Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Some of these age limits suggested here would have stopped or cut short the leadership of Clement Attlee, Andrew Jackson, Winston Churchill, Nelson Mandela, Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, George Washington and Benjamin Disraeli. If anything we should be wondering why we've seemingly lost so many old, wise folk from political discourse and left people opting for politicians like Trudeau or Boris.

There should never be an age limit to standing for office, it's up to the public to decide whether you are fit for the job or not.

And that's a fair counterargument.

47 minutes ago, MattP said:

Some of these age limits suggested here would have stopped or cut short the leadership of Clement Attlee, Andrew Jackson, Winston Churchill, Nelson Mandela, Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, George Washington and Benjamin Disraeli. If anything we should be wondering why we've seemingly lost so many old, wise folk from political discourse and left people opting for politicians like Trudeau or Boris.

There should never be an age limit to standing for office, it's up to the public to decide whether you are fit for the job or not.

Tbf I should point out my answer was tongue in cheek. 

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I saw that link heading - "Phil Collins falls onstage not dead yet" - and thought it was tasteless even by The Sun's standards.....then I realised "Not Dead Yet" is the title of his tour.... lol

• Haha 1

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-03/some-guys-have-all-the-luck-as-sir-rod-stewart-turns-up-to-wedding-that-nearly-didn-t-happen/

If Rod Stewart turned up at my wedding I'd tell him to shut the hell up or sod off.

Though I guess if I were the kind of person to go for a Las Vegas wedding, I'd probably lap it up.

14 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

After days of Trump calling the Ukraine allegations fake news, today he's admitted he did ask them.  How bizarre is it that we have some people in this country that have spent years arguing that there's nothing wrong with him.

Really, who’s said there’s nothing wrong with him?? 

22 hours ago, MattP said:

The age limit was in relation to people running for office, not reigning US presidents. Most of the examples you provide took office before reaching 70.

Reagan, elected at 69, sworn in shortly before his 70th birthday, quit at age 78 and a few years later started suffering from Alzheimer's.

Attlee was first Prime Minister at age 62 and lasted six years, until he was 68. In the case of Churchill, he started at age 65, Disraeli at age 64.

Dwight Eisenhower was 62 when he was elected US president, Washington 57.

I mean, hardly anyone would argue that these people weren't elected at the right time, with the right amount of experience on their shoulders.

Never in US history has a president been elected who was older than 70 - except for Donald Trump.

Surely you can see that older age results in people more prone to injury and illness, as well as death? What Sanders and Biden are displaying at times during the current lead-up to next year's election is horrifying, have you seen some of the debates? I always get the impression that they could collapse at any given moment.

A 77- or 78-year old potentially taking office is a scary thought, no matter how competent they appear to be on paper, and it should be - not just for the US. It would be outright suicide, and depending on the choice of vice president, a disaster.

Ideally, you'd want somebody in between 45 and 65, ideal combination of experience and joviality/dynamism/drive. If medical checks reveal there's nothing wrong with them as some might approach their 70ies, I have no issues with that. But not with first termers, unless they really have their act together.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Clarity and accuracy of communication is important, so perhaps a better way to frame it is that "there are some people in the UK willing to at least *often* overlook Trump's many questionable actions because...reasons".

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Milo said:

Nobody really. I've certainly not met anyone who thinks he's totally without fault.

Still couldn't see myself voting for him (unless the Dems chose Warren or Sanders) but I'm still glad he beat Clinton, think the US and Russia would be at war by now if he hasn't. 

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-03/some-guys-have-all-the-luck-as-sir-rod-stewart-turns-up-to-wedding-that-nearly-didn-t-happen/

If Rod Stewart turned up at my wedding I'd tell him to shut the hell up or sod off.

Though I guess if I were the kind of person to go for a Las Vegas wedding, I'd probably lap it up.

I'd have said, thanks for coming, Rod, but I really wanted David Essex

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Has one had a higher BMI than the fittest president to have ever held office?

I think some presidents from the 19th century could challenge him for that title.

Although the concept of BMI did not exist back then, to be fair.

Guest MattP
28 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49930863

The latest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49901452

I may have asked this question before...but do accusations of hypocrisy on this topic, though accurate, do anything to help the actual situation or do they just score political points?

Nothing to help at all - but it's right it's spoken about as hypocrisy needs to be called out.

Its important because it shows people like him don't really give that much of a shit about the environment or climate change, certainly not if it interrupts their own ambitions. 

I get the feeling people like him, Prince Harry etc do want to save the planet - just only if it's others and not themselves making the sacrifice.

43 minutes ago, MattP said:

Nothing to help at all - but it's right it's spoken about as hypocrisy needs to be called out.

Its important because it shows people like him don't really give that much of a shit about the environment or climate change, certainly not if it interrupts their own ambitions. 

I get the feeling people like him, Prince Harry etc do want to save the planet - just only if it's others and not themselves making the sacrifice.

Someone needs to step up genuinely, yes - I can't believe that the status quo has that much inertia among the powerful that someone cannot set an example to follow or shake governments up into taking more action on the matter.

43 minutes ago, MattP said:

On that subject though lol

I would say alt-right plant because it seems too pat but quite frankly I wouldn't be in any way certain about that.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I would say alt-right plant because it seems too pat but quite frankly I wouldn't be in any way certain about that.

I'd say borderline or actual mental health problem (the constituent, not AOC :rolleyes:).

She probably needs help and sympathy.

22 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd say borderline or actual mental health problem (the constituent, not AOC :rolleyes:).

She probably needs help and sympathy.

One or the other, most likely, yes.

FWIW on related topics I'm still not making any kind of prediction about how the latest things Stateside are going to play out, but it's worth watching closely.

• Thanks 1

Guest MattP
39 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49919125

Da ****? Wales going all trumpet? We're gonna give everyone a unicorn and the UK will pay for it? Wtf.

Well I suppose if you are against hard borders in Europe the best way to deal with that is to literally put a hard border between yourself and not only Europe but also your biggest trade partner who then controls your access to Europe lol