Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

52 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

He was on about £10k a week there where as we pay him about £80k a week, he needs to be sold.

I mean by that logic we need to sell everyone and start again, but we've just had Tielemans, Soyuncu, Mendy, Perez, Amartey, Betrand and Tete leave, Maddison is leaving, likelihood is so is Castagne. That's 8 of the 25 man squad for last season gone, 9 if Evans doesn't sign a new contract, Justin and Albrighton are the only senior players to come back in, so at a bare minimum you're looking for 6-7 new signings/youth team promotions. There's a huge rebuild to undertake this summer, there's no sense in actively making the rebuild bigger than it needs to be because a few fans prefer vibes over statistics

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 4everfox said:

Youri was into his final year of his contract last season, Barnes still has two years left so they aren't comparable. Make him stay and get us back up.

They are comparable because regardless of how long left they have on their contract, you’re putting a player on the pitch who would rather be somewhere else (obviously if Barnes wants to stay then great, but I think he’d rather play in the premier league earning more money). 

This whole mentality is a huge reason we were just relegated. I genuinely can’t believe so many people are saying we should keep him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

They are comparable because regardless of how long left they have on their contract, you’re putting a player on the pitch who would rather be somewhere else (obviously if Barnes wants to stay then great, but I think he’d rather play in the premier league earning more money). 

This whole mentality is a huge reason we were just relegated. I genuinely can’t believe so many people are saying we should keep him. 

Would Barnes rather be somewhere else because of prestige, or because or earnings? Its slightly annoying these players don't take responsibility, you didn't see mitrovic jumping ship. I would really be allowing Maresca to be having one to one's with these players and then making the decision whether to keep or let go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walkerfox said:

A lot of people need a reality check unfortunately. We’re a championship club, he’s a premier league level player. He’s going to do everything he can to get out (and so will his agent). 

He’d be great in our team this season, but so would any premier league player. Forcing him to stay isn’t going to produce the results people think it will. This is before we even mention the financial mess we’re in. 

He's a championship player like the rest of the team. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I mean by that logic we need to sell everyone and start again, but we've just had Tielemans, Soyuncu, Mendy, Perez, Amartey, Betrand and Tete leave, Maddison is leaving, likelihood is so is Castagne. That's 8 of the 25 man squad for last season gone, 9 if Evans doesn't sign a new contract, Justin and Albrighton are the only senior players to come back in, so at a bare minimum you're looking for 6-7 new signings/youth team promotions. There's a huge rebuild to undertake this summer, there's no sense in actively making the rebuild bigger than it needs to be because a few fans prefer vibes over statistics

Your first sentence was the most accurate part of your post. Vibes over stats? No, just a fan of believing what I see along side stats that don’t give you a full picture.

Would have hoped if any fans realise that it would be ours considering the numbers we saw when we won the league but hey ho, let’s keep £80k a week flops for a little bit longer.

26 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

The difference being is that we now have a manager who will drop anyone who doesn't put in 100% effort. With two years remaining, it will be Barnes sabotaging his own career if he develops an attitude problem. No chance does a Premier League club try to buy a player who can't even get in a Championship starting lineup, which is what would happen if Barnes tried to down tools.

Just now, 4everfox said:

The difference being is that we now have a manager who will drop anyone who doesn't put in 100% effort. With two years remaining, it will be Barnes sabotaging his own career if he develops an attitude problem. No chance does a Premier League club try to buy a player who can't even get in a Championship starting lineup, which is what would happen if Barnes tried to down tools.

But how does that benefit us? Would it not be best to sell him now and avoid that entirely, whilst making a good chunk of money off him as well?

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Your first sentence was the most accurate part of your post. Vibes over stats? No, just a fan of believing what I see along side stats that don’t give you a full picture.

Would have hoped if any fans realise that it would be ours considering the numbers we saw when we won the league but hey ho, let’s keep £80k a week flops for a little bit longer.

2328 minutes played in the league, 16 goal involvements (9 goals, 7 assists) or a goal involvement every 145.5 minutes played. If a goal or an assist every other game is a flop, then I'd ask what is an average signing to you.

