Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

14 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

But what does it mean if a club has a lot of decisions overturned in their favour?  It probably means that referees have got it wrong against them on more occasions and if that is happening in the big decisions is it happening elsewhere too.

1 hour ago, CUJimmy said:

But what does it mean if a club has a lot of decisions overturned in their favour?  It probably means that referees have got it wrong against them on more occasions and if that is happening in the big decisions is it happening elsewhere too.

No, more than likely a club getting more decisions than others (eg Brighton) is completely down to randomness and variance. That article linked above shows its pretty much a bell shaped curve. 

10 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

Something else that is irritating about Man City and feels like big club entitlement is that, during the festive matches, they've only had to play 1 away game (the loss to Wolves) - with 3 out of their 4 Christmas fixtures being played at the Etihad. We, on the other hand, just got the 1 game at home (vs Liverpool), with 3 of our 4 fixtures being away!

I might be being a little pedantic, but looking at it like that, it is annoying

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that us and Wolves had Man City and Liverpool (both with huge squads) over the busy Christmas period. We were the two before the start of the season who looked most likely to upset the applecart. 

• Like 1

VAR can be manipulated to whatever the FA/PL desire. It’s okay saying ‘the decision was correct’, but any tight offside decision can be swung whichever was they want it. For example, the ball being played happens over milliseconds, but with those, a player could be onside or offside as they’re generally moving at speed in opposite directions. The Spurs/Norwich one was a farce because the VAR replay and lines showed Pukki onside then a later still image showed the lines reversed. 

There’s also the argument that the ref giving a contentious decision (like the Mane penalty). That was given and not deemed to have been a clear and obvious error. However, if it suited the people in charge (had it been Vardy being tripped), it was definitely ambiguous enough to have been overturned and it probably would’ve been. 

I’m not saying that the FA/PL have an agenda, but if they did, VAR completely facilitates it. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, twister said:

Wolves and sheffield united have had 6 go against them

thats hardly equal is it

I still back what I said and say their is somthing dodgy about the whole thing.

Just to make sure you didn't miss it... 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Seen that haaland guy chose Dortmund over Utd to continue his progression over money. It’s good for teams like them and us to some extent that if your a young up and coming player money may not be ok their mind straight away and if they fancy playing over money teams like Utd and arsenal may not get what they want all the time any more. Obviously at the min teams like Liverpool and Man City will still get the pick of the players because they are winning everything but hopefully more players look at his decision and not jump for the money. I don’t know how much was money was in the decision so this may just be a silly post if it wasn’t a lot 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

How didn't VAR look at the Van Dijk handball? 

They did and decided it was inconclusive. 

I have to agree, even with my gold coloured tin-foil hat on. Even with the slo-mo you can't be sure if it touched his arm. The ball doesn't seem to deflect or spin differently. 

The offside is still bollocks though. 

• Like 1

Does Dermot Gallagher ever have any opinion other than 'correct decision' on ref watch?!

Classic refusal to disagree with his mates or upset one of his own, referee's union and all that.

Refusal to admit mistakes and learn from mistakes is one of a few reasons the standard of refereeing doesn't move forward.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

With regards the offside decisions. Forget changing the rule, you just need some margin of error built in to the system to stop all these ridiculous offsides given by mm that no-one wants to see. 

You simply draw the two lines as you do now from each body part. Then you press a button to make them both wider. If they overlap it's onside. If there's a gap it's offside. The exact amount would have to be decided by reviewing previous tight decisions, by players and ex-refs. It could be 5cm, 10cm, whatever. As long as everyone looks at it and can say "yeah that's just offside". 

Seems a simple solution to me.

But even with that system a player will be offside by 1mm, which is exactly what you say ‘no-one’ wants to see! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Does Dermot Gallagher ever have any opinion other than 'correct decision' on ref watch?!

Classic refusal to disagree with his mates or upset one of his own, referee's union and all that.

Refusal to admit mistakes and learn from mistakes is one of a few reasons the standard of refereeing doesn't move forward.

And the reason why so many decisions that should be overturned are not .... it’s more non decisions that are changed rather than positive judgments which are reversed ....

The offside solution is simple. No need for lines. No need for expanding lines. Just look at replay from the right angle (as in the one that looks along the line), and if you can't tell from 20-30 seconds of looking at that, stick with the on field decision.

Another option, is they used to use a thing on highlight shows is like a "screen" that you'd draw across the field from the point of the last defender. If any part of the attacker is coming through the screen it's offside. That way you do away with the second line and the confusion with that. It's one simple point of reference. I'll try and find an image of it as I've probably not explained that very well lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50944416

Not quite sure what to make of this.

Or this:

image.png.bd5554b142c97b0143a9c2eef61e9613.png

The raw data on its own doesn’t tell you anything really for example we had Ndidi’s goal against Spurs go against us, however, no arguments, no dramas was clearly offside. We had the Wolves goal disallowed against us for handball, under the new rules these were both clear and obvious.

Both decisions in the Wolves Liverpool game could have gone either way. The goals for Norwich and Sheffield United yesterday are more debatable and I would argue not what the rule is in place for.

Some of the more contentious decisions the hairs width offsides, the penalties and the handballs do tend to go in favour of the bigger teams.

11 hours ago, The Bear said:

With regards the offside decisions. Forget changing the rule, you just need some margin of error built in to the system to stop all these ridiculous offsides given by mm that no-one wants to see. 

You simply draw the two lines as you do now from each body part. Then you press a button to make them both wider. If they overlap it's onside. If there's a gap it's offside. The exact amount would have to be decided by reviewing previous tight decisions, by players and ex-refs. It could be 5cm, 10cm, whatever. As long as everyone looks at it and can say "yeah that's just offside". 

Seems a simple solution to me. 

The whole which frame are they using is explained on the Premier League website. The cameras are all 50fps, and they use the first frame where the ball comes into contact with the passer's foot (not when it leaves the foot). So that should always be consistent. 

Exactly. It seems VAR is now working in fractions of mm's which obviously no human eye can tell in real time. There needs to be a broad agreement that we go back to clear daylight or benefit of the doubt going with the forward. 

I'm not sure any of us really car if armpits, pubic hairs or whatever else are offside. 

VAR is getting major things wrong still and splitting hairs with offside.

8 hours ago, Phube said:

But even with that system a player will be offside by 1mm, which is exactly what you say ‘no-one’ wants to see! 

They'd be offside by more than 1mm because of the inbuilt margin of error. If it is still offside after that then it would be noticeable, rather than impossible to see with the human eye. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 3