Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Total football fantasy here but, If VAR had been used durimg our title winning season, I wonder how many points we would have ended up with? More or less?

Also, would Vardy have been sent off for "diving" vs West Ham, after the footage showed Ogbonna pulled him back before they came together? If I remember rightly, he was also banned for 2 matches afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Total football fantasy here but, If VAR had been used durimg our title winning season, I wonder how many points we would have ended up with? More or less?

Also, would Vardy have been sent off for "diving" vs West Ham, after the footage showed Ogbonna pulled him back before they came together? If I remember rightly, he was also banned for 2 matches afterwards.

Less .... we had huth .........

• Haha 2

I can imagine Nuno picking up the ohone saying "What is even a West Ham, is it a theme park in east London?"

If West Ham were located in Suffolk, would anybody care about them!

2 hours ago, Koke said:

I can imagine Nuno picking up the ohone saying "What is even a West Ham, is it a theme park in east London?"

If West Ham were located in Suffolk, would anybody care about them!

The buffoon was claiming credit for wanting English managers in the Premier League yet is quite happy for his own team to appoint foreign coaches.

Prat.

Lol some fans are really deluded. Especially fans of London clubs.

Pochettini has much bigger fish to fry. Wilder is a Sheff Utd fan and they don't look like being in trouble this season. And Nuno wouldn't even entertain the idea at such a basket case of a club (He turned down Everton whilst he was in the Championship FFS!). 

• Like 2

On 30/12/2019 at 11:06, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that us and Wolves had Man City and Liverpool (both with huge squads) over the busy Christmas period. We were the two before the start of the season who looked most likely to upset the applecart. 

As well as Man City, Liverpool also will have played 3 of their last 4 PL games at home - their only away game of the 4 being us of course.

They also get an extra day off before their home game vs Sheffield United. There's just no way they and City haven't been hugely accomodated. It's just disingenuous to say otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

As well as Man City, Liverpool also will have played 3 of their last 4 PL games at home - their only away game of the 4 being us of course.

They also get an extra day off before their home game vs Sheffield United. There's just no way they and City haven't been hugely accomodated. It's just disingenuous to say otherwise. 

Liverpool definitely seem to of had the least congested run over Christmas. It seems unfair. 

9 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Liverpool definitely seem to of had the least congested run over Christmas. It seems unfair. 

Yeah, and their games outside the league haven't been that tight actually. They had a few days off before playing us, then had one day more than us before playing Wolves at home.

Then an extra day and a late kick-off, again at home vs Sheffield United! And though Man City have had a day less before playing their final festive game, they will also have played 3 out of their last 4 league games at home. It's just unfair to the rest of the teams and couldn't be a bigger sign post of entitlement.

16 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

someone’s game had to be moved to Thursday and liverpool are top ....... maybe they have been given the rub of the green because they went to Dubai , who knows but I can’t abide the conspiracy stuff ......  remember that the Thursday game can’t have us or villa cos of our cup game on tues so we have to play sat .....

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

someone’s game had to be moved to Thursday and liverpool are top ....... maybe they have been given the rub of the green because they went to Dubai , who knows but I can’t abide the conspiracy stuff ......  remember that the Thursday game can’t have us or villa cos of our cup game on tues so we have to play sat .....

But you have to admit it's extremely convenient that both teams have played 3 out of their last 4 PL games at HOME.

That's a huge advantage to how likely they pick up maximum points out of 4 consecutive PL games, no?

2 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

But you have to admit it's extremely convenient that both teams have played 3 out of their last 4 PL games at HOME.

That's a huge advantage to how likely they pick up maximum points out of 4 consecutive PL games, no?

Liverpool missed their game at West Ham .... they should have played 2 away and then 2 at home .... quite a few teams have played two consecutive home fixtures inc Newcastle.....

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Liverpool missed their game at West Ham .... they should have played 2 away and then 2 at home .... quite a few teams have played two consecutive home fixtures inc Newcastle.....

I know. It's just worked out conveniently is all.

We on the other hand have played only 1 game at home and 3 away.

Edited by Kendal Fox

22 hours ago, The Bear said:

They'd be offside by more than 1mm because of the inbuilt margin of error. If it is still offside after that then it would be noticeable, rather than impossible to see with the human eye. 

If there's any margin of error at all, then it's vulnerable to corruption. From identical situations, some will get given, some won't. A club might end up winning a title or getting relegated on the flip of a coin. VAR has to be as precise as it can be, or it's pointless having it.

• Like 2

No! A well worked out margin of error/leeway means the decisions given offside are obviously correct to the naked eye rather than frustratingly miniscule and impossible to tell. 

As for the argument where only a players feet can be offside, that would still have major issues. Like these two examples, which are both level in any sensible fan's view, but would be offside by an even bigger margin under that new rule.

eb667596de6d860164243aaae6991036.jpgd66454b65ea5836622b0618f9f0a810c.jpg

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

No! A well worked out margin of error/leeway means the decisions given offside are obviously correct to the naked eye rather than frustratingly miniscule and impossible to tell. 

As for the argument where only a players feet can be offside, that would still have major issues. Like these two examples, which are both level in any sensible fan's view, but would be offside by an even bigger margin under that new rule.

The problem is that people don't like that VAR is slowing the game down, ruling out apparently legit goals and ruining goal celebrations. I don't think introducing a margin of error fixes this. Firstly, as I said, it will be possible for someone looking at a close call to give it either way. We're trying to avoid this. Besides, let's say the margin is 10mm - whenever a player is 10mm on or off, we'll still get these same situations where it's pretty much impossible to tell, anyway. You could say the margin of error is 10 yards and you'd still get people being annoyed by VAR checking goals.

As for the argument about only feet being looked at for offsides, I agree about the problem you mentioned, and it also doesn't solve the problem at all. There will still be offsides that are exactly as close to call by judging this way. Also, there are situations when the attacker is leaning forward and is clearly offside, but his feet are clearly onside.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

The problem is that people don't like that VAR is slowing the game down, ruling out apparently legit goals and ruining goal celebrations. I don't think introducing a margin of error fixes this. Firstly, as I said, it will be possible for someone looking at a close call to give it either way. We're trying to avoid this. Besides, let's say the margin is 10mm - whenever a player is 10mm on or off, we'll still get these same situations where it's pretty much impossible to tell, anyway. You could say the margin of error is 10 yards and you'd still get people being annoyed by VAR checking goals.

As for the argument about only feet being looked at for offsides, I agree about the problem you mentioned, and it also doesn't solve the problem at all. There will still be offsides that are exactly as close to call by judging this way. Also, there are situations when the attacker is leaning forward and is clearly offside, but his feet are clearly onside.

That’s why in other sports such as cricket they have umpires call. If it’s too close to confirm an error has been made stay with the original onfield decision.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

The technology can be used more quickly - decisions are made much faster than we see but they are then checked and rechecked to avoid something else being missed and a huge furore thereafter - imagine after our game v Everton where kelechi’s offside is reversed and later they see a different offence earlier in the move......

using a hatched margin of error area means that as soon as the ‘offside line’ of the striker appears outside that hatched area then it’s an immediate call - no need to double and triple check -  the game would have to accept that the odd slight error could occur but fundamentally, the striker was offside anyway, just not too offside ! 

as far as a point to use as a pivot, we’ve had feet suggested and currently armpits are used .... my suggestion is the area around the middle .... top of hips down to lower part of the arse ....