Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Leicester without Mahrez

That’s a good review and with our current league position and matching our points tally from last season already we’ve arguably improved slightly. But it does highlight how good he was for us... we combine 4 or 5 players together and they still don’t beat his goal tally and this was in a season where his head was clearly turned. 

For me those wide positions are the area we could / should improve the most. The three of Ndidi / Maddison / Tielemans is very well balanced, creative and now scoring goals. But as Riyad showed our inside forwards / wingers aren’t anywhere close to the numbers they could produce. 

It will be interesting to see if we recruit anyone in those positions in the summer. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Timothy Weah of PSG who is currently on loan at Celtic spend next season on loan here. We’ve also been linked with Harry Wilson of Liverpool (on loan to Derby) and Jarod Bowen of Hull too. 

We have coped more than remarkable. Though it would have been amazing to see Mahrez in the same team as Maddison and Tielemans. Also, imagine if Mahrez had Ricardo behind him instead of Simpson. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Bloody Fraud and his coherent plans. It's a shame he never got it to click properly on the pitch as I still think he goes about things the right way with his team building. 

How much would we have to pay Puel to agree to take over our academy from Beaglehole? :ph34r:

Obviously he wouldn't, but it'd be perfect for our shiny new training ground and academy.

• Like 1

If City want chilwell, do a straight swap for Mahrez as he hardly gets a kick there, and then sign Tierney.

Yes I know it will never happen but Tielemans, Maddison and Mahrez behind Vardy would be incredible. 

• Like 3

A good review although i feel it's a little unfair to expect the same input from players new to the league and/or team. Mahrez took a while to settle and produce the contribution he did in the last 2/3 seasons. It will be interesting to see the stats next season, assuming the same players are still with us. 

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Had the right ideas on paper but was an absolute disgrace at times at his implemtation on the field. Tielemans has hit the nail on the head with the confusion and he'd only had to put up with it for 2 games and could at least speak French with him. Puel had the uncanny knack of his team only committing 1 or 2 players forward in to the box at any one time but then also being exposed and carved open at the back time after time. The whole middle of the park was made of wet bog roll.

So true that last sentence. I feel like the big difference since Rodgers arrival has been allowing Ndidi to press and win the ball early and higher up the pitch. Under Puel it felt like Ndidi and Mendy were told to run backwards as soon as we lost the ball, mainly to cover our marauding full backs, but as you said it left us too easy to cut through as there’s no pressure on the opposition. Incidentally want did Tielemans say?

On topic Gray and Barnes need to start chipping in with goals, that is the big loss with Mahrez. Goals and more importantly match winning goals. I always think of that Watford game where he was poor all game but had that one moment of composure (not even genius) and won us the game. One chance one goal 3 points. As much as I rate Barnes and Gray they lack that composure to put a bad game or a frustrating game out of their heads and take the chance when it comes not snatch at it. Barnes I’m sure will get there not so sure about Gray.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

A good review although i feel it's a little unfair to expect the same input from players new to the league and/or team. Mahrez took a while to settle and produce the contribution he did in the last 2/3 seasons. It will be interesting to see the stats next season, assuming the same players are still with us. 

It might be unfair, but it was basically what we needed to happen. I agree I think next season should be better. 

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

This is like 2016 again when Kante threads kept cropping up.

Mahrez has gone.  He's picked his toys up from out of his pram and stropped up the road to sit on Pep's bench.

I don't miss him and I certainly don't miss his baggage, strikes and airport sulks. 

Only players that want to play for Leicester need apply.

Did you read the post? I'm not whining for him to come back, I'm posing the question "have we successfully moved on as a club?". It's a discussion forum about Leicester City, this is a topic about Leicester City's progress. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Did you read the post? I'm not whining for him to come back, I'm posing the question "have we successfully moved on as a club?". It's a discussion forum about Leicester City, this is a topic about Leicester City's progress. 

Yes.  Why do you think I'm replying to you?  Seems that you haven't read though this thread yourself.  That was aimed at all the people saying bring him back.

:rolleyes:

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

Mahrez has gone.  He's picked his toys up from out of his pram and stropped up the road to sit on Pep's bench.

I don't miss him and I certainly don't miss his baggage, strikes and airport sulks. 

I agree with that.

As good as Mahrez was for us we have to keep moving forward.

Mahrez and Drinkwater have not had it all their own way at their new teams. Even Kante has had his issues under a new manager. 

It’s a cautionary tale about the ‘grass being greener’, but the best way to counter it is with success of our own and chipping away at the monopoly of the big six. If we set ourselves up to be the club that gives promising young talent a route into the first team - that would be a good start - and it’s what we’re achieving with some of our own prospects and the new training facilities.

We won’t compete for big name signings, but we might compete with academy prospects who want to fast track their careers. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 2

I'd welcome back Riyad the player tomorrow. The ego... not so much. Hence as most people say it's probably for the best we parted ways.

Ideally we'd want to find a younger version who can get to / is close to the same level but who wants to play for us. Can you imagine Felipe Anderson in our current team? That would have been disgustingly good. 

Though we've made up the numbers, if we had a Riyad type on top of what we already have, we'd be a seriously strong outfit.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I absolutely miss him. 

• Like 3

Its sad to see mahrez not getting much game time at man city.

Wasted talent.

Why couldnt he be happy being the big star playing every game for us?

We have moved on. The burden of creativity is shared across several players now.

Mahrezs career seems to have stalled although could be revived with a loan back to the mighty leicester:riyad:

14 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Its sad to see mahrez not getting much game time at man city.

Wasted talent.

Why couldnt he be happy being the big star playing every game for us?

We have moved on. The burden of creativity is shared across several players now.

Mahrezs career seems to have stalled although could be revived with a loan back to the mighty leicester:riyad:

I fear that he will become a victim of squad rotation at Man City. He is the type of player who needs to play every week and at present is only a bit part. 

Honestly he should've stayed with us in hind sight and yes I would like him back, he is never going to get a regular game at City and will probably end up like Scott Sinclair at Celtic.