Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Some of our MP's are a bunch of kids, absolutely pathetic.

A tribute to Heseltine? :blink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-44904748/lord-heseltine-pairing-row-made-me-swing-mace

I can just about remember this scandal - when a young firebrand Heseltine picked up the mace, as the symbol of parliament's authority, and swung it about. He explains above.

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

A tribute to Heseltine? :blink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-44904748/lord-heseltine-pairing-row-made-me-swing-mace

I can just about remember this scandal - when a young firebrand Heseltine picked up the mace, as the symbol of parliament's authority, and swung it about. He explains above.

McDonnell did as well didn't he?

It's just absolutely pathetic, the behaviour today in that place was the worst I've seen from all sides for lots of different reasons.

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

McDonnell did as well didn't he?

It's just absolutely pathetic, the behaviour today in that place was the worst I've seen from all sides for lots of different reasons.

Apparently McDonnell did indeed do the same (2009). I must have missed or forgotten that one.

Quite surprised to see that the Heseltine incident was as early as 1976, as I'd have only been about 14....the politics obsession clearly started early. :D

Only watched about 20 mins of today's coverage. Some pointless, repetitive questions (and a few good ones). The MPs would have to go some to match the outrageous conduct of the Govt, though.

Reactions from senior EU bods suggest that May will only get warm words, not substantive changes to the deal. If so, what's the point of delaying? Presumably doesn't change the outcome - but discredits democracy somewhat and causes more uncertainty for business and public....

May could have stood and fought, but she's running back to squeeze some blood out of the EU stone. Her deal is now worthless, as the EU leaders say there will be no more discussion. We're watching a slow political death.

And the option of going over the cliff with a 'No' deal?  A fall in living standards, shortages of food and medicines, ports blocked? Hands up those who  voted for that.

I've lived in Ireland for over 20 years, and intend to apply for Irish citizenship in the New Year.  Here we may be shaping the rules that you will have accept.

5 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

What annoys me is that she claims she is delivering what "the people want".

No, no she isn't.  She's delivering what she's negotiated which is a long way off what was claimed could be negotiated in the first place. 

Absolutely no one gains anything out of this at all, no one.

The whole thing needs scrapping, start again but this time state the truth over what can and cannot be achieved.  Then take another vote with all viable options, not a load of lies or fantasies, laid out on the table. 

This will never happen, as the remain side will play down what can be achieved, and the leave side will exaggerate what can be achieved.

17 minutes ago, Mayofox said:

May could have stood and fought, but she's running back to squeeze some blood out of the EU stone. Her deal is now worthless, as the EU leaders say there will be no more discussion. We're watching a slow political death. 

And the option of going over the cliff with a 'No' deal?  A fall in living standards, shortages of food and medicines, ports blocked? Hands up those who  voted for that. 

I've lived in Ireland for over 20 years, and intend to apply for Irish citizenship in the New Year.  Here we may be shaping the rules that you will have accept.

There's absolutely no way we'll have shortages of food and medicine supplies.

The country (specifically MPs and the HoC) has had over two years to prepare for this, if they haven't then it can only be blamed upon them.

We were told that A50 couldn't be revoked, now all of a sudden it can be. We were told that there could be no changes to May's deal, now she claims there can be, but the EU claims there won't be. She is going to go down as one of the worst PMs in the history of the UK, she's absolutely spineless, pathetic and a bare faced liar.

How they've not got 48 letters submitted by now sums up the state of politics atm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46513189

In other pigeon related news. Honestly don't know whether to praise the protesters for getting what they wanted or to be baffled that macron folded so easily to what is essentially a tiny fraction of the french population. 

Crazy stuff. 

Incredible precedent to set as well. Macron really is more hopeless than even I thought. 

The Front National will surely be taking note - if you change wage/tax policy through violent protest why not social policy?

46 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

In other pigeon related news. Honestly don't know whether to praise the protesters for getting what they wanted or to be baffled that macron folded so easily to what is essentially a tiny fraction of the french population. 

Crazy stuff. 

Remember when we had protests a few years ago and everyone smashed stuff up?

Pretty sure the govt. just invested in water cannons and rubber bullets in case we try it again lol 

8 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Remember when we had protests a few years ago and everyone smashed stuff up?

Pretty sure the govt. just invested in water cannons and rubber bullets in case we try it again lol 

The water cannon were in the news a couple of weeks ago.... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/19/boris-johnson-unused-water-cannon-sold-for-scrap-at-300000-loss

You honestly couldn't make this up..... lol

"Three unusable water cannon bought by Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London have been sold for scrap, at a net loss of more than £300,000. Johnson bought the crowd-control vehicles from the German police in 2014, in anticipation of social unrest, without checking whether they could be used on London’s streets. In one of his most humiliating episodes as mayor, the then home secretary, Theresa May, banned them from use anywhere in England and Wales. It left the capital’s taxpayers with three expensive white elephants.The current mayor, Sadiq Khan, pledged to claw back as much money as possible on the redundant vehicles by selling them. But after almost two years the mayor’s office admitted defeat in its attempt to find a reputable buyer. It announced on Monday that it had agreed to sell the vehicles for just £11,025 to Reclamations Ollerton, a scrap metal yard in Newark, Nottinghamshire. The fee recoups 3.4% of the £322,834.71 spent on the vehicles since 2014".

• Haha 1

Why do I watch C4 news they seem obsessed with the fishing industry or immigrants.

Just yesterday someone stated we've got to stop people coming into this country, we've go to stop them treating this country like treasure island.  It's incredible that people still believe immigrants are desperate to come here just to claim benefits, benefits which most aren't even entitled too.  The majority of immigrants who do claim are actually working.

