Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Cujek

History of clubs

Guest Cujek

So, I was having a debate (argument) with a friend of mine, he is a Villa supporter, apart from the fact he isn't from Birmingham I haven't really got a problem with him being a Villa fan.

But he Really seems to have beef with Leicester, he was trying to argue with me that we have no history and that we will be going back to mediocrity, because We "have had to many managers" I tried to explain that unless he had watched every single second of Puels reign that he really had no opinion that matters.

Anyway on to the point of the post. He kept going about how many European cups had we won, how many league titles, how many FA cups soon and so On, my point was who cares about History?

Ask Man City if history matters, go ask Leeds or Forest if their history matters at the moment.

I don't see what relevance winning a European cup in 1982 has today.

Does a 20 year old looking at choosing a club cares if a club won 7 league titles before they was even born.

Surely all that matters is now and the fact is we are premier league club, Villa and several other clubs with "history" are mid table championship teams and have been for a while.

TLDR; my mate is a salty jealous Villa fan who thinks achievements feom 40 years ago matter today.

Guest Cujek
1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

“History” is a tiresome clichèd trope that supporters turn to when their teams are absolutely f**king doggo.

More or less what I said to him.

One of the counters was that loads of kids wearing Leicester shirts now just cos we won the league, so I was like good, kids should support their local clubs

I don't like all this 'big club' shite because it's about now but Villa are the biggest club in the Championship by a distance and Villa Park is a cracking old 'proper' ground. I wish they were in the PL.

But if somebody is choosing a club based on their history then they're choosing wrong.

Yeah, it would be nice to have won more trophies but it didn't happen. I'm of the view that if it happened before my time, it doesn't really affect me. For example, it's frustrating that we didn't win the FA Cup in 1961 or 1969 because it would be on the honours list and the videos would be enjoyable but to me, 2001 feels like a wasted opportunity to win it and that is what I could talk about.

A successful history is great but I think too much emphasis is placed on what you've done before. I'm comfortable with what we've done in my supporting years and generally where we are as a club now. If others think we're a nothing club, so be it. As long as we're a nothing club showing ambition and aiming to be the best we can be.

Guest Cujek
13 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

There is a choice involved? Never for me! :scarf:

I meant players choosing leicester over villa for example or leaving villa for leicester

Guest Cujek
12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Do you mean a 20 year old player or supporter?

If your a 20 year old supporter and haven't yet chosen a club then there's something wrong.

And you don't chose your club, your club chooses you :thumbup:

Player

1 minute ago, Cujek said:

Player

Ah right. In that case no, a 20 year old looking at choosing a club doesn't care if a club won 7 league titles before they was even born. All the care about is who's going to pay them the most money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cujek said:

I meant players choosing leicester over villa for example or leaving villa for leicester

No brainer! Tell your mate John McGinn is on his way to us in the summer, that should settle the argument!

Edited by Silva Fox
  • Haha 1

Guest Cujek
1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

No brainer!

My mate reckoned we couldn't sign Grealish, I don't actually think he is any better than ehat we have so it would be a pointless signing anyway but of if we wanted him we would get him

Living in Nottingham has taught me one thing - dont brag about your past when you have nothing to back it up with now. You look like a ****ing idiot.

I can only compare it to what our English fans must look like to Germans when we boast about winning a world cup and 2 world wars, when they've made a ****ing mockery out of us at every Tournament for god knows how long.

I'll say the same about our fans if all we do is bang on about the title win for the next 50 years. I want to create alot more memories than that and we have the platform to do so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Living in Nottingham has taught me one thing - dont brag about your past when you have nothing to back it up with now. You look like a ****ing idiot.

I can only compare it to what our English fans must look like to Germans when we boast about winning a world cup and 2 world wars, when they've made a ****ing mockery out of us at every Tournament for god knows how long.

I'll say the same about our fans if all we do is bang on about the title win for the next 50 years. I want to create alot more memories than that and we have the platform to do so.

Always felt the same about that red lot up the road especially when most of them my age were born the year they won in Europe. But **** having lived the dream if I ain't telling my grandkids about our title win. Then life just ain't worth living.

• Haha 1

I used to have a system / theory of "First sticker book", which is essentially that the divisions that the clubs are in in your first sticker book are where they belong and that everything else is a temporary diversion until the natural order is resumed!

In reality you combine that starting point with a small dose of the clubs previous history and an ongoing accumulation of everything since and finally the present which has a huge bearing.

