I might suggest. 

you voted for something that now has fierce opposition because it's crap, quite frankly. if ordinary people still want to push through a no-deal brexit, as you voted for then perhaps showing it some support might help. 

it seems to me that most people on the leave side are full of hot air and actually pretty apathetic towards the cause.

I'm sure everyone has better things to be doing with their time, but it hasn't stopped the likes of Steve Bray, Femi Sorry and Madeleina Kay (spellings questionable, cba to look) protesting and fighting for our place in the EU over the last two years. They've given up countless hours of their own time because of their passion for the cause and to say it hasn't achieved anything is untrue. Their efforts have massively encouraged support for a People's Vote and it's looking a possibility. If they just sat on their backsides for the last two years it might not be happening. 

The marches in Paris have reversed the fuel tax. Protests do work - so again, it's clear that Brexit is wobbling - where is the support, voices and protests from every day people who truly want it - not just the racist Tommy contingent? 

it's easy to dismiss people who think the pro-Brexit crowd are just a bunch of racists little englanders but when the only people turning out in support of it are from that demographic, it's easy to see why.

show me 500,000 well-meaning Brexit supporters on the street and people's opinions might be altered. 

Edited by lifted*fox

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would protest if the result of the once in a lifetime referendum was ignored in a second referendum or by a newly elected leader.  I'm only about 10 mins walk from Downing street though, so no biggie.

make sure you put on warm socks and a coat :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

but that's perhaps what it is requiring Matt and it's a somewhat lazy approach on your part, I might suggest. 

you voted for something that now has fierce opposition because it's crap, quite frankly. if ordinary people still want to push through a no-deal brexit, as you voted for then perhaps showing it some support might help. 

it seems to me that most people on the leave side are full of hot air and actually pretty apathetic towards the cause.

I'm sure everyone has better things to be doing with their time, but it hasn't stopped the likes of Steve Bray, Femi Sorry and Madeleina Kay (spellings questionable, cba to look) protesting and fighting for our place in the EU over the last two years. They've given up countless hours of their own time because of their passion for the cause and to say it hasn't achieved anything is untrue. Their efforts have massively encouraged support for a People's Vote and it's looking a possibility. If they just sat on their backsides for the last two years it might not be happening. 

The marches in Paris have reversed the fuel tax. Protests do work - so again, it's clear that Brexit is wobbling - where is the support, voices and protests from every day people who truly want it - not just the racist Tommy contingent? 

it's easy to dismiss people who think the pro-Brexit crowd are just a bunch of racists little englanders but when the only people turning out in support of it are from that demographic, it's easy to see why.

show me 500,000 well-meaning Brexit supporters on the street and people's opinions might be altered. 

Why would 500,000 on the street supersede 17.4million at the ballot box? It wouldn't. 

It's nothing to do with ambivalance, it's to do with expectation - we won the referendum and now parliament needs to enact that, I'm sure you will see protests if that decision isn't. It's ridiculous to call for pro-leave protest now whilst Article 50 has been enacted and the legislation is still in place to see it happen.

As for the "Gilet Juanes" - you need to follow the news more closely if you think they were "marching" - what it shows is that violence works, not protest. Do you think they get that overturned without the civil unrest? Course not - although government should never set policy as resorts to violence, very dangerous precedent. 

Interesting comment from Peston that TM can try to pass a motion to pull the vote, but that motion could well be voted down and the vote go ahead.  What theatre!  She is toast.  I can only imagine she is either resigning or revoking article 50.  The question is, has she got the balls to revoke it and invoke it again the following day?  Reset the clock?

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I vote at the ballot box. I'm not going to skip work to travel to a place I don't like to support something that doesn't, or at the least, shouldn't, need my vocal, placard waving support. 

This is blatantly just the politics thread again and you've already got the same posters pulling the same bullshit again. I suggest if the Politics thread was removed because it wasn't wanted on the sub-forum anymore then this one really needs to go as well....

Just now, ealingfox said:

This is blatantly just the politics thread again and you've already got the same posters pulling the same bullshit again. I suggest if the Politics thread was removed because it wasn't wanted on the sub-forum anymore then this one really needs to go as well....

Nonsense, we are having a perfectly sensible discussion.

The other news blowing up my Twitter today is the Raheem Sterling Racism conversation, where white middle aged journalists are denying racism exists in the media.  Which is almost as ridiculous as BREXIT today.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Why would 500,000 on the street supersede 17.4million at the ballot box? It wouldn't. 

It's nothing to do with ambivalance, it's to do with expectation - we won the referendum and now parliament needs to enact that, I'm sure you will see protests if that decision isn't. It's ridiculous to call for pro-leave protest now whilst Article 50 has been enacted and the legislation is still in place to see it happen.

As for the "Gilet Juanes" - you need to follow the news more closely if you think they were "marching" - what it shows is that violence works, not protest. Do you think they get that overturned without the civil unrest? Course not - although government should never set policy as resorts to violence, very dangerous precedent. 

Are this lot available for hire?

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

I can't see anyone else that has a problem with it, apart from yourself? 

we're all chatting just fine, thanks. 

• Like 2