Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely insane to me. He's so effective from the left why fvck with that when he's shown none of the skillset to play down the middle and we've got three quality striking options and no wingers? 

It is true however that Harvey scored more goals that the other three put together whether he has the skill set or not. He isn't a classical central striker but neither are Salah and Rashford.

Edited by An Sionnach

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely insane to me. He's so effective from the left why fvck with that when he's shown none of the skillset to play down the middle and we've got three quality striking options and no wingers? 

Nothing more them a hunch, it would suit him, he's played down the middle a youth levels and in his loan period at WBA.

I just think he's something isn't involved enough out on the left.

People would have said Pep was crazy to try Stones playing as CM.

I'm not convinced long term by any of our striking options. 

Nothing wrong with trying things.

46 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If we manage to persuade Barnes and Iheanacho to stay and make a few astute buys in other positions, we’ll win the Championship next season.

I think it's going too take more then a few astute buys.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Nothing more them a hunch, it would suit him, he's played down the middle a youth levels and in his loan period at WBA.

He quite often chooses not be involved enough 

• Like 1

I think it's going too take more then a few astute buys.

I’m on board with threats of violence as well.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 2

I hope he stays. Barnes and Iheanacho would score a bucket load. Both would steamroll defenders. Barnes got 13 Premier League goals in a relegated side. He'd scire 20+ in the Championship.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Koke said:

I hope he stays. Barnes and Iheanacho would score a bucket load. Both would steamroll defenders. Barnes got 13 Premier League goals in a relegated side. He'd scire 20+ in the Championship.

How can you say this without knowing the players he would have around him?

The notion that the championship is so poor that he would score 20+ is ridiculous. 

It's a notoriously hard league to get out of.

We have no idea what the team will look like on paper at this point, and I think he or anyone else will struggle in a highly competitive championship if we have poor players around him.

Hopefully we can put out a decentr team come the start of the season but the rebuild is massive, nobody has any idea what it will look like.  

So for him to  steamroller to 20+ goals is far from a given. 

Edited by themightyfin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

The notion that the championship is so poor that he would score 20+ is ridiculous. 

We have no idea whatbehtraeam will look like on paper at this point, and I think he or anyone else will struggle in a highly competitive championship if we have poor players around him.

Hopefully we can put out a decentr team come the start of the season but the rebuild is massive, nobody has any idea what it will look like.  

He has consistently scored 10+ in the Prem, I think it’s a fair comment.

3 hours ago, deep blue said:

I would love to see this happen as I suspect Maresca is just the kind of coach to sort him out and put him back on an upward path, but realistically I see no way we're going to hold onto him.  It  will be interesting to see which way his progress will go depending on which club, and coach, he ends up with.

...I do not think Barnes himself has worked out his best position and his place in the team!!!

A coach such as Maresca could change his life.

There are rich pickings to be had in the Premier League,  this one season in the second tier could sort his game out for life. He has always carried an uncertainty in his game, it is full time that he understands the reason for this and strive to overcome what it is that holds him back. 

8 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

No he hasn’t. Last season was the first time he’d scored double figures in the Prem? 

Listen, HMS piss the league is currently boarding. You are either on or you are off.

• Haha 1

Jon Stones as a defensive midfielder makes sense. He is one of the best ball playing centre backs in the league, his touch and his passing are exceptional. Nobody with a brain thought Pep was crazy for having him step forward in to the midfield on occasion. 

But you would have to have completely failed to see how and why Barnes does his best work to want to take him out of wide areas and plonk him down pointlessly in the middle of the park. 

And why? If it ain't broke, etc. He's one of the most effective parts of our attack. Yes, he's fast and he can finish but saying that alone should make him a striker is like saying Mendy has decent positional sense and can tackle so he should be a centre back. 

Barnes instinct isn't to get beyond the defensive line. He does it on occasion, yes, but his preference is to come deeper and get the ball to feet. He likes to ran at his man in possession, which makes him well suited to the role he already plays for us. 

31 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

We have no idea what the team will look like on paper at this point, and I think he or anyone else will struggle in a highly competitive championship if we have poor players around him.

It’s notoriously hard for most teams to get out of because the standard is so poor. 

8 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

We don't need to sell Barnes, he has two years left on his contract. So for that reason alone, I'd keep him. 

There have been many complaints about lack of effort from Barnes so if you cut his pay and damage his career what would you expect him to do. His value would then plummet so far too much of a risk , sell while the going is good is by far the best business policy.

• Like 1

I think sell while his stock is high and scout for a young replacement with high potential in the championship lower league. If Enzo is as good as people say to develop players, he'll hopefully able to mould another one similar to Barnes. 

I'd like him to stay but practically speaking we need to see this season. 

58 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

Stick Barnes up top and buy a proper left winger. He will flourish down the middle in the Championship.

Or keep the proven premier league winger on the wing and put the best finisher at the club last season, a man with title winning experience, up top...

download.jpeg.80947feb6b4f7bdafd992a2d337aae24.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Or keep the proven premier league winger on the wing and put the best finisher at the club last season, a man with title winning experience, up top...

download.jpeg.80947feb6b4f7bdafd992a2d337aae24.jpeg

Bold claim that he is the best finisher at the club.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bold claim that he is the best finisher at the club.

Statistically last season he was. Obviously xG can vary based on the model used but he marginally out performed his, Vary and Iheanacho underperformed theirs.

• Thanks 1