Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

If only...

14 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm assuming these memories of Filbert Street are based on some of the amazing matches we've had over the years; from Cambridge and the other playoff semis, the cup semis and other incredible occasions I wish I'd been able to experience.

But video evidence highlights that Filbert Street was not the fervent cacophony of noise it was. Look at the tapes and you'll come across stoney silence in many games. I'm not defending the atmosphere at the KP, though I am wedded to the "performances breed atmosphere" element (look at Man City on Boxing Day).

My main gripe is that people fetishise and remember Filbert Street as something that was amazing, fantastic, 120 decibels every week and it just... wasn't?

I agree to a certain extent that city fans go on about filbo being a cauldron of noise - on many occasions, it's wasn't. 

But the kop under the double decker was decent most games even if the main/carling stand wasn't. 

Imo this was because the kop was full of younger fans. 

I moved to the kop from the family stand a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how many elderly people were in the part of the ground that should generate noise. 

Love them all to bits, they've probably backed the club over many years, but the club should shift them away from the kop, offer them a 50% discount to move next season and free up sk1-3 for fans that want to create a noise and get some flags in. 

Palace have created an area where fans can do this, fans that don't want it can go elsewhere in the ground and the ground has benefitted as a result overall. 

Watching the European games over the last couple of nights makes you wish we could generate something a fraction as good as that. 

I have been to club matches in Europe and they are pretty good as well. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm assuming these memories of Filbert Street are based on some of the amazing matches we've had over the years; from Cambridge and the other playoff semis, the cup semis and other incredible occasions I wish I'd been able to experience.

But video evidence highlights that Filbert Street was not the fervent cacophony of noise it was. Look at the tapes and you'll come across stoney silence in many games. I'm not defending the atmosphere at the KP, though I am wedded to the "performances breed atmosphere" element (look at Man City on Boxing Day).

My main gripe is that people fetishise and remember Filbert Street as something that was amazing, fantastic, 120 decibels every week and it just... wasn't?

I agree to a certain extent that city fans go on about filbo being a cauldron of noise - on many occasions, it's wasn't. 

But the kop under the double decker was decent most games even if the main/carling stand wasn't. 

I moved to the kop from the family stand a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how many elderly people were in the part of the ground that should generate noise. 

Love them all to bits, they've probably backed the club over many years, but the club should shift them away from the kop, offer them a 50% discount to move next season and free up sk1-3 for fans that want to create a noise and get some flags in. 

Palace have created an area where fans can do this, fans that don't want it can go elsewhere in the ground and the ground has benefitted as a result overall. 

Watching the European games over the last couple of nights makes you wish we could generate something a fraction as good as that. 

1 minute ago, Hollyfox said:

Quite.

5 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I'm not moving from my seat, never. I've been there since I was born and plan of staying in it long after I'm dead. 

30 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Can't you just shuffle along towards the other corner?

Just a suggestion ?

Tell you what, chuck in a free scarf and a doughnut and I'll run to the other corner. 

Joking aside though I think you're right. But I'd like to point out that it's not just the oldies that effect the atmosphere. Plenty of 'lads' in our fanbase are complete mutes at games. Give them a can of Carling on the train and it's like they're in the bady squad but in the stands they're all bus 1.

Edited by Soup

Just now, Soup said:

Tell you what, chuck in a free scarf and a doughnut and I'll run to the other corner. 

Joking aside though I think you're right. But I'd like to point out that it's not just the oldies that effect the atmosphere. Plenty of 'lads' in our fanbase are complete mutes at games. Give them a can of Carling on the train and it's like they're in the bady squad but in the stand they're all bus 1.

????

And confiscate their phones?

• Like 1

On a serious note, they do need to swap the Kop and family stand. 

I've heard rumours were planning on having a netting/screen between P block and L block to stop the throwing of coins etc.. that would improve the atmosphere but itll never happen. 

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Some really thought provoking posts. One other factor that individuals do deny is that perceptions must have changed post-title win. It isn't necessarily conscious, but honestly, how can they not have done? And nobody is to blame in that. 

Agreed. when you have feasted at the table of kings, McDonalds just doesn't have the same appeal and it is difficult to be motivated or get excited by the thought of chicken nuggets again.

I think we all recognise that it is a cyclical process....... when the team is playing well and really giving it a go, then you start to get a buzz around the stadium as expectations rise. Players obviously pick up on this and so are encouraged to keep at it.  This in turn will notch up the atmosphere and so on.  It is a symbiotic relationship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

A bit ageist maybe? Not every 18-25 is going to sing and chant and not every 50+ year old will want to sit down and eat their prawn sandwich. 

So how do you distinguish who should move and who can stay?  It can’t be on age, so how?

This is probably why LCFC and many other clubs have not opted to move ST holders who have been in a certain seat for many many years and perhaps many more years to come. 

With rhe ground expansion perhaps something is being looked at but for now i don’t think it’s fair. 

21 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

A bit ageist maybe? Not every 18-25 is going to sing and chant and not every 50+ year old will want to sit down and eat their prawn sandwich. 

So how do you distinguish who should move and who can stay?  It can’t be on age, so how?

This is probably why LCFC and many other clubs have not opted to move ST holders who have been in a certain seat for many many years and perhaps many more years to come. 

With rhe ground expansion perhaps something is being looked at but for now i don’t think it’s fair. 

You can't force them to move but when season tickets are renewed, make it clear that if you sit in a certain area of the ground, it will have more singing, flags etc which might/will obscure your view of the game and you might wish to move to another area - offer better seats if need be.

My dad, who's now 89 and doesn't go anymore due to the walking to the ground and the cold, had a season ticket along the side of the ground where he had a great view but enjoyed the noise of L1 and the kop. 

Wether I'm PC or not, the KP needs to do something for the benefit of the team and future generations of city fans. 

22 hours ago, MPH said:

nothing wrong with trying to motivate others.

Motivating others fine, but there’s one major thing that annoys me at any football stadia (and I’m sure it happens at all)...... you get that one guy who walks into a concourse, bar, stand who just gets his arms out wide \o/ and shouts OH WHEN THE BLUES whilst staring into your soul and looks utterly offended that you don’t instantly scream back GO MARCHING IN and then he proceeds to hammer the wall, table or stadium rear wall and continue, on his own, OH WHEN THE BLUES GO MARCHING IIIINNNN.

i get that some want to start songs but don’t look offended when not everybody joins in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Motivating others fine, but there’s one major thing that annoys me at any football stadia (and I’m sure it happens at all)...... you get that one guy who walks into a concourse, bar, stand who just gets his arms out wide \o/ and shouts OH WHEN THE BLUES whilst staring into your soul and looks utterly offended that you don’t instantly scream back GO MARCHING IN and then he proceeds to hammer the wall, table or stadium rear wall and continue, on his own, OH WHEN THE BLUES GO MARCHING IIIINNNN.

i get that some want to start songs but don’t look offended when not everybody joins in.

just ignore him. why let someone bother you so much? lol