Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Mutual consent = ‘You’re shit at your job and you’re sacked, but to make you not look an even bigger pillock, we’ll say it was mutual.’ 

A bit like ‘mutually’ ending a relationship usually results in one person crying non stop for months, sitting in your pants and wanking into an empty pot noodle cup…

I always imagine mutual consent goes something like this.

pgmol: mason you shit twat you’re sacked.

mason: no, no, no, you ****s you can’t sack me I quit

pgmol: great, we don’t have to pay you off then you **** 

mason: oh bollocks

pgmol: now get out, and leave your cards

mason: no, please no, not the cards

pgmol: on the table please, now piss off

• Haha 2

On 14/02/2023 at 06:18, FosseSpark said:

I dont think a foot in mid air can be considered offside if the foot thats grounded is a yard onside. Thats a farce. 

I agree it is inconsistent with the fact your head can be off when your legs are onside though.

My view is you should only be able to be 'stood' offside. If youre stood onside but are diving or moving in the right direction it means youve outwitted the opponent, not that youve gained an advantage by being stood nearer to the goal than them. The rule was invented to stop people standing nearer to the goal than the defenders and so any other body part or direction you are leaning in shouldnt come in to it i dont think..

Unless its chilwell in the cup final

This is an interesting view and it appeals to my gut feeling of why offside should be measured from the middle of the body. I am not sure you measure from the “foot” as that will create problems - eg. if you are jumping in the air. I think measuring from the middle of the body makes better sense as it conforms more to the original intention of the offside rule. If you are simply reacting quicker and have a foot further out it is really hard to say that is offside according to the original intention or the naked eye. If you are a ref, you would normally look at the body and see/sense as if the body is ahead or not and not flinging body parts. In any event, what happened with the benefit of the doubt given to the attacker?? The Barnes offside was really a farce. He was onside anyway as the lines did not appear to be correctly drawn, and in any even surely it was too close to call and the benefit of the doubt should have been given to the attacker.

Edited by Tom12345

13 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

fixed it for you :)

And that will never happen IMO, nor do I think it should while measures exist to reduce (but not eliminate) those errors.

Apologies for repeating myself but: human error in terms of officiating isn't some foible that somehow makes the game more charming. It's a weakness that should be mitigated wherever possible.

10 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Mutual consent = ‘You’re shit at your job and you’re sacked, but to make you not look an even bigger pillock, we’ll say it was mutual.’ 

A bit like ‘mutually’ ending a relationship usually results in one person crying non stop for months, sitting in your pants and wanking into an empty pot noodle cup…

I like to keep the noodles in the cup, creates a kind of crunchy sensation.

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And that will never happen IMO, nor do I think it should while measures exist to reduce (but not eliminate) those errors.

Apologies for repeating myself but: human error in terms of officiating isn't some foible that somehow makes the game more charming. It's a weakness that should be mitigated wherever possible.

However, it is like the road toll. Any death is unacceptable, so, we just need to drop the speed limits to reduce death.

It wont remove all the deaths, but it will reduce the number... on the other hand, you will be banned from driving at more than 25 MPH and the car becomes pointless (this obviously has other benefits).

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

However, it is like the road toll. Any death is unacceptable, so, we just need to drop the speed limits to reduce death.

It wont remove all the deaths, but it will reduce the number... on the other hand, you will be banned from driving at more than 25 MPH and the car becomes pointless (this obviously has other benefits).

Fair analogy.

I don't see the corollary consequences of VAR being as bad as that example though. But again, evidently other folks think differently.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Fair analogy.

I don't see the corollary consequences of VAR being as bad as that example though. But again, evidently other folks think differently.

Where do you draw the line (no pun intended) as to when to involve VAR... a trip on the halfway line is ignored, but it leads, 1 minute later, to a goal... 2 minutes later...3 minutes later

The tripped player is injured and has to be replaced by a subpar substitute... does VAR  punish the tripper?

The tripped player is angry after the unpunished foul as he knows that VAR couldve shown it... so he fouls the opponent and gets sent off

We cannot get perfection, if we accept VAR can make mistakes, cant we accept the referee can make mistakes?

If we can introduce infallible decisions eg goal line tech, then all good, but all we are doing now is transferring the errors and reducing the games enjoyment.

Just now, ozleicester said:

Where do you draw the line (no pun intended) as to when to involve VAR... a trip on the halfway line is ignored, but it leads, 1 minute later, to a goal... 2 minutes later...3 minutes later

The tripped player is injured and has to be replaced by a subpar substitute... does VAR  punish the tripper?

The tripped player is angry after the unpunished foul as he knows that VAR couldve shown it... so he fouls the opponent and gets sent off

We cannot get perfection, if we accept VAR can make mistakes, cant we accept the referee can make mistakes?

If we can introduce infallible decisions eg goal line tech, then all good, but all we are doing now is transferring the errors and reducing the games enjoyment.

It's a matter of degrees. VAR is not infallible in the same way as goal-line tech, but at the same time it still can (and does) reduce errors. Numerous examples of this exist.

Of course, it comes down to whether one thinks that reduction in errors is worth the ethereal cost concerning the flow of the game and other factors. I think (and as the tech gets better I'll continue to do so) that it is, but I can understand why someone wouldn't.

• Like 1

The game evolved on the basis that the the referees decision was final

we are messing about with that and I don’t believe it’s worth it apart from auto offsides (with a 10 cms margin of error for the striker), goal line tech and ridiculous missed calls like Henry’s handball or Jonsohn’s dive 

the rest of it is down to the on field ref and you just suck it up like you used to. 

they leave completely unjust laws like a slip leading to the double hit of a penalty on the books and spend their all their time looking at their navals.

7 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

This is an interesting view and it appeals to my gut feeling of why offside should be measured from the middle of the body. I am not sure you measure from the “foot” as that will create problems - eg. if you are jumping in the air. I think measuring from the middle of the body makes better sense as it conforms more to the original intention of the offside rule. If you are simply reacting quicker and have a foot further out it is really hard to say that is offside according to the original intention or the naked eye. If you are a ref, you would normally look at the body and see/sense as if the body is ahead or not and not flinging body parts. In any event, what happened with the benefit of the doubt given to the attacker?? The Barnes offside was really a farce. He was onside anyway as the lines did not appear to be correctly drawn, and in any even surely it was too close to call and the benefit of the doubt should have been given to the attacker.

It won’t matter soon, VAR offsides will be automated. This is already being trialled at top leagues in Europe. Mason’s mistake will not be possible. 

16 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Is the guy who drew the wrong lines in the Palace v Brighton game going to be sacked too?

Or has Mason gone because the decision was against one of the big boys and he isn't that young anyway?

This was the second time Mason was dropped from fixtures this season after he ruled out Newcastle’s goal against palace 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12690580/ref-watch-newcastle-should-have-had-a-penalty

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

This was the second time Mason was dropped from fixtures this season after he ruled out Newcastle’s goal against palace 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12690580/ref-watch-newcastle-should-have-had-a-penalty

Yes I remember that - another day where there were a few contentious decisions made by VAR.

Maybe there is a pattern there if it has been the same officials on such weekend hence Mason getting the can.

6 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Nice to see a bit more accountability. There was none at all when it was under Mike Riley.

True but then not everyone will be sacked for making an error so some might did Mason have to leave due to the high profile nature of the decision and team it affected?