Why people constantly believe in these negative stereotypes is beyond me and all I can put it down to is they want to believe it.

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The water cannon were in the news a couple of weeks ago.... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/19/boris-johnson-unused-water-cannon-sold-for-scrap-at-300000-loss

"Three unusable water cannon bought by Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London have been sold for scrap, at a net loss of more than £300,000. Johnson bought the crowd-control vehicles from the German police in 2014, in anticipation of social unrest, without checking whether they could be used on London’s streets. In one of his most humiliating episodes as mayor, the then home secretary, Theresa May, banned them from use anywhere in England and Wales. It left the capital’s taxpayers with three expensive white elephants.The current mayor, Sadiq Khan, pledged to claw back as much money as possible on the redundant vehicles by selling them. But after almost two years the mayor’s office admitted defeat in its attempt to find a reputable buyer. It announced on Monday that it had agreed to sell the vehicles for just £11,025 to Reclamations Ollerton, a scrap metal yard in Newark, Nottinghamshire. The fee recoups 3.4% of the £322,834.71 spent on the vehicles since 2014".

That is fuchin fantastic lol 

Still, I guess Bo Jo could argue its stil cheaper than Macron's solution of increasing wages haha

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That story is so Boris it's beyond pity - I'm sure he actually posed next to them at one point as well.

Coincidentally it also appears to be the only time in living memory that Theresa May didn't U-Turn on a policy. Maybe they were working against him all the way back then lol

6 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

That is fuchin fantastic lol 

Still, I guess Bo Jo could argue its stil cheaper than Macron's solution of increasing wages haha

Yep. Never under-estimate to what extent public life (and private business) proceeds despite the utter incompetence of those in charge. :D

Plus, Macron will be publicly humiliated and weakened in France for his climbdown, whereas most people will be blissfully unaware of this water cannon fiasco - though it might have got more coverage in London?

He might be PM within days/weeks, though his day may have passed.

Anyone know whether Boris spoke in Parliament on the Brexit farce? I've not seen any footage of him in action, which is interesting. If not, I wonder what that says about his leadership ambitions?

• Like 1

Why do MP's asking questions give the PM so much wiggle room to not answer a question?

Prime example yesterday was when someone stood and said "We've still not had a date from the PM on when the vote will be held?..." then babbled on about something completely irrelevant that let May throw out the same nonsense she had throughout the day.

Surely it would be more effective to just say "When will the next vote be held?" and sit down and let her answer. She obviously wouldn't, but it makes her look more ridiculous than wobbling on about nonsense just for air time, which allows the point to become clouded. If May can't answer, the next person should just ask the exact same question until it's answered. Yesterday was basically the same four answers given to 50 questions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simi said:

Why do MP's asking questions give the PM so much wiggle room to not answer a question?

Prime example yesterday was when someone stood and said "We've still not had a date from the PM on when the vote will be held?..." then babbled on about something completely irrelevant that let May throw out the same nonsense she had throughout the day.

Surely it would be more effective to just say "When will the next vote be held?" and sit down and let her answer. She obviously wouldn't, but it makes her look more ridiculous than wobbling on about nonsense just for air time, which allows the point to become clouded. If May can't answer, the next person should just ask the exact same question until it's answered. Yesterday was basically the same four answers given to 50 questions.

I know, I was thinking this! Just ask one very precise question. 

20 minutes ago, Simi said:

When did any politician give a straight answer to a direct question they're renowned for avoiding them, all of them it's a standing joke.

Why are so surprised?

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

When did any politician give a straight answer to a direct question they're renowned for avoiding them, all of them it's a standing joke.

Why are so surprised?

I'm not surprised, it just annoys me. I think it would be effective to simply ask the precise question. 

9 hours ago, Mayofox said:

Remind me again how many times Ireland voted to leave before the “right” result was attained 

20 hours ago, ealingfox said:

This is blatantly just the politics thread again and you've already got the same posters pulling the same bullshit again. I suggest if the Politics thread was removed because it wasn't wanted on the sub-forum anymore then this one really needs to go as well....

May I politely suggest that you just don't read this thread. There are hundreds of threads that I don't read because they don't interest me.

20 hours ago, ealingfox said:

The pigeon stuff is also incredibly dull and not funny at all.

I refer you to my previous answer. Humour is a personal thing.

12 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

In the absence of a politics thread....

Classic.

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Crazy stuff. 

It's all a complete joke. The first week of protests there weren't many protesters but they had the backing of the population as the increase in fuel tax was astronomical. After that the number of protesters nationwide declined, their antics deteriorated and the population stopped backing them. The government held to their line. Now there are very few bationwide protesters but they are rioting and breaking cultural symbols. Macron has sort of backed down and the protests still won't stop because it's not cold enough and not raining.

Macron is easily the best candidate at the moment and possibly the most reasonable leader France has had for several decades. He has made mistakes, especially by not taxing the rich more but he's still far better than LePen and Melenchon who are the only viable alternatives thanks to Fillon's meltdown and yet still being able to beat Juppé.

The French are complaining about the climate problems and the pollution in the big cities - Macron has made a big stand to do something about it but the people don't really want to pay for a future life, they don't won't it to cost them. The fact that he's announced an increase in the min wage by 100euros today is a slap in the face for those of us who have shitty wages and actually spent 10 years in Uni for the privilige. His taxing of pensioners is a joke and reduction on taxes of rich is a joke but overall he's head and shoulders better than the alternatives.

The French are basically whining fools who don't realise what a wonderful chance they have to have been born in France rather than almost every other country in the world. Thank allah they are not Rwandans.