Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-46498827/brexit-i-feel-deep-sense-of-responsibility-says-boris-johnson

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/07/09/uk/boris-johnson-resignation-letter-intl/index.html

These aren't the words of an enthusiastic man. These are the words of a man who's accepted defeat.

And the MP for the City of London is remain.

If there are tons of Tories who will vote against her I'll take your word for it.

Nothing there at all says he has any regret over Brexit, just that he feels deep responsibility for it.

You realise Conservative party policy is to leave the European Union don't you? The vote tonight doesn't really have any bearing on that - some hardline Eurosceptics will vote against her like Rees-Mogg and Bridgen and some will vote for her like Leadsom and Fox.

Mark Field voted Remain but is committed to upholding the result.

Boris resignation was fairly interesting.

He claimed May hadn't prepared for a no brexit.

How is she going to make it so over 50% of our imports and 45% of our exports aren't dependent on the EU?

Paddle us to Australia so we're more dependent on the Oriental markets instead?

13 minutes ago, surrifox said:

The 20 billion is my recollection of the financial support provided in the form of soft loans and outright grants to prop up their banking system . I'm not denying that it was in our interests to prevent it collapsing but the support came from individual states not the EU (and fair play they have addressed the issue and made restitution after rebuilding the economy).

One of the big multinationals , Apple has been using Ireland as a base for evading Corporation Tax. The EU has rightly ruled against such anti- competitive practice and ordered Ireland to assess CT on the company which would stick them with a bill running into billions and sending them shuffling off to the next tax haven. Ireland are reluctant to comply with the EU ruling and appear to have ignored it, having realised there's nothing they can say to mitigate such a breach of EU rules.

Sooner or later someone will ask the question why are Cyprus allowed to operate virtually their entire growing financial services industry on the back of a massive Russian based money laundering operation which adds legitimacy to  the operation as its happening in plain sight. If you are a foreign  buyer for some of the high priced apartments and other properties ( mostly foreign owned )  in Central London  an incentive offered is EU citizenship (via a Cypriot passport). Pretty sure that whoring your citizenship must breach EU rules (haven't checked) and I'm not proud that we tolerate such practices happening here. It does demonstrate that we don't have the monopoly on hypocrisy when the EU are also in the game.

Largely agree with your comments here.

I was vaguely aware of the Apple case but didn't know what was happening now. Seems it's still ongoing - both Apple and Ireland have appealed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_illegal_State_aid_case_against_Apple_in_Ireland#Appeal_(ongoing)

It shows how much Ireland bases its economy on low corporate taxation that they're appealing against a ruling that Apple should pay them up to 20bn Euros in unpaid tax! :blink:

Can't blame them to some extent, as the country is geographically remote from major markets for goods (apart from UK), has a small population/domestic market & few natural resources (apart from lots of rain, wind & turf!), but don't really approve of that sort of economic model....precisely the sort we could end up with (plus plenty more "whoring") if we end up isolated in the global shark pool post-Brexit. I imagine Cyprus is up to dodgy stuff for similar economic reasons, helping to distort the London & UK housing market as it does so.

Article here about the post-crash loans to Ireland and their repayment: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/state-averts-200m-uk-penalty-amid-bailout-refinancing-1.3212780

Seems that some of them have indeed been repaid early, but not yet the one to the UK (£3.23bn) as they'd have been contractually obliged to pay extra if they repaid before 2019-2021, as arranged.

These are lots of different examples of big money directly or indirectly messing up the lives of ordinary people....

• Like 1

So assuming she wins, then what?  She still has a deal with no support in Parliament.  So it gets rejected, more calls for a GE, and the only thing she can do is put remain or no deal to the vote, or call a GE.  I will be fuming if the bastards don't deliver Brexit after all this.  Wankers.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

So assuming she wins, then what?  She still has a deal with no support in Parliament.  So it gets rejected, more calls for a GE, and the only thing she can do is put remain or no deal to the vote, or call a GE.  I will be fuming if the bastards don't deliver Brexit after all this.  Wankers. 

I'd imagine she plays for a much as time as possible and tries to bring the vote back as late as possible.

I think it's her intention to get to a point where it's her deal or no deal - whether she can or not we'll see. It makes the job easier though if the party can't remove her.

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'd imagine she plays for a much as time as possible and tries to bring the vote back as late as possible.

