Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

Teenager 'blind' from living off crisps and chips
By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online
6 hours ago

Experts are warning about the dangers of "fussy eating" after a 17-year-old suffered irreparable sight loss after living on a diet of chips and crisps.

Eye doctors in Bristol cared for the young man after his vision had deteriorated to the point of blindness.

Since leaving primary school, the teen had been eating only French fries, Pringles and white bread, as well as an occasional slice of ham or a sausage.

Tests revealed he had severe vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49551337

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

Teenager 'blind' from living off crisps and chips
By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online
6 hours ago

Experts are warning about the dangers of "fussy eating" after a 17-year-old suffered irreparable sight loss after living on a diet of chips and crisps.

Eye doctors in Bristol cared for the young man after his vision had deteriorated to the point of blindness.

Since leaving primary school, the teen had been eating only French fries, Pringles and white bread, as well as an occasional slice of ham or a sausage.

Tests revealed he had severe vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49551337

They were talking about this on 5Live this morning, but mentioned that the gentleman in question did have an eating disorder.

I know of people my age who still barely eat any fruit and vegetables and then wonder why they get ill/fatigued a lot. 

3 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

They were talking about this on 5Live this morning, but mentioned that the gentleman in question did have an eating disorder.

I know of people my age who still barely eat any fruit and vegetables and then wonder why they get ill/fatigued a lot. 

I immediately thought of @MattP who claims to have never eaten a vegetable.

I've made reference to this a few times on here, both in the Depression thread and the Diet thread; I am a firm believer that poor diet is responsible for the majority of degenerative and chronic illnesses.

• Like 2

Just now, Buce said:

I immediately thought of @MattP who claims to have never eaten a vegetable.

I've made reference to this a few times on here, both in the Depression thread and the Diet thread; I am a firm believer that poor diet is responsible for the majority of degenerative and chronic illnesses.

Absolutely. I still eat crap from time to time because I'm lazy, but feel so much better mentally and physically when I'm eating well, getting 5-7 fruit and vegetables a day etc. 

I also get ill far less/barely ever (touch wood) since becoming a veggie about 5 years ago. 

I used to be a really fussy eater and effectively lived off chicken, a tiny bit of veg, and some sort of potato based product for most of my teens/childhood and just forced myself to eat foods that I thought I didn't like (mushrooms being a prime example) and now I'm much better, though there are still foods I won't go near because old habits die hard! (I'm looking at you, bananas) 

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Absolutely. I still eat crap from time to time because I'm lazy, but feel so much better mentally and physically when I'm eating well, getting 5-7 fruit and vegetables a day etc. 

I also get ill far less/barely ever (touch wood) since becoming a veggie about 5 years ago. 

I used to be a really fussy eater and effectively lived off chicken, a tiny bit of veg, and some sort of potato based product for most of my teens/childhood and just forced myself to eat foods that I thought I didn't like (mushrooms being a prime example) and now I'm much better, though there are still foods I won't go near because old habits die hard! (I'm looking at you, bananas) 

Shame about the bananas - they really are something that should be in your diet as they are a rich source of B6, manganese and potassium, and have usable amounts of many other minerals. Have you considered 'hiding' them in other foods? My daughter was brought up a vegetarian and, like most kids, was reluctant to eat certain foods which she needed, so I used to hide food by adding it to other stronger tasting foods, and I hid bananas in a chocolate milkshake made with raw cocoa.

Sorry if that sounds patronizing. :ermm:

18 minutes ago, Buce said:

Shame about the bananas - they really are something that should be in your diet as they are a rich source of B6, manganese and potassium, and have usable amounts of many other minerals. Have you considered 'hiding' them in other foods? My daughter was brought up a vegetarian and, like most kids, was reluctant to eat certain foods which she needed, so I used to hide food by adding it to other stronger tasting foods, and I hid bananas in a chocolate milkshake made with raw cocoa.

Sorry if that sounds patronizing. :ermm:

Yeah, as a runner I should eat them in the bucket load but I just can't stand them. My wife has made me smoothies before and not told me that there's bananas in them, but I turn into the Sherlock of bananas and immediately detect them even If I don't want to.

