Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

Not going to happen, even the worst case scenarios don't predict that, rather a slight drop in GDP GROWTH:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1168964684764131328.html

The UK has nothing to fear from a No Deal Brexit, sure a deal would be preferable.  But it will be FAR from the war, famine and pestilence some have been screaming from the rooftops.

Small price to pay for us to stay out of Guy Verhofstadt's dream of empire IMO.

I would say a 6 percent drop in house prices, a freeze on interest rates and a predicted increase in unemployment is a little more than a slight drop in GDP. 

EU isn't an empire or a dream of one for goodness sake. Even the hardest BREXIT supporters can't surely buy into that trash!? 

In times of possible war and potential worldwide financial crashes. Together is better. Freedom of movement is better and cheaper taxes is better. Not mentioning keeping trade deals, food suppliers and retaining our industrial presence. BREXIT being a word has already lost us several manufacturing contracts, causing closures, and therefore redundancies. 

Look at it this way. How does the EU effect you right now? Personally maybe not much, but as a country we heavily benefit for various reasons 

Will we have a better way of living after we leave? No. In fact life will be a lot harder. 

So what do you personally gain from BREXIT? Nothing? So why have a harder life? 

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

image.thumb.png.028d5f2d8f7a6b58d020f2948f288a2e.png

This became legally binding on the 29th of March 2017 when MP's voted to invoke Article 50.

When you say we don't actually have to implement the result as it was just "advisory" I wonder what you'd have been arguing if remain had won.  In fact imagine remain had won but we had a 75% majority of MP's who supported Brexit (as opposed to the 75% who supported remain now) and decided to take us out regardless.  I assume you wouldn't have any complaints about that?

This argument is irritating. There was no majority. A referendum, no matter what is said on the propoganda released, is only a poll of opinion. It is not a form of elective vote therefore there is no lawful obligation to follow it through. 

If it were an elective vote. The split wouldn't have been clear enough to call a majority and the vote would have been thrown out anyway. 

Remainers are complaining because we are taking the hard evidence and facts laid out by advisors from several different areas of discipline who are all claiming BREXIT to be poor for their area. Banks, manufacturers, trade, fuel etc. We are considering the personal effects BREXIT will have on our families and our work places. 

I don't care about this percentage of voters said this, or that 75 percent of mps want this. I don't care about whether or not we are sovereign, I have no care for blue passports and have no problem with our current immigration policies.

What I do care about is making life as easy as possible for me, my family and future generations. I can tell you now, BREXIT will make things a darn site harder than it already is! Not better! 

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

image.thumb.png.028d5f2d8f7a6b58d020f2948f288a2e.png

This became legally binding on the 29th of March 2017 when MP's voted to invoke Article 50.

When you say we don't actually have to implement the result as it was just "advisory" I wonder what you'd have been arguing if remain had won.  In fact imagine remain had won but we had a 75% majority of MP's who supported Brexit (as opposed to the 75% who supported remain now) and decided to take us out regardless.  I assume you wouldn't have any complaints about that?

Has to be pointed out that the key phrase highlighted above can only refer to the government at the time. No decision by one government can bind a future government. The government that made the promise highlighted was effectively swept away when May lost her overall majority and the current parliament, dysfunctional as it is, appears to be a reasonable reflection of opinion in the country at large (split fairly evenly in/out, no majority for no-deal).

None of the parties campaigned during the election explicitly endorsing no-deal other than the Tories throw away negotiating line of “no deal is better than a bad deal”. Labour was (and still is) explicitly soft Brexit. What has changed apart from discovery of a whole mess of problems associated with any form of Brexit, is that the Tory party has lurched to the right, and the ERG tail is now wagging the dog.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

I’m a conservative. Have been since I could vote 20 years ago. 

No way I’d vote for that clown Boris.

I didn’t vote in the partly election as I didn’t see either as a great leader.

I won’t be renewing my membership. I’ll now become a floating voter.

I see reasons for alignment with our European nations and believe that is the best way forwards. 

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I think this is what he is getting at.

https://fullfact.org/law/article-50-bill/

Its quite interesting at the end of that fullfact article @BlueSi13, which I didn’t realise or consider. Although it was bestowed on the PM to trigger article 50, there is no law that says we have to leave.

I wonder if that is deliberate 🤔

He might have been, but still in there, same as what I posted, there is no legal obligation to leave. Even though leave won and we triggered article 50, we don't have to to legally leave. The sentence on the leaflet is not a legally binding contract. Whether we have to morally is another discission. 

Now people might cite the party manifestos at the last election. Yes they did pledge to leave, but again based on a non legally binding promise made by a previous government prior to an advosory referendum. And just because something is in a manifesto doesn't mean it will happen, thats how our parliament works. If it can't be voted through it doesn't become law.

So like I say morally we might have to leave, but I'm just stating fact, there is no legal obligation to do so.

10 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

I would say a 6 percent drop in house prices, a freeze on interest rates and a predicted increase in unemployment is a little more than a slight drop in GDP. 

EU isn't an empire or a dream of one for goodness sake. Even the hardest BREXIT supporters can't surely buy into that trash!? 

In times of possible war and potential worldwide financial crashes. Together is better. Freedom of movement is better and cheaper taxes is better. Not mentioning keeping trade deals, food suppliers and retaining our industrial presence. BREXIT being a word has already lost us several manufacturing contracts, causing closures, and therefore redundancies. 

