Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Who do you want January 2019

On 19/12/2018 at 10:23, Dusty said:

I think we have to go for drinkwater, he’s exactly what we need. Good and creative passing range, good tackler and knows the team well. Would cost very little as he’s only played once all season I think? Other options are mooy and Allen who would do a similar job.

This is a bit odd... maybe suggests things aren't quite right between Mooy and Huddersfield at the moment: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46632952?ns_linkname=sport&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_mchannel=social&fbclid=IwAR2DoVv-7gHBvLhGT-Jj4BuOHE0DfP_19rypRbKVyseFsl0gnSZKps57Jro 

16 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Has Ramsey (out of contract) been solidly been linked with anyone yet? Why Arsenal are letting him go is surprising. Appreciate he's had his injuries but recently he looks immense.

Arsenal withdrew their offer because he wants Ozil money

Some of the suggestions are a little crazy.

We have become a stable premier league team with a realistic expectation of finishing between 7th and 14th each season.

This means no very good player in their prime is going to be interested in joining us. At that point in their career they want CL football ( even EL is not enough - but we can't offer that for certain anyway) which means they are only interested in playing for one of the big 6 in England. That's the same for hotly touted 21+ players. The only high level players who could be interested in us are players entering the final stages of their careers who have a good year or two in them but see the opportunity to get a 4 year contract at ridiculous wages. We would be foolish to sign this type of player and I really can't see us being willing to pay the type of wages they would demand (even if they were on a free transfer). 

This means that we are really dependant on having a stab at younger players who have potential but not experience and whose potential may take time to materialise (or maybe it won't). It means that we are likely to have inconsistent performances and need patience with these players. The players like this who succeed will certainly be looking at us as a stepping stone to one of the big 6. Finally we could go for more experienced but still young foreign players currently playing in the lesser leagues who want to exhibit their wares in the PL again with the hope of moving on to a big club. They won't be near elite but then it's down to our scouting to get the right players. They'll be happy to join us for the exposure and the far higher wages paid in the PL. We just have to be careful not to go for those older players like Slim and Silva who have no room for progression and certain false expectations. Of course their is also the route of taking a chance on players from lower leagues - here and abroad who seem to be so much better than the level they are playing at.

1 minute ago, Langston said:

What's he like pal? Seems obscure enough to be a City January signing.

The most goals in 2018 (more than Messi and Ronaldo IIRC). 29 goals in 15 games in the league and 13 goals and 3 assists in 12 games in the Asian CL. The man is very, very technically sound. I would say a complete striker. Can't poke holes in his game. He does not have Vardy's pace but he is fast enough. Phisicality is not a problem. 

I had him as my profile pick for sometime now so I don't think I'm very subjective lol but he has great numbers