Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

There have been many complaints about lack of effort from Barnes so if you cut his pay and damage his career what would you expect him to do. His value would then plummet so far too much of a risk , sell while the going is good is by far the best business policy.

...to add to this, supporters are saying in hindsight why did we not sell a player with 2 years to go at the height of his value!!!

Selling Barnes now would be a better option,  it is not easy to offload your best players when at the top of their game or halfway through a 4 year contract. But we have to maximise our finances in order to meet the sustainability ideal.

57 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Statistically last season he was. Obviously xG can vary based on the model used but he marginally out performed his, Vary and Iheanacho underperformed theirs.

I’m not one to ignore what I see on the basis of stats and would probably be selling Daka if we have the chance. I really can’t see us getting value for money for him in a more physical league.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m not one to ignore what I see on the basis of stats and would probably be selling Daka if we have the chance. I really can’t see us getting value for money for him in a more physical league.

...he does tend to be eased off the ball too easily!!!

Strength could come in the form of confidence as opposed to hitting the weights and adding more bulk. Once you are confident going into a challenge you put your body in a position where your weight is distributed in a certain way (it is a natural thing to do) and that offers you the balance that you need to offset robust challenges. If you imagine going up against someone who is much bigger than you, just taking up the right position, whereas he will have to foul you in order to play the ball, is all down to belief.

• Like 1

A lot of people need a reality check unfortunately. We’re a championship club, he’s a premier league level player. He’s going to do everything he can to get out (and so will his agent). 

He’d be great in our team this season, but so would any premier league player. Forcing him to stay isn’t going to produce the results people think it will. This is before we even mention the financial mess we’re in. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Might be a chance to get some form and find his feet in the Championship though I think we should try to keep all 3 forwards, the midfield is the area we need to strengthen massively imo

Edited by whoareyaaa

1 minute ago, Walkerfox said:

A lot of people need a reality check unfortunately. We’re a championship club, he’s a premier league level player. He’s going to do everything he can to get out (and so will his agent). 

He’d be great in our team this season, but so would any premier league player. Forcing him to stay isn’t going to produce the results people think it will. This is before we even mention the financial mess we’re in. 

Unfortunatly he's under contract so not a lot his agent can do if we want to keep him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Might be a chance to get some form and find his feet in the Championship though I think we should try to keep all 3 forwards, the midfield is the area we need to strengthen massively imo

He literally needs to find his feet.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Unfortunatly he's under contract so not a lot his agent can do if we want to keep him.

We can but its a business decision in the end and his value will decrease. We need finance to buy new midfielders and a new striker. Of course somebody needs to pay the amount we want for him and at the moment there is little interest.

Bit done being frustrated by him and happy to see him move on. I know we’re in for a drop in quality next year across the board and many of you will say ‘be careful what you wish for’… but I’d rather someone with shit end product who can beat a man versus watching Harvey and his one brain cell get dispossessed again and again in return for all the goal involvements. There, I said it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

...we are a team in the Championship, not a Championship club!!!

Let's not attribute our own view of the world to what we perceive that he will do. His going at a good price right now would help the club financially, but it may not be what he wants, and like Matt Piper, he may have to be sold to help build this team to take us in a different direction.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Let's be honest, the championship is not a significantly higher level than the Austrian bundesliga, which he absolutely pissed while at Salzburg. He had an alright return his first two seasons here considering how interrupted it was in terms of consistent game time, given consistent starts in the championship, there's plenty to suggest he'd be a 20+ striker

Just now, The Doctor said:

Let's be honest, the championship is not a significantly higher level than the Austrian bundesliga, which he absolutely pissed while at Salzburg. He had an alright return his first two seasons here considering how interrupted it was in terms of consistent game time, given consistent starts in the championship, there's plenty to suggest he'd be a 20+ striker

He was on about £10k a week there where as we pay him about £80k a week, he needs to be sold.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we are a team in the Championship, not a Championship club!!!

Let's not attribute our own view of the world to what we perceive that he will do. His going at a good price right now would help the club financially, but it may not be what he wants, and like Matt Piper, he may have to be sold to help build this team to take us in a different direction.

I like that. I'm all for humility. But I feel, for the brand, we need to retain some swagger about us. 

If Everton went down, or West Ham they both would. 

I want the image that we are an aspirant club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bold claim that he is the best finisher at the club.

He's the only one of our three strikers to out perform his xG in both of the last two seasons and was the highest performing against his xG of the three this year. 

Vardy's movement is better, Iheanacho is the better creator but Daka is statistically the best finisher of our strikers. 

13 minutes ago, KFS said:

Bit done being frustrated by him and happy to see him move on. I know we’re in for a drop in quality next year across the board and many of you will say ‘be careful what you wish for’… but I’d rather someone with shit end product who can beat a man versus watching Harvey and his one brain cell get dispossessed again and again in return for all the goal involvements. There, I said it.

That player was Lloyd Dyer - until he found the end product too in his final season for us.

It was a pretty wild glow-up the moment he found his scoring boots. Still a huge 'what if' had he stayed on an extra year with us in the Prem.

• Like 1

Barnes is most definitely a Premier League quality player. His output is very good and the quality of some of his play, especially his goals, is outrageous at times.

My one gripe with him is how one-dimensional he can be at times. When he's not in a game, it can look like he isn't good enough. And my guess is that he hasn't had that coached out of him at a younger age.

With Rodgers' reputation as a coach,  I'm surprised he never managed to coach more versatility into Barnes. But my guess is that Rodgers probably only expected to be with us for a couple of seasons and then he'd get his chance at a more 'elite' club.

Based on nothing but how Guardiola coaches his sides, and how he has managed players like Grealish, Ake, Stones, Foden, etc., I hope that if by some miracle Barnes stays with us, Maresca can help Barnes become a more rounded player with more up his sleeve than what he currently offers (which is still excellent, but he does probably need more strings to his bow).

We may never get to see it, but if he stays, it could be the making of him, which could stand us and him in good stead if we can return to the Prem at the first try.

23 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

That’s what we all said about Youri. That didn’t go too well. 

Also that was with Rodgers as manager, I doubt Barnes would get the same treatment under Enzo.. he would be on the bench or in the second team.. it won't come to that but still only if we need the money does Barnes go imo.. and I don't think we are that skint we could knock 30m off the wage bill by getting rid of other players

It makes sense to sell Barnes now while he still has good value. We need to buy probably 8 to 10 players & Barnes money will certainly help.

Keeping players who don't want to be here wont help the club.

If he wants to stay great keep him and press on, he would be excellent in the Championship, if he wants to leave, sell him, no point keeping someone who doesn't really want to be here.

Yes he is under contract but we have seen what happens when contracts are run down.

I Hope he wants to stay, and we keep him, but wont be bothered if he wants to go, let him.

1 hour ago, Walkerfox said:

That’s what we all said about Youri. That didn’t go too well. 

Youri was into his final year of his contract last season, Barnes still has two years left so they aren't comparable. Make him stay and get us back up.