Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Where did you have your first pint?

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sure there was a pub on Stonehill Ave I can't remember the name of that was ludicrously reckless / liberal with who they served given we were meant to be in school literally next door.) 

Was that The Trees? off holly tree avenue near to Spar?  Spent many a lunchtime in there when I was doing my A-levels playing pool instead of revising!

First pint though would have been at the Workhouse on Vaughan way.  You had to be pretty "special" not to get served in there.  I think i was about 14 at the time

Apparently my first taste of beer was my brother putting it on my dummy when I was about 2.

First time I properly drank was age 14 in Kos, Greece. Made a few mates, bar serving us all, smashing back pints of Heineken. Don't remember getting back to the hotel, woke the next morning to find a river of vomit next to my bed (again I dont remember this). The next day was about 35 degrees and my first taste of a hangover. Vowed never to drink again, and I didn't for about a year.

43 minutes ago, chrisfox said:

Was that The Trees? off holly tree avenue near to Spar?  Spent many a lunchtime in there when I was doing my A-levels playing pool instead of revising!

First pint though would have been at the Workhouse on Vaughan way.  You had to be pretty "special" not to get served in there.  I think i was about 14 at the time

That's the one, the Trees lol

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

The Generous Briton in Melton Mowbray. Landlord had a fairly relaxed policy on serving underage persons, albeit with a dash of responsibility in that he would only serve beer and not spirits to us and we had to sit in the back and not act like a bunch of nobheads. 

This would have been around 1989. Less than a £1 for a pint in those days!

Hahahahaah thats brought back some memories... mine wasn't a pint though, it was half a lager and black and a few years prior to you :D 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Legally, The Woodies. 

I'm pretty sure it was Fosters. Ugh. 

(Illegally, almost certainly The Shed. Edit: Although I'm now doubting myself, I'm sure there was a pub on Stonehill Ave I can't remember the name of that was ludicrously reckless / liberal with who they served given we were meant to be in school literally next door.) 

The Trees, I used to live near there

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MattP said:

Anyone genuinely like the taste of beer when they first tried it?

I've said before that there's not many things you dislike but you keep doing it until you do.

Could you imagine punching yourself in the bollocks and saying "aye, you get used to it, it's not so bad eventually"

• Haha 1

First technical pint would probably have been The Shed, they used to serve anyone 14 and up. Good times

When I was a nipper, on the odd occasion when mum couldn't deal with a Sunday roast, we used to go to the White Swan in Sileby. I'd be sent up to get drinks, and I'd have a shandy. The barman would put a splash of lemonade in then basically a full pint of lager. I was 7!

• Haha 1

Old English cider in the local park from about 14 but my first pint out was in The Secret Jazz Company at the top of High Street. 1990 and to this day I have no idea why we choose that place. I'd just turned 16 but looked about 10 and can't believe any of us got served. 

I remember it was a laugh but never felt comfortable in a shirt,  trousers and shoes  That remains the only time I've ever worn than combo apart from weddings and funerals ??

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

The cavalier in Lutterworth would serve us aged 14 in our school uniform, well at least they did until our deputy head mistress came for a lunch drink and caught us all drinking and playing pool lol

It might have been my wife that served you lol

She worked behind the bar in the Cav for years and couldn't give a shit who she served :D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Legally, The Woodies. 

I'm pretty sure it was Fosters. Ugh. 

(Illegally, almost certainly The Shed. Edit: Although I'm now doubting myself, I'm sure there was a pub on Stonehill Ave I can't remember the name of that was ludicrously reckless / liberal with who they served given we were meant to be in school literally next door.) 

The Trees? Horrific place. 

Remember my first few beers. My dad let me drink some tins of Heineken one New Year’s Eve, thought it was rank at the time and still turn my nose up at a pint due to this despite me being 12/13 ish.

• Haha 1

You know what,I forgot everything since 1958..but it must of been good,..my grans fault she did tell my mam!!!,to mix it with my milk...

First baby to take a breatherlizer in charge of a pushchair...but officer it was only for a bit of collic....:beer:

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

The cavalier in Lutterworth would serve us aged 14 in our school uniform, well at least they did until our deputy head mistress came for a lunch drink and caught us all drinking and playing pool lol

If this was an late 80's Channel 4 teen drama she'd say "what the bloody hell you doing in here? Now gimme that cue and a pint of bitter and I'll thrash the lot of ya!". In a broad Yorkshire accent. 

14 hours ago, Stadt said:

I've said before that there's not many things you dislike but you keep doing it until you do.

Could you imagine punching yourself in the bollocks and saying "aye, you get used to it, it's not so bad eventually"

It wasn't really like that for me, my 18th was one of the few times early on I got legitimately twatted on lager. Otherwise I just wasn't keen and never really forced myself to drink it. 

Mostly just drunk shorts until someone at uni introduced me to Magners and I realised that not all cider was as shit as Strongbow. 

When I went to Belgium I made an effort to try the local beers and I guess that's when I clocked that not all beer tasted like Carling haha. 

Now I won't drink anything else really.