Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Baldness/Hairloss

I absolutely dread the day I start losing my hair.

I went grey at a very young age, it runs in the family, but thankfully, so does a full head of hair.

Quite happy being a silver fox...imagine George Clooney but better looking.

I'd look horrendous bald, just can't imagine it.

But then again, I couldn't imagine @UpTheLeagueFox with hair. 

Tell a lie, I've seen pics of him in his 20's with a barnet and losing his hair did him a favour lol

It suits some people, Geoff definitely being one of them.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I went grey at a very young age, it runs in the family, but thankfully, so does a full head of hair.

Tell a lie, I've seen pics of him in his 20's with a barnet and losing his hair did him a favour lol

I have the brown and silver balding shaved head look with a nice partial silver trimmed beard.

George Clooney has nothing on me, i know i am better looking lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

I have the brown and silver balding shaved head look with a nice partial silver trimmed beard.

George Clooney has nothing on me, i know i am better looking lol. 

Alright, this isn't a dating site, but you've piqued my interest lol

Grey is quite unfortunate, but I'm lucky mine is very light and silvery.

I refer to it as 'platinum highlights' lol

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Alright, this isn't a dating site, but you've piqued my interest lol

Grey is quite unfortunate, but I'm lucky mine is very light and silvery.

I refer to it as 'platinum highlights' lol

I am not shredded or anything but confident in my looks and abilities lol

Platinum highlights  lol.

You know what makes 0 sense to me, those morons who colour their hair silver/grey. 

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I shave my head bald because I hate the grey hairs. Although my beard is greyish and that doesn’t bother me at all.

17 hours ago, Milo said:

Is that because of the number of the number of grafts that you had?

Who decides on how many are needed - is it recommended to you what you'd need, does it depend on where on your head the grafts are required or is decided by cost, etc? 

Correct. The number of grafts was determined in a consultation. I had it done in London and surgeons over here are generally far more conservative than they would be in Turkey for example. I also had a thinning crown but because of my age (I was 25 at the time) they were only willing to use enough of the donor area to address the hairline, where there is also a much higher success rate. My midscalp has thinned substantially since and I am going back to address that. 

• Like 1

My hair has always been short, always had it cut on 3/4, but in the last couple of years have gone down to 2,1 and now nothing on the clippers. Every couple of weeks as it starts to look a bit wispy at the front.

Still one of those people who has quite healthy hair round the back and side, but on top it's just fizzling away. Actually quite like my hair when it's been freshly clipped, though absolutely need facial hair to go with it.

I'm going white rather than grey, too, few stray white ones in my beard and a couple of whites in the side of my head. That definitely sped up the process!

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Correct. The number of grafts was determined in a consultation. I had it done in London and surgeons over here are generally far more conservative than they would be in Turkey for example. I also had a thinning crown but because of my age (I was 25 at the time) they were only willing to use enough of the donor area to address the hairline, where there is also a much higher success rate. My midscalp has thinned substantially since and I am going back to address that. 

I’ve been looking at this recently. Still not decided if it’s for me or not.

Widows peak doesn’t bother me much but the crown does and it seems like those don’t take as well.

My concern is that I get the crown and front patched in, then the rest starts to go and I don’t go for another and end up with a big friar tuck circle on my bonce 😂

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Good topic. Booked my FUT for mid December in Birmingham. Was going to go turkey but then thought I’d take the safer option and do it here. Will be annoyed if we draw an Istanbul team in the next round (fingers crossed) of the europa though 

In all seriousness, what made you pick FUT over FUE? I’d rather go to Afghanistan than Birmingham 😂😂

Edited by phoneticerror

9 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What is the difference between the two?

