Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Also....on the Farage question. 

"Nigel Farage is a Tory who is anti-EU and absolutely loves Margaret Thatcher"

"I can't believe it, Tories actually want Farage to lead their party"

Err...the clue is probably there.

Better not mention that to all the Labour Brexit voters in places like Barnsley and Bolsover.... :D

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Anybody speculating on the outcome of the Tory leadership vote later?

In past such competitions, I remember votes sometimes moving around wildly between rounds, sneaky tactical voting etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if a few Boris voters make a tactical switch to Raab, to keep him in the contest at the expense of Stewart and/or Javid. They have plenty to spare.

I'm sure they'd prefer their man to potentially face a fellow Brexiteer & arguably a less tricky opponent.

I'm guessing:

- Boris wins big again, but not quite as big as expected due to a few transfers to Raab

- Gove might just sneak past Hunt into 2nd

- Raab finishes 4th to make the cut, Stewart 50-50 to make the 33-vote cut, Javid finishes last & is out...

I'm NOT ITK :thumbup:

Boris wins with 130 odd.

Javid and Raab out.

Stewart through with Gove and Hunt.

Guest MattP
Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Better not mention that to all the Labour Brexit voters in places like Barnsley and Bolsover.... :D

If Labour becomes a second referendum party Denis Skinner might be the BP candidate in Bolsover!

51 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well yes alright.  How exactly did YouGov sample Party members when that list is confidential?  The questions are also a bit leading imo, although if we left and Scotland decided to go independent then that wouldn't be a disaster for the rest of the UK.  It would be for Scotland though.

But they'll be able to make their own trade deals.

• Haha 3

Admittely didnt know much about Rory Stewart before the campaign but he seems to come across very well, adds a degree of balance to the debate and is the Tory I agree with the most, that doesnt say much but still...

• Like 2

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

But they'll be able to make their own trade deals.

They won't as they want to rejoin the European Union.

Scottish independence is the biggest con going - trading devolution from Westminster to devolution from Brussels isn't independence and that's probably why about a third of the SNP vote also are pro-Brexit.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at...the last time I checked, presenting Iran as a warmongering dictatorship that should be happy to be the latest to feel good honest American cold steel is hardly nuanced (yes, I know no one here has said those exact words, but presuming guilt and sentence in this matter before all the facts are in is tantamount to similar). Apart from the dictatorship part - that's broadly true. Oh, and in the interests of fairness, that goes both ways too.

Look, allow me to be clearer - all I want to see here is less bad guy/good guy dichotomy being applied to USA/Iran (whatever way it's being applied) and the same dichotomy applied to "people who want and would gain from war/people who don't want war"; which, the last time I checked wasn't the sole preserve of one particular flag.

WRT your question in the second sentence, not quite sure what you're getting at but IMO there should be nothing involving human interaction that is exempt from being analysed with nuance, given the way that humans are. Of course, certain matters often don't take much analysis (chattel slavery, human responsibility for climate change, Peter Taylor's managerial reign at Leicester City) but it should still be made.

So we need nuance but you've immediately decided to bin the nuance because somehow analysing the events in context and with a nod to actual dynamics of the ME rather than a caricature is the same as declaring Iran a warmongering dictatorship that should be happy to feel the might of America. Of course follows your entirely nuanced view on why it could/might have been. 

I'm certainly not applying any good guy/bad guy dichotomy, in fact my starting position was that Iran done it but the US has obviously been provocative. In fact, in the face of a non-existent strategy towards Iran/the ME from the US, Iran is playing its hand as best it can. If you think I'm guilty of good guy/bad guy then that's you reading it wrong. 

I'd also contend that Iran is quite dictatorial.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48677393

German government to implement rent cap as rent prices in Berlin rise 7% in this years first quarter. 

What we thinking, good idea or bad? Personally think it seems a bad idea at first glance, but guess the devil will be in the details. 

Well given that rent caps have never worked anywhere, and that you'll struggle to find an economist that thinks they're a good idea then you'd have to say its unlikely to be a success.

16 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

#BelieveInTheBin

As a young voter, it's been refreshing to see someone of Rory's ilk in the conservative party. If he won the leadership contest I do think he could be the one to revolutionize the party before it's too late.

Revolutionise by being an Etonian Theresa May with a bit of personality? I like the bloke, in fact I said give him the job on here and had a couple of quid on him at 100/1 in March but this campaign has shown him to be an able cabinet minister but not a Prime Minister. Should be Foreign or Home Secretary if Gove or Hunt manage to win.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Also....on the Farage question. 

"Nigel Farage is a Tory who is anti-EU and absolutely loves Margaret Thatcher"

"I can't believe it, Tories actually want Farage to lead their party"

Err...the clue is probably there.

I’m sure you know Margaret Thatcher never wanted to leave the EU. 

Stewart is a sensible choice when we're not in the mess we're currently in.

Whoever wins the contest is destined to lose and won't stay in for very long which is why Boris should get it.  

We're not leaving on Oct 31st and a vote of no confidence will ensue.  Guarantee it.

8 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Stewart is a sensible choice when we're not in the mess we're currently in.

Whoever wins the contest is destined to lose and won't stay in for very long which is why Boris should get it.  

We're not leaving on Oct 31st and a vote of no confidence will ensue.  Guarantee it.

:fc: