Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Leicester without Mahrez

6 hours ago, Livid said:

He was a fantastic player, we will be lucky to get someone with such incredible individual talent in the near future. He was an absolute joy to watch when he was on his game.

As a team I think we came a bit one dimensional at times when he was here. If the chips were down the only option we seemed to adopt was give it to Riyhad and let's see if he can bail us out.

He's gone to Man City, got his bumper payday, will pick up a few medals and he'll probably be happy with that. His best days will always be here though, he is a street player who was given a licence to roam here but is having the life squeezed out of his game at Man City

It's down to him to adapt and not be a one trick pony. Pep likes his players to graft a bit as well which has never been a strong point of his. He's now a little fish in a big pond surrounded by better footballers who have more to offer. Due to all the competitions City are in I'd imagine he's just viewed as a very decent squad player to them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoopid said:

For all Pep's supposed ability to improve players I see little sign of it in Riyad.

Often wonder if he regrets going. After being an integral part of the Leicester miracle to being a bit-part, largely overlooked so-so part of Man City's second team - must be a blow to his self regard.

Probably not. But his ego must be taking a battering - for that reason I don't think he'll hang around there for long.

Probably his lack of self regard and bone idleness are a problem to Pep? He likes his pound of flesh and expects his players to die for the cause. Mahrez doesn't strike me as being that type of player.  He's another year older and any medals will be hollow because of his minor bit part performances. I see him fading into obscurity.

• Like 2

Part of me thinks mahrez would not have fitted into this team. There is a lot of energy, movement, one touch passing with our current team. 

Mahrez would have dropped deep and demanded the ball which is exactly what Maddison does at a quicker tempo.

Mahrez was ridiculously skilful but he had players to cover him when what he tried didn't come off. We would be leaking goals with mahrez and Ricardo on that right side.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

If City want chilwell, do a straight swap for Mahrez as he hardly gets a kick there, and then sign Tierney.

Yes I know it will never happen but Tielemans, Maddison and Mahrez behind Vardy would be incredible. 

@TeppoPortin whats confusing pal?

13 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

If City want chilwell, do a straight swap for Mahrez as he hardly gets a kick there, and then sign Tierney.

Yes I know it will never happen but Tielemans, Maddison and Mahrez behind Vardy would be incredible. 

I think Chilwell might be worth more than Marhez now. Wouldn't personally want him anywhere near our young team, he's bone idle and wouldn't fit in with the system let alone sustain the work rate. There's a reason he's not being picked for Man City regularly, he's not good enough. At 28yrs he's not going to get any better or grow a work ethic. Chilwell is very young, keen and energetic and in a couple of years if he's still here, will be worth two Marhez's, more sought after and Marhez will have faded into obscurity when sold by Man City.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think Chilwell might be worth more than Marhez now. Wouldn't personally want him anywhere near our young team, he's bone idle and wouldn't fit in with the system let alone sustain the work rate. There's a reason he's not being picked for Man City regularly, he's not good enough. At 28yrs he's not going to get any better or grow a work ethic. Chilwell is very young, keen and energetic and in a couple of years if he's still here, will be worth two Marhez's, more sought after and Marhez will have faded into obscurity when sold by Man City.

True, I wouldn't really be that keen on a Mahrez return to be honest. If chilly adds goals and assists to his game and cuts out the defensive lapses he could  be world class. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

True, I wouldn't really be that keen on a Mahrez return to be honest. If chilly adds goals and assists to his game and cuts out the defensive lapses he could  be world class. 

I think he'd benefit his career by staying at least one more season. Rodgers coaching combined with regular play has got to be better at this stage rather than intermittent appearances elsewhere, plus,  it can only help to cement his place in the England squad. You're soon forgotten when you're not playing like Loftus Cheek as there's so many good young prospects coming through. 

Eventually he will want to spread his wings and achieve the best he can and we shouldn't deny him this as it's his job and his right. Now is not quite the time I think but I hope he has a good and genuine advisor and not just some thieving unscrupulous agent looking to cash in on him.

• Like 1

Great Thread & talking point. However given Mahrez’s departure we sure do miss a natural left footer cutting in from the right & Ghezzal hasn’t really done it for me.

Just wondered on people’s thoughts on perhaps taking Knockaert back? Seems to have proven himself at this level & would be a better choice than Ghezzal off the bench.

Probably unlikely unless Brighton were to be relegated?

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Probably his lack of self regard and bone idleness are a problem to Pep? He likes his pound of flesh and expects his players to die for the cause. Mahrez doesn't strike me as being that type of player.  He's another year older and any medals will be hollow because of his minor bit part performances. I see him fading into obscurity.

despite all the criticism, Riyad did cover a lot of ground. It isn't easy to defend whilst being the favoured out ball/all round creative genius. I'm not saying he always worked as hard as he could have, but bone idle isn't really fair, imho.

He did top the distance ran charts for us, in some games.

Mahrez will still having the quality he has been showing for years, and Silva isn't getting any younger.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

despite all the criticism, Riyad did cover a lot of ground. It isn't easy to defend whilst being the favoured out ball/all round creative genius. I'm not saying he always worked as hard as he could have, but bone idle isn't really fair, imho.

He did top the distance ran charts for us, in some games.

Mahrez will still having the quality he has been showing for years, and Silva isn't getting any younger.

He must be quite deceptive then because a little while ago it was the same criticism by Man City fans as to the reason for why he wasn't getting picked. As for Silva, who is a different class and type of player, when ha sadly does have to retire, they'll no doubt replace him with better than Riyadh. I can just never see him being more than a bit part player there. It's sad, because he's got incredible talent but I think he limits himself and will regret it one day as he'll never reach his full potential as good as he is. 

Feel Mahrez has got the “made it” problem. He has earned his move to a club that is consistently pushing for trophies, and that is great for him. However, not sure he has the fire to continue with the effort/fight that got him there.

Unfortunately for him, I suspect he will tread water rather than progress (under Lord Pep’s guidance).

Bit sad really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ForeverandEver said:

Great Thread & talking point. However given Mahrez’s departure we sure do miss a natural left footer cutting in from the right & Ghezzal hasn’t really done it for me.

Just wondered on people’s thoughts on perhaps taking Knockaert back? Seems to have proven himself at this level & would be a better choice than Ghezzal off the bench.

Probably unlikely unless Brighton were to be relegated?

If we sign any wingers, they should be good enough for the first team. We have enough squad players already. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

He must be quite deceptive then because a little while ago it was the same criticism by Man City fans as to the reason for why he wasn't getting picked. As for Silva, who is a different class and type of player, when ha sadly does have to retire, they'll no doubt replace him with better than Riyadh. I can just never see him being more than a bit part player there. It's sad, because he's got incredible talent but I think he limits himself and will regret it one day as he'll never reach his full potential as good as he is. 

I guess we will learn more next season. Pep does love his talent to work hard, and I as I don't really follow Man City I hadn't heard that his workrate was a particular issue.

Pep wouldn't have bought Riyad if the stats showed he was lazy, or he was seen as that kind of player within the game. I think bone idle is ott, he certainly wasn't like that in the title season.

1 hour ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Think we need to get over him leaving to be honest and not dedicate a multipage thread to ‘what-ifs’ when we have the most exciting young squad I can remember to focus on.

You seem to have missed the point of my post. I just want to gauge how people think we have moved on, not how we would be doing with him here

6 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I guess we will learn more next season. Pep does love his talent to work hard, and I as I don't really follow Man City I hadn't heard that his workrate was a particular issue.

Pep wouldn't have bought Riyad if the stats showed he was lazy, or he was seen as that kind of player within the game. I think bone idle is ott, he certainly wasn't like that in the title season.

He was exceptional for us that season, we all thought the world of him. Though Ranieri did drop him a couple of times and he himself in an PFA acceptence speech even alluded to the fact that he had at times been told by Ranieri that he had to work harder. The world was at his feet and seemingly his ambition was to play for Barcelona. Whilst I would always want to keep our best players I do understand them wanting to attain their highest level. I would reluctantly have loved him to have achieved that and one day put that shirt on and follow his career.

Sadly it seemed to change. Even in our winning season he could turn up late for training and that got worse. That was well documented and even Vardy and Slimani alluded to it. I also knew through other sources at the training ground. Despite his stats and occasional bursts of brilliance much of the games seemed to pass him by even allowing for his languid style and he was covered up for greatly by a very good fullback in Simpson. You instinctively know when someone is not putting the effort in, sometimes by working hard you can make things happen. Then there were all the other shenanigans of course. I remember the reports of a possible move to Barcelona being muted but two supposed Spanish correspondents close to the club came up with the same supposed inside knowledge that although they had been interested, his work rate etc didn't fit in the mould of the sort of player they would consider recruiting at that time.

Pep amongst other things is supposedly a great motivator and winner. I'm sure he would have believed he could make something even better out of Marhez. I would think he could too. In fairness, it also has to be admitted that in Bernado Silva and Sterling this year he would have come up against trying to usurp two of the Premierships best performers! I also in fairness don't  follow Man City to any real degree other than I do think they're exciting to watch mostly. There have been negative comments made about Marhez in the general media hubbub you read online supposedly from their supporters re Marhez and once, possibly before or after we played them, I just looked at their forum and was quite surprised regarding the negativity about him and that he'd been a poor signing etc. He's in the right place with the right man to work,  learn and improve. It's up to him I suppose. 

I didn't see the game against Spurs last night but saw he'd been in the squad. I just checked to see his performance ratings.

The Manchester Evening Standard player ratings of his performance were:

'Riyad Mahrez- After a dreadful, peripheral first half, he saw plenty of the ball - but his final pass and crossing were still not of the requisite standard. 5

Sky Sports:

Riyad Mahrez - 5 Another surprising selection following an inconsistent first season at City. He was pushed off the ball too easily at times and it was surprising he was not substituted until the 85th minute.

Daily Mirror:

Mahrez 5 - Booked. City's 'daisy' – some days he turns it on, some days he doesn't.

Sounds to me as if he's not changed much sadly. Next season could be his last there unless there's improvement I feel. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

There's two issues I have observed. A) Riyad played every game for us, got into his flair groove and was amazing. At City he isn't able to get his groove on. B) every time I have seen him he is completely stuck to the flank and never shifts. This is clearly his instructions, but negates his opportunity to drift and find space. Effectively reducing his impact.

He is definitely told to create the width and make the pitch big. But he was never more than 5 meters from the touchline at any point. I've seen this in other games he's played. I think they use him as a threatening decoy to create space for others. A £60million decoy!!

To be honest I'd still have him back. He's more than capable of bringing in 20-30 goals + assists in a season. I do think his game is a bit predictable for the elite level though. He's slow on the ball and any defender is going to know he is going to try to cut inside.