FUT is where they take a strip of hair from the back at once and put it on the bald area. FUE takes individual follicles randomly with like a little robot thing and they extract them in an even way over a wider on the back area and then re-plant them one by one into new perfectly made incisions on the bald scalp area. FUE is the most popular at the moment due to no scarring at the back of the scalp.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

FUT is where they take a strip of hair from the back at once and put it on the bald area. FUE takes individual follicles randomly with like a little robot thing and they extract them in an even way over a wider on the back area and then re-plant them one by one into new perfectly made incisions on the bald scalp area. FUE is the most popular at the moment due to no scarring at the back of the scalp.

Out of interest, how much do these sort of things cost?

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Out of interest, how much do these sort of things cost?

From the basic research I did, it varies from place to place. Some can get a fair amount done in Turkey for about £2000-3000 including flights and accommodation. I wouldn’t mind going to Turkey for it, it’s just the flight home with a scabby head and not being able to wear a hat - would feel a bit of a tit.

Here, prices seem to start around £2500 for 1500 grafts I think it was and then it goes up for every additional 1000 you need. I think one of the places in Leicester does it for £2.50 per individual graft. Might give them a call and get £50 worth every month 😂😂

I’ve also seen some places do it for a flat £3500 whatever amount you need, but that just screams cowboys to me.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You’ve got me worried now!! 

LOL I’m only joking - bloody hate Birmingham that’s all.

I was more curious in your decision of FUT vs FUE as I’ve been weighing those up - still on the fence about whether to do it. Which place in Brum did you choose? I was looking at IK Clinic in Leicester but the fact that they do it without making patients shave their head put me off. Seems like an odd practice that, with a higher chance of post op infection.

Edited by phoneticerror

2 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

LOL I’m only joking - bloody hate Birmingham that’s all.

I was more curious in your decision of FUT vs FUE as I’ve been weighing those up - still on the fence about whether to do it. Which place in Brum did you choose? I was looking at IK Clinic in Leicester but the fact that they do it without making patients shave their head put me off. Seems like an odd practice that, with a higher chance of post op infection.

Had a consultation and the docs suggested fut over fue for me. I’ve read up about the two to an extent and just trusted the docs. It’s a clinic in Solihull, a bit more expensive than other quotes I got but there was no pressure whatsoever on booking, they had limited booking dates, and they answered all my questions without asking whether I was going to book or not which was reassuring. Also good reviews. Can’t remember the name offhand but can DM if necessary later on 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 18:42, Paninistickers said:

I see this post was way back when in 2019? 

...I've gotta ask, how's the shag count gone since? Has the bald look maintained its effect on women? (or men, I guess,....there's no suggestion whether you or gay or straight)

Despite the pandemic I've still had more luck than any time prior to going full shaven on top (a low bar tbf lol) so make of that what you will.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 13:43, Footballwipe said:

My hair has always been short, always had it cut on 3/4, but in the last couple of years have gone down to 2,1 and now nothing on the clippers. Every couple of weeks as it starts to look a bit wispy at the front.

Still one of those people who has quite healthy hair round the back and side, but on top it's just fizzling away. Actually quite like my hair when it's been freshly clipped, though absolutely need facial hair to go with it.

I'm going white rather than grey, too, few stray white ones in my beard and a couple of whites in the side of my head. That definitely sped up the process!

this sounds like my own experience with hair thinning progression. I don't like to let it get too long as I am bothered that people might suspect there is a bit of a combover or rather a "rearrangement"  going on so I  keep it short. I am also fearful of getting one of those weird "islands" in the front like Steve McLaren where it looks as if the tide went out leaving that little patch of hair lol

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

this sounds like my own experience with hair thinning progression. I don't like to let it get too long as I am bothered that people might suspect there is a bit of a combover or rather a "rearrangement"  going on so I  keep it short. I am also fearful of getting one of those weird "islands" in the front like Steve McLaren where it looks as if the tide went out leaving that little patch of hair lol

That little island is how I worry I’ll end up looking eventually if I get a transplant. I’ll end up continuing to go bald and have a fringe island that’ll look more like the Great Wall of China 😂