I think it's her intention to get to a point where it's her deal or no deal - whether she can or not we'll see. It makes the job easier though if the party can't remove her.

My worry is that it is in fact her deal or revocation.  No deal is complete failure for her.

Alf, Irish natural resources include gas, petroleum, peat (of course), copper and lead.  Key industries are fishing, agriculture, and fish farming.

Major industries: Tourism, pharmaceuticals, beverages, construction, chemicals/fertilzers, machinery, data processing.

Irish GDP in 2017 was €270bn.

And we all live in harmony over here, not having fallen out over a political decision. 

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Conspiracy theory doing the rounds that May supporters actually contributed to the 48 at her request. If that's true and she wins by a landslide then fair fvcking play. lol

It would be the most Theresa May thing in the world if she orchestrated the whole thing and then suffered a heavy defeat. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Conspiracy theory doing the rounds that May supporters actually contributed to the 48 at her request. If that's true and she wins by a landslide then fair fvcking play. lol

That occurred to me, but I dismissed it as too Machiavellian. The voting system is open to manipulation in that way, though. 

If there are fewer than 48 votes against her, the game will be up! :D  

• Like 1

It does feel like odd timing a few months back it would have made sense but there really is no time for any other deal than May’s deal so whoever took over (and I can’t see any sane person wanting to pick up this dog turd of a baton) will be ridiculed if they went ahead and implemented May’s deal so that leaves No deal or revoking article 50 and/or begging the EU for more time.

I expect May to win, and if it turns out she orchestrated the vote to strengthen her position I think it makes her both a genius and a madwoman.

1 hour ago, Mayofox said:

Alf, Irish natural resources include gas, petroleum, peat (of course), copper and lead.  Key industries are fishing, agriculture, and fish farming.

Major industries: Tourism, pharmaceuticals, beverages, construction, chemicals/fertilzers, machinery, data processing.

Irish GDP in 2017 was €270bn.

And we all live in harmony over here, not having fallen out over a political decision. 

.....and comely maidens dancing at every crossroads, I shouldn't wonder. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely not denigrating Ireland. Although born and bred in England, I'm from a mainly Irish family and am over there every couple of years.

I wasn't far from you last time - Galway, Sligo, Donegal. I generally find the Irish to be an exceptionally friendly, welcoming, often (not always) highly intelligent people and it's a beautiful country.

Indeed, I now have an Irish passport (as well as a British one) in case the fall-out over Brexit gets too severe.

But I do think your assessment of the Irish economy is a bit rose-tinted (maybe understandable if viewed from Mayo, not Dublin) - not that the UK has much to boast about, either.

Here's Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland 

According to that, Ireland even had to invent a new measurement to replace GDP, as GDP figures were too distorted by dodgy tax schemes (hadn't heard the term "leprechaun economics" before :D).

Yes, farming, food processing and tourism is important, and there's some industry, but US multinationals, I.T. firms, finance and other services account for a massive chunk of the economy - and low corporate tax has played a big part in that.

I hope you don't have too much influence with the authorities over there as, if Brexit goes really badly, I might need to become a migrant worker in an Irish copper mine.... :whistle:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

It does feel like odd timing a few months back it would have made sense but there really is no time for any other deal than May’s deal so whoever took over (and I can’t see any sane person wanting to pick up this dog turd of a baton) will be ridiculed if they went ahead and implemented May’s deal so that leaves No deal or revoking article 50 and/or begging the EU for more time.

I expect May to win, and if it turns out she orchestrated the vote to strengthen her position I think it makes her both a genius and a madwoman.

I'm just looking forward to her celebrate by doing her sexy dancing

Best thing for the conservatives will be her losing or resigning a few days after.

If not, she runs the risk of shouldering the entire responsibility for Brexit fallout and in turn will May likely lose the next general election.

But she’s not a quitter and I see the above likely.

The UK prime minister made a last-minute appeal for support at an emotional meeting of backbench MPs.

She told them she will not lead the party into the next scheduled election in 2022 - but wants to stay on to deliver her Brexit deal, MPs said.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

Heh I've not heard the idea that she orchestrated it. The last time she tried to get a vote to strengthen her position it didn't turn out too well. So I'd opt for the madwoman accidentally being a genius option but I guess I'll wait until we find out how many people voted against her.