Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

On 09/09/2019 at 20:07, Free Falling Foxes said:

This'll go down well....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49635176

I hope it happens though, there are some incredibly selfish barstewards out there when it comes to pavement parking.

On 09/09/2019 at 20:11, z-layrex said:

Eh, we have to face the reality that we live in a very old country, some streets are just so narrow if people didn't pavement park it'd be hell to get down in a car.

From my experience, living in a very old country is one thing, creating additional or alternative parking spaces the other.

People parking on the sidewalk in the UK endangers pretty much everyone - pedestrians, cyclists, other drivers, public transportation (buses).

If the town centres were either completely car-free or had designated parking spots alongside the main road(s) or something such as parking centres, things would be a bit more practical.

Sidewalk parking is also a major influence for delays in public transportation.

Edited by MC Prussian

Parking on the pavement is sheer pig ignorance. In the village where I live outside the school & the chippy people regularly park half on the path half on the road on double yellows & I'm sure this is the case everywhere & not a traffic warden in sight. The disabled & Mum's with pushchairs regularly have to use the busy road just to get by.

More traffic wardens would not only ease the problem but also bring in revenue for our cash strapped councils.

A quote from Michio Kaku that I believe belongs here rather than the science thread.

"So whenever I open the newspaper every headline I see in the newspaper points to the birth pangs of a type one civilization information.

However, every time I open the newspaper I also see the opposite trend as well. What is terrorism? Terrorism in some sense is a reaction against the creation of a type one civilization. Now most terrorists cannot articulate this. They don’t even know what the hell I’m talking about, but what they’re reacting to is not modernism.

What they’re reacting to is the fact that we’re headed toward a multicultural tolerant scientific society and that is what they don’t want.

They don’t want science. They want a theocracy. They don’t want multiculturalism. They want monoculturalism.

So instinctively they don’t like the march toward a type one civilization. Now which tendency will win? I don’t know, but I hope that we emerge as a type one civilization."

When Dr Kaku is referring to "terrorists" here he could be referring to practically any skin colour or ideological type, really, so long as they promote separatism.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

You know when you hit Google and it automatically lists 5 things that are trending? I swear of late I keep seeing "asteroids Earth" in there. 

Just wondering if I should be concerned. Might at least get myself a nice helmet, just to be safe.

Lol I've seen those too.  Buy a helmet, arent canucks born with them?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49708721

Kauvanagh having to answer some more questions.

Funny thing is that he's actually gotten in the way of what those who voted him onto the panel wanted him to do (start the process to overturn Roe v Wade) three times already, so I'm surprised that the Repubs are actually defending him as vociferously as they are.

On 14/09/2019 at 03:47, leicsmac said:

A quote from Michio Kaku that I believe belongs here rather than the science thread.

"So whenever I open the newspaper every headline I see in the newspaper points to the birth pangs of a type one civilization information.

However, every time I open the newspaper I also see the opposite trend as well. What is terrorism? Terrorism in some sense is a reaction against the creation of a type one civilization. Now most terrorists cannot articulate this. They don’t even know what the hell I’m talking about, but what they’re reacting to is not modernism.

What they’re reacting to is the fact that we’re headed toward a multicultural tolerant scientific society and that is what they don’t want.

They don’t want science. They want a theocracy. They don’t want multiculturalism. They want monoculturalism.

So instinctively they don’t like the march toward a type one civilization. Now which tendency will win? I don’t know, but I hope that we emerge as a type one civilization."

When Dr Kaku is referring to "terrorists" here he could be referring to practically any skin colour or ideological type, really, so long as they promote separatism.

"Terrorism" to me implies the use of violence outside of the legal realms of state power - mostly over a prolonged period of time. Separatism may not do that, as it's either done peacefully or reverts to violence for a shorter period of time.

Also depends on what you define "separatism" as. Political, geographical (these two are often intertwined) or ideological/religious?

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

"Terrorism" to me implies the use of violence outside of the legal realms of state power - mostly over a prolonged period of time. Separatism may not do that, as it's either done peacefully or reverts to violence for a shorter period of time.

Also depends on what you define "separatism" as. Political, geographical (these two are often intertwined) or ideological/religious?

