Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Carabo Cup - Luton Vs Leicester

Guest bss9401
2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Ah, Kenilworth Road, the first football ground I ever went to in 1983. I doubt it's changed much since....

I don't think that it's changed much since 1883.

Loath this competition but sort of admired Brendan's decision and balls to put out what ostensibly was a full strength squad. Saying that, we were very fortunate to escape injuries - particularly given Matt Ritchie's recklessness which Steve Bruce seems utterly oblivious of in his outrage against Hamza - (great tackle lad). Toon have lost Willems and Krafth for a fixture against a team that they really need to be taking points off, whilst Morgan, who was superb, could be an issue for us. Enter "Bench-ovich" to take his seat next Saturday? 

I do agree that larger teams should respect these competitions, but would much rather give the unfinished business of the FA Cup our priority (particularly after throwing it away last year) and give Ward, Justin, Gray, Albrighton, Mendy...even Nacho, a start in the League Cup. Add to that Perez, who could be on his way to becoming our most expensive squad player. 

17 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Ah, Kenilworth Road, the first football ground I ever went to in 1983. I doubt it's changed much since....

There cant be many worse grounds amongst sides who have played in the top division  and would probablly be in the worst 6 if all league sides were included

Wow - has it still got a plastic pitch then???

(I know the plastic pitch was installed in 1985, but why ruin a good story...)

18 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Wow - has it still got a plastic pitch then???

(I know the plastic pitch was installed in 1985, but why ruin a good story...)

I went to watch Luton quite a bit in the 80's. My uncle was the one who introduced me to football since no one else in my family was a fan as such. Although I "supported" Leicester, my uncle lived in and supported The Hatters so I used to get on the National Express (was around 13 at the time) at St Margarets and he'd pick me up from Luton Airport and we'd go and watch the match on a Saturday. 

The plastic pitch was crap - but a big home advantage for Luton. Remember watching them play Spurs in 1987 - Pleat had left Luton for Spurs, as had Mitchell Thomas and they were both subjected to ferocious abuse - I think I heard every single swear word in the English language that afternoon. They dicked Spurs mainly due to the dodgy bounce off the pitch.

It was an absolute shite hole and there was lots of aggro outside the ground. But it was my introduction to the matchday experience, and I loved it.

Filbert Street was luxurious by comparision!

EDIT : Spurs were well beaten that day, on their way to having their usual "Spursy" season - finished 3rd in the league, got knocked out the League Cup by Arsenal in the semi final, and lost in the FA Cup Final to Coventry. But they did have the top scorer in the league (Clive Allen), so they were the rightful champions after all!

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Haha 2