Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Ester Mcvay is hot, looking forward to hearing she is our leader

At last, we can compete with the Croats and the Slovenians on equal terms. 

esthermcvey.jpg

• Like 1

QT was awful last night. Like a Brexit Party political broadcast. 

It appears that Farage can lie (ie Switzerland is in the single market) and provide little basis for his brexit plans being a success yet his followers will still follow him to the cliff edge. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It appears that Farage can lie (ie Switzerland is in the single market) and provide little basis for his brexit plans being a success yet his followers will still follow him to the cliff edge. 

Makes a change I. The BBC to have actual Brexit voices on prime time!

:appl: Nice to see integrity hasn't completely gone out of fashion:

Tommy Robinson's offer of MEP salary rejected by charities

Women’s groups say pledge to donate hypothetical earnings to victims of grooming is insulting

Tommy Robinson’s pledge to donate his hypothetical European parliament salary to child victims of sexual grooming has been criticised as “an insult to survivors of abuse” by women’s groups who said he was “no ally for the children he claims to stand up for”.

More than 40 women and charities including the End Violence Against Women and Girls Coalition declared in a letter to voters and community leaders in the north-west that they would not accept money from the English Defence League founder, criticising Robinson for “factually incorrect messages about grooming”.

Robinson – whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon – frequently singles out Muslims as being behind grooming gangs and has been accused of selectively publicising certain child sex abuse cases to promote a wider anti-Islam agenda.

The coalition of women’s groups said Robinson exploited the pain suffered by victims in a self-serving attempt to fuel racial hatred.

“We, as organisations and individuals fighting tirelessly against the abuse of women and girls, as survivors of abuse and their families, and as people who care about our communities, do not want your money, Tommy,” the letter read.

“Those who have suffered sexual and physical abuse were failed by those who should have protected them. But Tommy Robinson is no ally for the children he claims to stand up for. Tommy doesn’t care about the rights of women and girls – he is exploiting the pain of survivors and their families to fuel racist hate for his own gain.”

It added: “Tommy Robinson’s factually incorrect messages about grooming, and his attempt to portray himself as a champion of the cause, are an insult to survivors of abuse.

“They are also a profound insult to the women who have spent their whole lives building support services for survivors and working to ensure some cases finally got to court. Where were you during that work Tommy Robinson?”

Signatories also included author and Women for Refugee Women founder Natasha Walter, Rape Crisis Surrey and Sussex, Rape Crisis South London, the Women’s Centre Cornwall and Gurpreet Virdee, a director at the Women and Girls Network.

Announcing the commitment two weeks ago in a YouTube video as part of his campaign to become an independent MEP in the north-west, Robinson criticised “arrogant” politicians on a “gravy train with no end in sight” as he announced he would not keep earnings from being an MEP, if he were elected.

“They need to think of the victims, not of their own politicisation of the situation, that money is to go to any victims of sexual exploitation, including Muslims,” Robinson said of the letter’s signatories.

“They are in no position to turn down money, they shouldn’t be. They should be in the position to help victims and if that money helps victims, which it does, gets them off the waiting list for counselling, then they are playing with the victims, not me.”

Matthew McGregor, from anti-racism campaigners Hope Not Hate, said: “This is one of Tommy Robinson’s most cynical stunts. Abuse survivors don’t need someone whose main interest is in funding his already lavish lifestyle and spreading hatred.”

In the weeks since launching his campaign for the 23 May election to become an MEP on a monthly salary of about £7,500 before tax, Robinson has twice been struck by milkshakes and police are investigating a number of alleged assaults that occurred during his recent visit to Warrington.

The far-right activist has been funded by a number of rightwing organisations around the world and claims to have raised several hundred thousand pounds via online donations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's been said here before, but it's fun to see the Beeb catching flak from both sides for being partisan. Shows they've got it about right.

I understand some of the flak the BBC get from time to time but for a national media company I think they are by far the best in the world. They are one of the true successes of the British Empire. I'm proud of the BBC.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

After the obvious focal point, why do i keep looking at her left eye?

Because it looks different from her right eye and, with her prominently displayed cleavage, manic stare and fixed grin, makes her look dangerously demented? :dunno:

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Who should a Leave voter back then later this month?

41 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Why do the media keep calling Mr Yaxley-Lennon by the character name he has chosen?

I suppose others have been referred to by their chosen character name:

- Tony Benn, not Anthony Wedgewood Benn (in latter decades, at least)

- Ming Campbell, not Walter Menzies Campbell

- Screaming Lord Sutch, not David Sutch

I wonder how the various names are quoted on the ballot paper?

When official results are announced, it's usually "Walter Menzies Campbell, commonly known as Ming Campbell" or whatever....

59 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Why do the media keep calling Mr Yaxley-Lennon by the character name he has chosen?

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

When official results are announced, it's usually "Walter Menzies Campbell, commonly known as Ming Campbell" or whatever....

More to the point, why do people speak of him as 'Tommy', as if they are personally acquainted with him?

Looking back through this thread, for example, there are people who despise him and his politics who still refer to him as 'Tommy'.

The first time I've seen QT in well over a year last night and indeed it was terrible. Two people just talking to their own (Farage and Soubry), Labour bloke uselessly articulating a hopeless position, Amber Rudd a personification of her party paralysed and offering nothing. Plus the audience incapable of independent thinking just there to parrot their politicians. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Gordon Brown, not James Brown.

38 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Gordon Brown, not James Brown.

I don't know..... 

"Get up offa that thang" and "Stay on the scene, like a sex machine" seem like good campaign slogans at this point in our political history....