Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

38 minutes ago, Buce said:

I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but here is something altogether unwholesome about Gove's appearance.

I wouldn't feel comfortable letting him babysit my kids, for sure.

220px-Official_portrait_of_Michael_Gove_goveface_rljrhg.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAa9XN8IsyIaymQW3IxrL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY_6MuGL6wpyKT_pKSuFl

image.jpg

Definitely looks like he should be a comedian, not politican

1 hour ago, The Guvnor said:

Isn't that one and the same thing.?

Not at all - comedians are supposed to be amusing, but there's nothing funny about this bunch of clowns running the country.

• Like 1

UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia unlawful, court of appeal declares

Exports contributed to civilian deaths in Saudi-led bombing campaign in Yemen, court rules

The court of appeal has declared British arms sales to Saudi Arabia unlawful because ministers failed to properly assess their contribution to civilian casualties in indiscriminate bombing in Yemen.

The ruling from three senior judges follows a challenge brought by Campaign Against Arms Trade, which had accused the UK government of licensing the sale of arms when there was a clear risk that their use could breach international humanitarian law.

In its judgment in London on Thursday, the court of appeal ruled that “the process of decision-making by the government was wrong in law in one significant respect”.

Announcing the court’s decision the master of the rolls, Sir Terence Etherton, sitting with Lord Justice Irwin and Lord Justice Singh, said the government “made no concluded assessments of whether the Saudi-led coalition had committed violations of international humanitarian law in the past, during the Yemen conflict, and made no attempt to do so”.

However, he added: “The decision of the court today does not mean that licences to export arms to Saudi Arabia must immediately be suspended.”

Future risks of breaches of humanitarian law by the Saudi-led coalition must be assessed by ministers when deciding whether to allow arms sales, in the context of past behaviour, the court said.

A spokesperson for the Department for International Trade said that ministers would seek leave to appeal. “This judgment is not about whether the decisions themselves were right or wrong, but whether the process in reaching those decisions was correct,” the spokesperson added.

The trade secretary, Liam Fox, is due to make an emergency statement in parliament this lunchtime, in which he will further spell out the response to the ruling.

Lloyd Russell-Moyle, a Labour backbench MP who was in court for the ruling, said that it was a “damning judgment” and that he would now press for a full public inquiry into the legality of UK arms sales to Yemen. He hoped that his party’s frontbench would follow suit.

He blamed past and present British foreign secretaries and other ministers for ignoring the evidence of civilian casualties and focused on the Tory leadership frontrunner, Boris Johnson, in particular. “This goes right to the top of the Tory party,” Russell-Moyle said.

Shortly after, Labour called for “a full parliamentary or public inquiry”. Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, said that the judgment proved “ministers have wilfully disregarded the evidence that Saudi Arabia was violating international humanitarian law in Yemen, while nevertheless continuing to supply them with weapons”. It was necessary to find out which ministers were responsible for breaches in arms controls law, she added.

The UK has licensed the sale of at least £4.7bn worth of arms to Saudi Arabia since the start of the civil war in Yemen in March 2015, with most of the recorded sales taking place before 2018.

Sales are signed off by the foreign, defence and international trade secretaries, and ministers and former ministers including the Tory leadership candidates Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt have defended the UK’s arms relationship with Riyadh.

Latest figures estimate that the death toll in the complex civil war in Yemen since 2016 is fast approaching 100,000 – although there is currently a ceasefire – with nearly 11,700 civilians killed in attacks that have directly targeted them.

Estimates say that two-thirds of the civilian deaths were caused by the Saudi-led coalition; the rest were victims of actions by the Houthi rebels they are fighting.

Andrew Smith of Campaign Against Arms Trade said: “We welcome this verdict but it should never have taken a court case brought by campaigners to force the government to follow its own rules.

“The Saudi Arabian regime is one of the most brutal and repressive in the world, yet, for decades, it has been the largest buyer of UK-made arms. No matter what atrocities it has inflicted, the Saudi regime has been able to count on the uncritical political and military support of the UK.

“The bombing has created the worst humanitarian crisis in the world. UK arms companies have profited every step of the way. The arms sales must stop immediately.”

Just now, LiberalFox said:

Strikes me as a daft system where the leading candidate can get his supporters to back whichever rival he's most confident of defeating in a head to head.

Not very democratic really. But then as proven, people don't give a **** how you get the votes, or the damage getting those votes does in the future, just as long as you get them.

• Like 2

Guest MattP

Surprised so many switched to Hunt. 

Anyway arise PM Boris - I think you'll be a disaster but unfortunately the best option now.

So.....

- In the previous rounds, when fewer extra votes  were available, Boris picked up 12, 17 & 14 extra votes......this time just 3 out of 37 from Javid? :blink:

- This despite the fact that at least 4 Javid supporters publicly announced they were voting for Boris

- ....and despite Javid supporting a 31st October Brexit, just like Boris.

As expected, an absolutely blatant - and perfectly legal - tactical voting stitch-up. Is our democracy's status as a basket case official yet?

Perhaps LCFC could ask to select our FA Cup opponents like this?

I fancy Sheepy Magna Brownies 5th team in the semi-final. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Self serving racist liar vs NHS killing **** to be the next PM then.

Aren't we lucky.

At least it's no longer TM eh mate :thumbup: :whistle:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

At least it's no longer TM eh mate :thumbup: :whistle:

She's no better, equally as shit and nasty, and self interested. She had to go because she was so shit, but nothing will change. Brexit is unworkable in any form, no version will get through the house. Whichever one of these horrible men gets the job, they won't do any better. In fact its probably good its nobody half decent, because they won't come out of this well.

My problem with Boris is that whilst he's a clever, calculating man, he's a idiot politically and generally shit at his job. The only reason he is where he is is because he's managed to scheme his way there, sold his soul, promised the earth to people, told them what they wanted to hear. If he was actually being judged on his ability, and his actions and achievements, he'd be nowhere.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

She's no better, equally as shit and nasty, and self interested. She had to go because she was so shit, but nothing will change. Brexit is unworkable in any form, no version will get through the house. Whichever one of these horrible men gets the job, they won't do any better. In fact its probably good its nobody half decent, because they won't come out of this well.

My problem with Boris is that whilst he's a clever, calculating man, he's a idiot politically and generally shit at his job. The only reason he is where he is is because he's managed to scheme his way there, sold his soul, promised the earth to people, told them what they wanted to hear. If he was actually being judged on his ability, and his actions and achievements, he'd be nowhere.

Corbyn to the rescue then :worship:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Corbyn to the rescue then :worship:

Hope not. 

Sack em all and start again. I'll give it ago. You, Alf, Matt P, Buce, Liberal Fox and few others could have a stab. A nice range of views from not complete idiot.

Edited by Facecloth

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Amen.

:appl:

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Are you trying to have an intel!ectual debate...with B.Johnson as a subject....oh my on very my....My sorry land of Birth UK......!!

oh god do nt forsake us....buffoon as politicians....just lost souls in the electorate....!!!

Cowards not to go out on the streets and shout..non of the above....!!!