At our lowest point in the third tier for the first time, we galvanised, proved there was a strong heartbeat and after going straight back up even in failed promotion attempts from the Championship won more often than not. We've now had several good and excellent seasons since, two trophies won in outstanding manner and all you can do is improve the here and now and add to it year on year, next year will be our sixth consecutive in the PL I believe beating the previous five under O'Niell / Taylor and the Milne/Hamilton years. That's our recent history as far as I'm concerned, not a yo-yo in sight. Lots of managers? Yes, we've given ourselves high standards, if we get a sniff of a relegation fight we take decisive action. Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wednesday etc would love to be in this position. We could do with a cup or two in the next ten years as recognition of this ongoing era of "success".

Villa's league and European win in the 80's (and other earlier stuff in black & white) trumps our league win? Look at it another way, "years since success" ie the modern history is more memorable and perhaps a rolling ten year time frame representing more relevance in neutrals minds than other clubs ye olde tales of kicking more pigs bladders into cross bar-less goal than their opposition .

This thread has struck a chord with me - I follow a lot of NHL hockey & after a lot of turnover of teams in the early days of the league, from 1942 to 1967, the league ended up at only 6 teams before expansion again & it has now gone up to 31.

And yet, the phrase "Original Six" has been coined for those teams - and there remains to this day a real arrogance that those clubs are above the rest & the other clubs are lesser because they weren't around for that 25 year period - even though we are now 52 years on from expansion.

It is completely irrelevant today, but continues to get rammed down throats 52 years later!

That has helped me accept this not going to change. Villa/Forest/Leeds/Bradford Park Avenue fans are as out of date as there Original Six arguments and they will continue to hark on about it in an attempt to make that the narrative.

If you are a fan of Leicester/San Jose or someone that is relevant today you can't change that: you just have to understand that fans of these teams are basically insecure and let them have their little victories and they can live in the past if they wish. You will never win the argument against them, as they will have been bought up on the view that history is more important than it really is.

We are just lucky following Leicester that don't have to deal with this Original Six c**p & be thankful that the Premier League came along and made English football before that irrelevant & we can enjoy having won the Premier League more times than Liverpool, Forest, Leeds, Villa, Everton & Spurs combined :scarf:

that seems to be everyone's comeback to a Leicester fan, "you've got no history". What do they count as "history"? if that means winning things in the past then surely when they won those trophies they had no history, i find it very ironic

4 hours ago, Cujek said:

So, I was having a debate (argument) with a friend of mine, he is a Villa supporter, apart from the fact he isn't from Birmingham I haven't really got a problem with him being a Villa fan.

But he Really seems to have beef with Leicester, he was trying to argue with me that we have no history and that we will be going back to mediocrity, because We "have had to many managers" I tried to explain that unless he had watched every single second of Puels reign that he really had no opinion that matters.

Anyway on to the point of the post. He kept going about how many European cups had we won, how many league titles, how many FA cups soon and so On, my point was who cares about History?

Ask Man City if history matters, go ask Leeds or Forest if their history matters at the moment.

I don't see what relevance winning a European cup in 1982 has today.

Does a 20 year old looking at choosing a club cares if a club won 7 league titles before they was even born.

Surely all that matters is now and the fact is we are premier league club, Villa and several other clubs with "history" are mid table championship teams and have been for a while.

TLDR; my mate is a salty jealous Villa fan who thinks achievements feom 40 years ago matter today.

Debate? Should have smacked his thick villan face up haha. Trophies doesnt necessarily equate to great history (just ask spurs fans in 30 years when they go on about finishing second and 3rd 5 years in a row AMAZEBALLS).

If we are talking about trophies where do you draw the line? Well sure you won x titles/cups but united has 40 (or whatever they have) so compared to united you have no history.  What silly logic.

Im sure in 40  years if im still around (i hope so) i will be going on and on about city being champions of england like forest fans do today but thats just part of it all.

History is being apart of the ups and down in football. The local derbies, banter, titles, relegations all of it. Its about the good and bad of it all. We know all about that at our club as do most others.

All well and good siting Wikipedia for what your club has done in that past, but I wouldn't swap 2016 for 20 trophies that were won before I was born.

Football is about the emotions and experiences. We've been an utterly mental club to support since my living memory began in the early 90s, I can't think of anyone I would have rather followed in that time despite some absolute dross along the way. Tell him he's welcome to his grainy photographs of the great Villa side of the nineteenth century and his dad's stories about how good the early 80s were, it means naff all if he wasn't there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1