Actually, you're right, separatism is probably the wrong word to use here. "Monocultural supremacy" is a better term, I think, so substitute that in.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Actually, you're right, separatism is probably the wrong word to use here. "Monocultural supremacy" is a better term, I think, so substitute that in.

That may be, but it's not always about supremacy, I guess.

Religious zealots often pursue violent actions, thinking they are simply in the right (misguided by their prophets or gods), chasing after the "infidels", and do not necessarily see themselves as supreme to others (be it on a religious or national level).

"Religion" doesn't always equal "culture" - although you could say one was derived from the other, depending on your (political) viewpoint.

Elaborate on "monocultural supremacy" - any present-day examples?

1 hour ago, bovril said:

What's that Skip? 16 barrels of bull spunk have exploded?

https://www.newsweek.com/fire-bull-semen-explosion-farm-australia-1459673

That's nothing. 160 barrels of bull shit explode on this forum every day....

Meanwhile, the forces of random insemination lead to a proliferation of kangacows in Aus & the development of a new organic milkshake industry.

Sorry, Fuchs has hacked my account....and, anyway, I did warn about the barrels of bullshit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

That may be, but it's not always about supremacy, I guess.

Religious zealots often pursue violent actions, thinking they are simply in the right (misguided by their prophets or gods), chasing after the "infidels", and do not necessarily see themselves as supreme to others (be it on a religious or national level).

"Religion" doesn't always equal "culture" - although you could say one was derived from the other, depending on your (political) viewpoint.

Elaborate on "monocultural supremacy" - any present-day examples?

:dunno: it most often is for me - when someone is willing to kill a lot of people for the sake of a position, it seems to stand to reason that they believe that position to be superior to the one of the people they're killing and as such their lives mean less, hence the lack of compunction to kill in the first place.

And totally believing that you are in the right as some religious fundies do, again, seems to heavily imply that they believe themselves superior in terms of belief - if you really believed yourself equal you'd be prepared to at least entertain the idea that you were wrong. Religion doesn't always equal culture at a personal level, but the structures created by a lot of organised religion certainly lend themselves to it, IMO.

As for examples, Wahabism and white supremacy are two examples that immediately come to mind, the Wahabists wanting their global caliphate and the white supremacists wanting their pale ethnostate cleansed of the unclean "hordes" - but I'm sure there are other examples too.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiaWh0dHBzOi8vZWxlY3Rpb24uY3R2bmV3cy5jYS9zb21lLXZvdGVycy1xdWVzdGlvbi13aGV0aGVyLWNhbmFkYS1pcy1yZWFkeS1mb3ItYS1wbS13aXRoLWEtdHVyYmFuLTEuNDU5ODIyN9IBOWh0dHBzOi8vYmV0YS5jdHZuZXdzLmNhL25hdGlvbmFsLzIwMTkvOS8xNy8xXzQ1OTgyMjcuaHRtbA?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

Im ashamed to be Canadian when people think this way in 2019 wow. Im not a turban wearing sikh but this bothers me big time. So would these people rather vote for a guy/girl who doesnt wear a turban but is a tw@t?

Sheesh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiaWh0dHBzOi8vZWxlY3Rpb24uY3R2bmV3cy5jYS9zb21lLXZvdGVycy1xdWVzdGlvbi13aGV0aGVyLWNhbmFkYS1pcy1yZWFkeS1mb3ItYS1wbS13aXRoLWEtdHVyYmFuLTEuNDU5ODIyN9IBOWh0dHBzOi8vYmV0YS5jdHZuZXdzLmNhL25hdGlvbmFsLzIwMTkvOS8xNy8xXzQ1OTgyMjcuaHRtbA?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

Im ashamed to be Canadian when people think this way in 2019 wow. Im not a turban wearing sikh but this bothers me big time. So would these people rather vote for a guy/girl who doesnt wear a turban but is a tw@t?

Sheesh.

I really hope that article doesn't reflect the majority of Canadians. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask that question. 

I hope that's just clickbait by CTV and shame on them if it is.

38 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I really hope that article doesn't reflect the majority of Canadians. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask that question. 

It would be reassuring to know, that urban Vancouverites at the very least, would be inclined towards a different perspective.