I'll try something like cocoa to overpower it though, cheers! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah, as a runner I should eat them in the bucket load but I just can't stand them. My wife has made me smoothies before and not told me that there's bananas in them, but I turn into the Sherlock of bananas and immediately detect them even If I don't want to.

I'll try something like cocoa to overpower it though, cheers! 

Another option is to eat plantain (though they need to be cooked) - they are similar to bananas nutritionally (slightly less potassium but higher Vit C and Vit A) but taste nothing like them. If you still have an issue with their taste you can put them in a curry. I can't remember where you live but Oadby Asda stock them now, otherwise you'll find them at Caribbean grocery stores and on Leicester market.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

It'll end up at 100 billion and then they'll decide it's not worth building.

It was never costed properly in the first place which is a shame, but it should absolutely go ahead if you ask me.  We're still entirely dependant on victorian rail infrastructure that is operating WAY beyond what it was ever designed for.  Also, if you can it now, there has been literally billions wasted in preparatory works that will have been a waste or time.

Surely if you're going to discuss the actual cost of HS2, then you need to factor in all of the income that the government is going to get back as a direct result - i mean, how much is it going to cost when you factor in that they will get back:

• Income Tax and NI from EVERY employee working on it
  • Corporation Tax from all of the main contractors/subcontractors involved, not to mention consultants
  • Decrease in unemployment
  • increase in skilled workforce

Not to mention that the government will own a tangible asset at the end that will be leased out and can (hopefully) begin paying back the investment.

Seems like a much better investment that yet another pension increase for OAP's or corporation tax breaks for Amazon/facebook et al. 

6 hours ago, David Guiza said:

On the other hand, a purely meat-based diet has allegedly helped some people with skin irritations, auto-immune diseases, weight problems, fatigue, depression and sleeping disorders:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

On the other hand, a purely meat-based diet has allegedly helped some people with skin irritations, auto-immune diseases, weight problems, fatigue, depression and sleeping disorders:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

I'm not sure that's going to catch on:-

I ran this by some experts, just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything that might suggest a beef-salt diet is potentially something other than a bad idea. I learned that it was worse than I thought.

“Physiologically, it would just be an immensely bad idea,” Jack Gilbert, the faculty director at the University of Chicago’s Microbiome Center and a professor of surgery, told me during a recent visit to his lab. “A terribly, terribly bad idea.”

Gilbert has done extensive research on how the trillions of microbes in our guts digest food, and the look on his face when I told him about the all-beef diet was unamused. He began rattling off the expected ramifications: “Your body would start to have severe dysregulation, within six months, of the majority of the processes that deal with metabolism; you would have no short-chain fatty acids in your cells; most of the by-products of gastrointestinal polysaccharide fermentation would shut down, so you wouldn’t be able to regulate your hormone levels; you’d enter into cardiac issues due to alterations in cell receptors; your microbiota would just be devastated.”

Doesn't sound like much fun when you come to break the 'cleanse' either!

“Well, I have a negative story,” said Peterson. “Both Mikhaila and I noticed that when we restricted our diet and then ate something we weren’t supposed to, the reaction was absolutely catastrophic.” He gives the example of having had some apple cider and subsequently being incapacitated for a month by what he believes was an inflammatory response.

“You were done for a month?”

“Oh yeah, it took me out for a month. It was awful ...”

“Apple cider? What was it doing to you?”

“It produced an overwhelming sense of impending doom. I seriously mean overwhelming. There’s no way I could’ve lived like that. But see, Mikhaila knew by then that it would probably only last a month.”

“A month? From ****ing cider?”

“I didn’t sleep that month for 25 days. I didn’t sleep at all for 25 days.”

“What? How is that possible?”

“I’ll tell you how it’s possible: You lay in bed frozen in something approximating terror for eight hours. And then you get up.”

The longest recorded stretch of sleeplessness in a human is 11 days, witnessed by a Stanford research team.

It's also incredibly unsustainable too. 

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I'm not sure that's going to catch on:-

Doesn't sound like much fun when you come to break the 'cleanse' either!

It's also incredibly unsustainable too. 

Not saying it's for everyone, because everyone reacts differently to a diet.

Just that it does work for some.

Personally, I couldn't stand just living on crisps or chips or meat alone. I need diversity on my plate. Meat is mostly reserved for special occasions, holidays, the weekend.

• Like 1