Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

6 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

If we want to change engagement in politics in this country, young people need to be involved. The three steps suggested increases all stakeholder investment into doing this.

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

I don't think it's about being knowledgeable of Politics, it's just about being able to critically analyse what somebody says. If you critically analyse the Brexit party you could state; yes they're going to get us out of and free of the nasty EU without a deal however they also have no policies, have a leader who's in bed with with a borderline facist (Bannon) and a no deal Brexit would be catastrophic for business in this country, hence why May went back on her 'no deal/bad deal' quip. 

People seem unable to have the thinking skills to actually do this. 

It's not that they can't, it's that they simply don't want to, because human condition geared towards self-interest. It runs much deeper than changing lessons in schools and whatnot, it's down to almost the entire way humans are hardwired.

I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

7 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48242766

So Alyssa Milano proposes a sex strike due to abortion law changes in Georgia, well it won’t effect me as I have a wife not a girlfriend so way ahead of ya. 

As said on the USA thread, this needs more than Hollywood talking heads getting up in arms about it and the sooner the the Georgia legislature is picked for the misogynist unconstitutional pricks they are, the better.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's not that they can't, it's that they simply don't want to, because human condition geared towards self-interest. It runs much deeper than changing lessons in schools and whatnot, it's down to almost the entire way humans are hardwired.

I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

As said on the USA thread, this needs more than Hollywood talking heads getting up in arms about it and the sooner the the Georgia legislature is picked for the misogynist unconstitutional pricks they are, the better.

I think the problem is deeper than just misogyny - it's misogyny by the word of God; for all its criticism of Iran, the lines between American-style democracy and Theocracy are sometimes very thin.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

I think the problem is deeper than just misogyny - it's misogyny by the word of God; for all its criticism of Iran, the lines between American-style democracy and Theocracy are sometimes very thin.

There's definitely something in that.

There's a pretty accurate sortof-joke that fundie Christians and fundie Muslims don't like each other because they see so much of themselves in the other.

Definitely in the way the way they believe women should behave, among other things.

Edited by leicsmac

17 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

If we are going to change the level of engagement and understanding in British politics three things in my opinion need to happen.

1. The voting age to be lowered to 16

2. GCSE politics to be essential as Maths and English and a compulsory subject.

3. In turn, political parties being forced to engage with youth and their youth offer.

I'd wholeheartedly encourage more political discourse at school and thus a better understanding of politics - and history as well, for that matter.

But youngsters at age 16 are by no means capable of making rational decisions, let alone political ones - well, the same could be said about grown-ups... :D But that's another matter entirely.

Still, I'd say lowering the voting age is a mere proposal by people on the left in order to pander to a future voter base and to somewhat influence their train of thought accordingly.

Young people are predominantly open for leftist ideas, so I can see right through that maneuver.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I'd wholeheartedly encourage more political discourse at school and thus a better understanding of politics - and history as well, for that matter.

But youngsters at age 16 are by no means capable of making rational decisions, let alone political ones - well, the same could be said about grown-ups... :D But that's another matter entirely.

Still, I'd say lowering the voting age is a mere proposal by people on the left in order to pander to a future voter base and to somewhat influence their train of thought accordingly.

Young people are predominantly open for leftist ideas, so I can see right through that maneuver.

You can't even spell manoeuvre no mind 'see through' any presumed leftist agenda you label me as having.

Have a great day.

• Haha 4

Haven't watched Panorama for years, but this sounds like an extraordinary story - a good news story in a way: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000532y

8.30 pm tonight, BBC1 or I-Player

The Iraqi Orphan: 30 Lost Years

Amar was brought to the UK from Iraq three decades ago, an orphaned child with terrible burns from a napalm attack by Saddam Hussein’s forces. His cause was taken up by an MP and his treatment and recovery in hospital were followed closely by the world’s media. When the spotlight faded he settled into a quiet life without his family in Devon, but then years later receives a mysterious message from a stranger, saying his mother is looking for him. Jon Kay follows Amar’s journey for Panorama as he returns to Iraq for the first time in 30 years. Is it a case of mistaken identity – or can they find Amar’s family?

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

You can't even spell manoeuvre no mind 'see through' any presumed leftist agenda you label me as having.

Have a great day.

maneuver.png.2f9e161b74a0920ef6cf78f72244e761.png

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/maneuver

And again, budging out of a debate is a great way of having a point. :appl: I was actually agreeing with your view on some issues.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Honestly surprised this didn’t happen sooner. That show has spent 15 years making entertainment out of the vulnerable and impoverished. It’s also the third time in the last year that someone has committed suicide after being on an ITV show...

It’s not even remotely entertaining either.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 17:52, Swan Lesta said:

If we are going to change the level of engagement and understanding in British politics three things in my opinion need to happen.

1. The voting age to be lowered to 16

2. GCSE politics to be essential as Maths and English and a compulsory subject.

3. In turn, political parties being forced to engage with youth and their youth offer.

Interesting ideas - I think this years Reith lectures are going to on exactly this topic.

Might be worth a listen

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s not even remotely entertaining either.

...and yet it's ITVs highest viewed daytime show so I heard.

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

...and yet it's ITVs highest viewed daytime show so I heard.

It gets the biggest audience share on all channels in its time slot I believe. 22%

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

It gets the biggest audience share on all channels in its time slot I believe. 22%

Most things in this country that could be deemed unacceptable exist because of the public's involvement in them.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Most things in this country that could be deemed unacceptable exist because of the public's involvement in them.

And that's sort of the nub and crux of a lot of different problems, really. Many bad things tend to exist not because of any nefarious conspiratorial plan, but simply because they satisfy a need of the public.

Watched the programme about the Iraqi lad napalmed by Saddam in 1989, apparently orphaned and brought to England for surgery and eventual fostering by an MP, who is contacted 30 years later to say his Iraqi mother is looking for him.

Extraordinary story and very moving on a human level. Available on I-Player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000532y

Not often that I post a Daily Mail link, but they covered the story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7022603/Iraqi-orphan-left-scarred-life-napalm-attack-discovers-mother-ALIVE-three-decades-later.html

Law and law makers in the USA

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.

In particular, opponents argued the systems are error prone, particularly when dealing with women or people with darker skin.

Alabama lawmakers have passed a bill to outlaw abortion in almost all cases, the strictest such US law.

The state Senate approved the law by 25 votes to six, rejecting exemptions for cases of rape or incest.

It will now go to Republican Governor Kay Ivey. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she is seen as a strong opponent of abortion.

Restrictions on abortion rights have already been introduced this year in 16 US states.

Activists hope the new Alabama law will challenge a landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling that legalised abortion in the US.

Just now, davieG said:

Law and law makers in the USA

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.

In particular, opponents argued the systems are error prone, particularly when dealing with women or people with darker skin.

Alabama lawmakers have passed a bill to outlaw abortion in almost all cases, the strictest such US law.

The state Senate approved the law by 25 votes to six, rejecting exemptions for cases of rape or incest.

It will now go to Republican Governor Kay Ivey. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she is seen as a strong opponent of abortion.

Restrictions on abortion rights have already been introduced this year in 16 US states.

Activists hope the new Alabama law will challenge a landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling that legalised abortion in the US.

The Alabama one is astounding. Women and even girls can have their lives ruined because of that, I cannot understand how a woman in particular can allow that to pass and I hope she sees sense. I don't know a single thing about her, but I can imagine the stereotype of a Republican Governor in Alabama and it isn't great. 

I have just researched her and see that she's 74. This is going to sound somewhat ageist, for which I apologise :sweating:, but I do find it incredible how many politicians and the like, both here and in the US, are over 70.