As for stats when we won the league, yea, ours were fantastic and unless you think the only stats that exist are possession and the scoreline then the stats of that season do tell pretty much the full story

Edited by The Doctor

12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Would Barnes rather be somewhere else because of prestige, or because or earnings? Its slightly annoying these players don't take responsibility, you didn't see mitrovic jumping ship. I would really be allowing Maresca to be having one to one's with these players and then making the decision whether to keep or let go.

Not really a good comparison at all. Mitrovic had not done anything in the prem and didn't have any big offers from anywhere. Barnes just finished with 13 goals and clearly has admirers from Newcastle to West Ham. Also it unfortunately won't be up to Maresca who we sell and who we don't. If the player makes it clear he wants off, he is better off gone. Plus financially, £40-50m would make a huge difference. Barnes and Maddison are our most prized assets so will almost certainly cash in.

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Or keep the proven premier league winger on the wing and put the best finisher at the club last season, a man with title winning experience, up top...

download.jpeg.80947feb6b4f7bdafd992a2d337aae24.jpeg

Best finisher at the club last season? Have you just made that up?

Unproven at Championship level yet Barnes is proven and will flourish up front. Not writing Daka off mind. We all hope he will be brilliant next season, that’s if we don’t bin him off.

Edited by Buzzell

1 minute ago, Buzzell said:

Best finisher at the club last season? Have you just made that up?

Unproven at Championship level yet Barnes is proven and will flourish up front. Not writing Daka off mind. We all hope he will be brilliant next season, that’s if we don’t bin him off.

Easy as that.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Easy as that.

Depends on what the club want to do and if an offer comes in worth accepting. I’m not saying I want Daka gone. I actually think there’s a player there and that he will improve. He just needs to be given a good run in the side and I think next season will be pivotal for him. Actually think he has the potential to be the top scorer in the league if given the games.

You can't talk about rebuilds and then not want to sell Barnes. To rebuild you have to sell. The contract issues will help clear up the wage bill but to get players in - at least 6 or 7 as mentioned - you need finance from sales. As ever, Top's preaching sustainability and that translates to financing ourselves. £100m for two players buys those 6 or 7. I have no idea what the player himself wants to do but if he has any international ambitions he'll be completely ignored in Division Two.

11 minutes ago, iancognito said:

You can't talk about rebuilds and then not want to sell Barnes. To rebuild you have to sell. The contract issues will help clear up the wage bill but to get players in - at least 6 or 7 as mentioned - you need finance from sales. As ever, Top's preaching sustainability and that translates to financing ourselves. £100m for two players buys those 6 or 7. I have no idea what the player himself wants to do but if he has any international ambitions he'll be completely ignored in Division Two.

Jumping ahead a bit aren't you?.. 

That's 2025/26 season. 

Just now, weller54 said:

Jumping ahead a bit aren't you?.. 

That's 2025/26 season. 

Kidding me? Don't we just breeze this league and go straight back up? That's how it works. The happy clappers all say so. DOn't forget, we're MASSIVE.

26 minutes ago, iancognito said:

No fan of Southgate but I’d be highly surprised if he gave Barnes any game time unless he seriously ups his application for longer peiods Of games 

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

That player was Lloyd Dyer - until he found the end product too in his final season for us.

It was a pretty wild glow-up the moment he found his scoring boots. Still a huge 'what if' had he stayed on an extra year with us in the Prem.

Dyer from memory did get into double figures for goals in League One to be fair.

1 minute ago, FLAN said:

No fan of Southgate but I’d be highly surprised if he gave Barnes any game time unless he seriously ups his application for longer peiods Of games 

Granted but if Connor Gallagher and Jarrod Bowen can get into squads, Barnes under a top manager can do the same.

1 minute ago, iancognito said:

Granted but if Connor Gallagher and Jarrod Bowen can get into squads, Barnes under a top manager can do the same.

Busy players. Put the hard yards in. That’s the difference 

29 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

Who said he doesn’t want to be here?

Would you want to stay here in the Championship on a 50% wage cut or would you rather get a move to a Prem club with a 50% wage increase & a fat signing on bonus? 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Would you want to stay here in the Championship on a 50% wage cut or would you rather get a move to a Prem club with a 50% wage increase & a fat signing on bonus? 

He hasn’t said he wants to leave though so we can’t just guess can we. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t.