Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

19 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Talking about Thatcher, anyone catch the rather interesting series 'Thatcher a very British revolution' on BBC 2?

I stumbled across it by accident, but began actively looking forward to the next episode.

It did soften my opinion of her towards the end, I'm ashamed to say.  I now think she was only 99% rotten.

It's like the fall of the Roman Empire.  Excellent viewing

Guest MattP
47 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I’m sure you know Margaret Thatcher never wanted to leave the EU. 

None of us know how she would have campaigned in the referendum as she wasn't here.

She wrote a letter to Bill Cash though saying she wouldn't sign off on the Lisbon treaty - so she was certainly sceptical of the way the project was ahead.

How are you sure of her opinion? 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

None of us know how she would have campaigned in the referendum as she wasn't here.

She wrote a letter to Bill Cash though saying she wouldn't sign off on the Lisbon treaty - so she was certainly sceptical of the way the project was ahead.

How are you sure of her opinion? 

Charles Powell, her foreign policy advisor who accompanied her to every European meeting said so on Newsnight recently. 

Not once did he ever hear her say that we would be better off outside the EU. 

She wanted to challenge and reform, but never wanted to leave. She was hard pressed by her anti-European to have a referendum over Maastricht but didn’t be,Keven in referenda. 

It’s one of the great fallacies of modern Conservatism, Thatcherite are anti-EU but there is no eveisence that Thatcher herself was. 

Guest MattP
Just now, Nickfosse said:

Correct, but she made herself unpopular with the bastards (to quote Major) not having a referendum. 

If she wouldn't have signed off on Maastricht, can you imagine what she would have thought of the LT? 

5 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Charles Powell, her foreign policy advisor who accompanied her to every European meeting said so on Newsnight recently. 

Not once did he ever hear her say that we would be better off outside the EU. 

She wanted to challenge and reform, but never wanted to leave. She was hard pressed by her anti-European MPs to have a referendum over Maastricht but didn’t believe in referenda. 

It’s one of the great fallacies of modern Conservatism, Thatcherites are anti-EU but there is no evidence that Thatcher herself was. 

Edited by Nickfosse

Just now, MattP said:

If she wouldn't have signed off on Maastricht, can you imagine what she would have thought of the LT? 

I know you'd love to believe she’d campaign for Brexit, but people who knew her views well on Europe do not corroborate this I’m afraid. 

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I know you'd love to believe she’d campaign for Brexit, but people who knew her views well on Europe do not corroborate this I’m afraid. 

None of us will ever know how she would have campaigned in the referendum. The organisation was at a far different stage to when she was politically active. 

To be quite frank I couldn't care less either - it's irrelevant to the argument. 

None of us will ever know how she would have campaigned in the referendum. The organisation was at a far different stage to when she was politically active. 

To be quite frank I couldn't care less either - it's irrelevant to the argument. 

I was responding to you putting a quote out to the effect that Farage is anti EU and loved Thatcher as if they belonged as one together. Apologies for challenging that narrative. 

Hunt "I think some of those cuts in social care went too far."

Happened on his watch. Guarantee you he doesn't give a **** about Tina and her 100 kids. He will say anything to progress his career.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I was responding to you putting a quote out to the effect that Farage is anti EU and loved Thatcher as if they belonged as one together. Apologies for challenging that narrative. 

It was a response to the polling.

That was actually referencing that the Tory membership is overtly pro-Leave and they also love Thatcher.

I wasn't putting the two together. 

It was a response to the polling.

That was actually referencing that the Tory membership is overtly pro-Leave and they also love Thatcher.

I wasn't putting the two together. 

That’s fair enough Matt. I appreciate you saying you weren’t putting the two together.  It has always fascinated me how Thatcherites have built a narrative around her thoughts on leaving the EU that aren’t borne out by those who were close to her and heard her express her opinions privately and publicly. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

That’s fair enough Matt. I appreciate you saying you weren’t putting the two together.  It has always fascinated me how Thatcherites have built a narrative around her thoughts on leaving the EU that aren’t borne out by those who were close to her and heard her express her opinions privately and publicly. 

As I say we'll never know. There are arguments for her both backing Remain and Leave.

Only thing for certain is she would never have called a referendum - she didn't do government policy in that way and never would.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

As I say we'll never know. There are arguments for her both backing Remain and Leave.

Only thing for certain is she would never have called a referendum - she didn't do government policy in that way and never would.

Spot on Matt. 

Regarding "Saving the Planet" and the excess of plastic bags, turns out the vast majority of plastic waste in rivers and on riverbeds can be found in Africa (2 out of 10) and Asia (8 out of 10):

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/

I salute people in Europe and North America being conscious about waste, but how about the preachy people over here having a go at China, India, Egypt or Nigeria, for once?