Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Where did you have your first pint?

Had mine here when as an Apprentice Engineer I was attending evening classes at the nearby Charles Keene College 

Now gone of course.

0_LM-PACKE-MAR21.jpg

We feel sure this great photo from our archive will bring back memories for those readers who recall Leicester’s Belgrave Gate before all the alterations and demolition which has taken place since the 1970s.

It shows Ye Old Pack Horse pub on the corner of Belgrave Gate and Painter Street, close to where the northbound carriageway of the Belgrave Flyover was built.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Swan and Rushes aged 14 before a City match, ordered two pints of lager and still don't know how I got served but did. I still remember how scared and small as was and shaking handing the money over.

Feel sorry for the kids these days not being able to try stuff like this, great for character.

Legally, The Woodies. 

I'm pretty sure it was Fosters. Ugh. 

(Illegally, almost certainly The Shed. Edit: Although I'm now doubting myself, I'm sure there was a pub on Stonehill Ave I can't remember the name of that was ludicrously reckless / liberal with who they served given we were meant to be in school literally next door.) 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 1

I think the Conservative Club, Market Harborough. 3 generations of my family would pile in there on a Saturday night just because the booze was absolutely dirt cheap.

The pipe smoke disguised the stale-smell emanating from the geriatrics sitting around in ill-fitting tweed suits, nursing their pints of John Smith's under the depictions of Thatcher hanging from the walls.

Good skittles table, though.

• Like 1

Probably around 14 at Harborough Cricket Club. Remember also getting served at a gig in the Assembly Rooms at Welland Park College - the school I'd left about six months previously. lol

We had a mate with a fake ID who looked a fair bit older than the rest of us, so usually he just got the pints/tins in.

The Generous Briton in Melton Mowbray. Landlord had a fairly relaxed policy on serving underage persons, albeit with a dash of responsibility in that he would only serve beer and not spirits to us and we had to sit in the back and not act like a bunch of nobheads. 

This would have been around 1989. Less than a £1 for a pint in those days!

Edited by stripeyfox

Guest MattP

I remember the first time I got pissed on my own - was in Majorca and Rangers playing an away game in the Champions League againat an Irish side and I sat with a load of their fans (after Mum and Dad left me there to go for dinner on their own lol ), they were buying me pints and shots and I responded to the generosity by ripping the piss out of them when they went a goal down. 

Would love to know how old I was can anyone find it?

Edit: I was 15 and Shelbourne were 3-0 up at one point wtf

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/4749/shelbourne_vs_rangers

Edited by MattP

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

I remember the first time I got pissed on my own - was in Majorca and Rangers playing an away game in the Champions League againat an Irish side and I sat with a load of their fans (after Mum and Dad left me there to go for dinner on their own lol ), they were buying me pints and shots and I responded to the generosity by ripping the piss out of them when they went a goal down. 

https://www.balls.ie/football/league-of-ireland-v-scottish-clubs-349374-349374

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Don't know how old you are? Shelbourne in 98/99?

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

July 98?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998–99_Rangers_F.C._season

First time I got drunk was at home during Euro 2000 watching England v Portugal aged 14. Nearly cried when we threw away the lead.

First time in pub was The Queen Vic on Southampton Street aged about 15/16. My mate a couple of years old recommended it as it was apparently a rough old pub who had no problem serving under age, don't think it's there any more? Got absolutely smashed and caught the last bus home being sick all over the top deck. Woke up in my front garden at 5am.

Edited by pds

2 minutes ago, pds said:

First time I got drunk was at home during Euro 2000 watching England v Portugal aged 14. Nearly cried when we threw away the lead.

First time in pub was The Queen Vic on Southampton Street aged about 15/16. My mate a couple of years old recommended it as it was apparently a rough old pub who had no problem serving under age, don't think it's there any more? Got absolutely smashed and caught the last bus home being sick all over the top deck. Woke up in my front garden at 5am.

I was absolutely desolate sitting in the Woodies  the 4 years previous watching the current England manager miss a penalty, suited in our toothless grey kit! And I was just about legal drinking age!

1 minute ago, MattP said:

That's the game. Mental Shelbourne were 3-0 up.

I was 15 so not as bad as I thought.

Even though I think you've said so before and I'm pretty sure I've always known, it still wrinkles my brain you're only three years older than me. 

We used to have no problems getting served in the Stamford Arms or The Brant in Groby at 16 (1990ish) - they just used to ask if we were 18!

My oldest lad is now nearly 18 (in July) but cannot get served anywhere these days without a fake ID, (which most kids seem to have).

Fleckney WMC aged 14

Watneys starlight bitter 16p a pint tasted feckin awful but pretended to like it so as to show I was an 'adult'

Fleckney club was where I learned to drink, mix with 'grown ups' play darts & pool & on the odd occasion, disco nights, cop off.

The place has like many clubs been demolished & turned into to flats. Sad loss.