Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Congratulations Brendan!

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They do. As do Portsmouth. 

Celtic are a big club though but as I mentioned the SPL isn't funded at all like the PL. Their squad atm is Championship, or even lower, standard but in the PL with the PL money... I couldn't see anything past top 6 for Celtic or Rangers. 

Top 6 is a bit much. Top10 team maybe. The prem is more competitive than ever these days. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Celtic are a big club though but as I mentioned the SPL isn't funded at all like the PL. Their squad atm is Championship, or even lower, standard but in the PL with the PL money... I couldn't see anything past top 6 for Celtic or Rangers. 

They fit 40,000 into fratton park now?

:nigel:

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Big club, good history, big ground, great atmosphere.... no doubt about it, if they were in the PL with all the money clubs get they'd be top 6. They'd attract players from all over. Them and Rangers are huge clubs.

Their current squad is poor but they have no money up there. It's not comparable to our PL.

Leeds are a huge club who were in a champions league semi final and competing right at the top of the Premier League at the start of this century. Look at where they've been since.

Size of club isnt an indicator of how well you do. Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Derby etc. The list goes on, but Leeds is the biggest example of that.

Its always been a hypothetical debate anyway, but if Celtic and especially Rangers come into our league their current squads would be relegated. A club like Everton have just piled £100m+ on top of an established Premier League side thats been there forever and only managed 8th at best. The work Celtic would have to do to their squad would take them years to compete, if ever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Big club no doubt. But when you or rangers win the league for 30 straight years or so you've  got a generation of footy fans who just pick either club and 'support' them.  Bet 75% of Scotland  support celtic or rangers and the remaining 25% support the other league clubs lol.

Could be talking out of me arse  but whatever .

The other factor is even if they were in EPL with EPL money could they attract big big stars to glasgow..i dunno maybe??? Its scotland after all.  Its not London or madrid or mighty Leicester lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Leeds are a huge club who were in a champions league semi final and competing right at the top of the Premier League at the start of this century. Look at where they've been since.

Size of club isnt an indicator of how well you do. Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Derby etc. The list goes on, but Leeds is the biggest example of that.

Its always been a hypothetical debate anyway, but if Celtic and especially Rangers come into our league their current squads would be relegated. A club like Everton have just piled £100m+ on top of an established Premier League side thats been there forever and only managed 8th at best. The work Celtic would have to do to their squad would take them years to compete, if ever.

Agree with this apart from the Leeds bit. They aren't huge, they played in the third tier for about five season. 

9 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

You've just described Newcastle.

Apart from the "big club" bit. I'm glad you crossed off "great atmosphere" though lol St James' is one of those grounds the media big up as a great atmosphere, I've been four times as an away fan and they are always silent.

15 hours ago, TK95 said:

Fairplay to Neil Lennon and Scott Brown for publicly acknowledging the work Brendan has done.

Fans seem to want to airbrush him

Brendan's work put an extra 10k on their average gates. Despite them winning titles every year, he obviously did something more to get the fans in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agree with this apart from the Leeds bit. They aren't huge, they played in the third tier for about five season. 

That's the point though. Leeds in 2001 were one of the biggest clubs in the country. History, fanbase and financially. No one could have predicted theyd end up in that situation. When everyone halls about Celtic they assume their huge following would just equal automatic top 6 Premier League. 

2 hours ago, BluethroughtheMiddle said:

This forum never fails to entertain. In one thread we are slagging off Man City fans for their disrespectful and disparaging comments about us, and then this thread we are doing the same about Celtic. :facepalm:

To be fair, we have just taken an absolute battering off Celtic fans and Celtic pundits in the past few months. 

They aren't exactly flavour of the month on here are they?

20 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Behave your self.

But but but if if if. The fact is no they are a big club in a equivalent to championship/league 1 team.

If notts county won the championship nearly every year but couldnt go any further and averaged the group stages no further every year of champions league they would be a big club.

Top 15 teams in prem are better than celtic

Celtic are a pub team, in a pub league, with a load of alki fans.

shite quality league in a 3rd world country.

• Haha 3

I couldn't give a flying fcuk regarding Scottish Football. Was good when it was a much more level playing field years ago and most first and second division clubs had 2 or 3 Scotsmen in their teams. Well done Neil.

22 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

That's the point though. Leeds in 2001 were one of the biggest clubs in the country. History, fanbase and financially. No one could have predicted theyd end up in that situation. When everyone halls about Celtic they assume their huge following would just equal automatic top 6 Premier League. 

Leeds is a very poor example given they are largely where they are due to gross financial mismanagement.

On 05/05/2019 at 08:49, Fox92 said:

Apart from the "big club" bit. I'm glad you crossed off "great atmosphere" though lol St James' is one of those grounds the media big up as a great atmosphere, I've been four times as an away fan and they are always silent.

We've played them at St James' Park the last few times in the middle of their bad runs to be fair.

5 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Leeds is a very poor example given they are largely where they are due to gross financial mismanagement.

Which further shows there are many other factors involved rather than just how big a club you are.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Which further shows there are many other factors involved rather than just how big a club you are.

Exactly my point mate and why the big club myth, by it's very definition (or lack of), is by and large pointless and a flawed argument in modern times. 

On 04/05/2019 at 18:09, Fox92 said:

Big club, good history, big ground, great atmosphere.... no doubt about it, if they were in the PL with all the money clubs get they'd be top 6. They'd attract players from all over. Them and Rangers are huge clubs.

Their current squad is poor but they have no money up there. It's not comparable to our PL.

By those rules, Sheff Wednesday, Villa and Dirty Leeds should be permanently established in the top 6 of the Prem.

The Glasgow clubs would find themselves as small fish in an ocean in the English league structure. Without Arab or Russian oil millions, they'd be downright ordinary.

Edited by OntarioFox