Look at it this way. How does the EU effect you right now? Personally maybe not much, but as a country we heavily benefit for various reasons 

Will we have a better way of living after we leave? No. In fact life will be a lot harder. 

So what do you personally gain from BREXIT? Nothing? So why have a harder life? 

Why does a union with no ambitions of its own nation state need an anthem, a flag, a president, an army, or a parliament with complete control over the laws, trade and borders of its members?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

You can close and your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and pretend its not the case but you're being delusional I'm afraid.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

This argument is irritating. There was no majority. A referendum, no matter what is said on the propoganda released, is only a poll of opinion. It is not a form of elective vote therefore there is no lawful obligation to follow it through. 

If it were an elective vote. The split wouldn't have been clear enough to call a majority and the vote would have been thrown out anyway. 

Remainers are complaining because we are taking the hard evidence and facts laid out by advisors from several different areas of discipline who are all claiming BREXIT to be poor for their area. Banks, manufacturers, trade, fuel etc. We are considering the personal effects BREXIT will have on our families and our work places. 

I don't care about this percentage of voters said this, or that 75 percent of mps want this. I don't care about whether or not we are sovereign, I have no care for blue passports and have no problem with our current immigration policies.

What I do care about is making life as easy as possible for me, my family and future generations. I can tell you now, BREXIT will make things a darn site harder than it already is! Not better! 

What?

If 2016 were a leave/remain General Election, leave would have won with an overwhelming majority.

image.thumb.png.4706726c34e74becc468fbb52886bc61.png

Check out the number at the bottom to see where the problem is though.  406 constituencies voted leave but are only represented by 160 MPs.  Whereas 242 constituencies voted remain but are represented by 486 MPs.  You think that's representative?  

Edited by BlueSi13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

The problem with that tweet is that it appears to make out that if we leave the Single Market we will lose £1.9 billion a week.  However for that to happen trade between the UK and EU would have to drop to 0.  Considering the EU has a significant trade surplus with us (+64 billion) such a scenario would be equally as disastrous for them.

However we both know that isn't going to happen.  The no-deal forecast models themselves make no such prediction, indeed they suggest that leaving the Single Market and Customs Union will cost us £1 billion a YEAR which equates to 0.055% pa reduction in growth.  Certainly not £1.6 billion a WEEK.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1168964684764131328.html

Conclusion = a sensible and pragmatic free trade deal that suits both sides interests.

Edited by BlueSi13
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

You think that's representative?  

Funny you talk about representation when someone like Boris is in charge. The man who was given the role as Prime Minister when it was only his fellow MPs who could vote him in... 

You reckon he represents what people want? Reckon he represents as the best option to lead this country? Tell me please what he has, as such an incredible person, achieved so far as Prime Minister? 

What does he represent? Who does he represent? 

Just now, StanSP said:

Funny you talk about representation when someone like Boris is in charge. The man who was given the role as Prime Minister when it was only his fellow MPs who could vote him in... 

You reckon he represents what people want? Reckon he represents as the best option to lead this country? Tell me please what he has, as such an incredible person, achieved so far as Prime Minister? 

What does he represent? Who does he represent? 

Let's find out by calling a General Elec...oh yeah.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

What?

If 2016 were a leave/remain General Election, leave would have won with an overwhelming majority.

Check out the number at the bottom to see where the problem is though.  406 constituencies voted leave but are only represented by 160 MPs.  Whereas 242 constituencies voted remain but are represented by 486 MPs.  You think that's representative?  

It’s a strong case, and I don’t think anyone would dispute that we voted to leave the EU. Remainers need to accept this.

But equally, Leavers need to acknowledge two things:

• There was only one word on the ballot paper: Leave. We didn’t vote to leave without a deal, and we didn’t vote to leave within any defined timeframe. None of those things was voted upon. No-one owns Brexit and no-one has the right to say that we voted to leave in October or that we voted to leave the Customs Union or that we voted for a hard border in Ireland.  All of those things are negotiations which, practically, cannot continually be put to the people to decide. It’s up to Parliament.
  • People can change their minds. The latest YouGov polling indicates that 9% of those who voted Leave now want to Remain.

Since you’re quite rightly resting your case on Democracy can I ask you a question:

If the Lib Dems win the next election with a majority, then does that mean you’d accept that the will of the people 2016 is superceded by the will of the people 2019 and that Brexit should be cancelled?

Edited by Ali Begbie

18 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

What?

Wasn't a GE though was it, it was an advisory referendum, so it's a mute point.

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Wasn't a GE though was it, it was an advisory referendum, so it's a mute point.

To you it is because the side you voted for lost.  

As I asked yesterday, if roles were reversed, we'd voted remain but the majority of MPs backed Brexit and decided to take us out anyway as it was only an "advisory referendum", you'd have no problems with that?

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is that the only question you'll answer lol

Of course, all of those questions you raised regarding whether he is the right man to lead the country and whether he is who the people want would be answered in a General Election.  

If he was such an embarrassment and a calamity, surely he'd be bombed out of Downing Street so fast he'd break the sound barrier right?  Why would the opposition duck it? 

5 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

To you it is because the side you voted for lost.  

As I asked yesterday, if roles were reversed, we'd voted remain but the majority of MPs backed Brexit and decided to take us out anyway as it was only an "advisory referendum", you'd have no problems with that?

No not just to me, by the actual laws of the land as I proved yesterday lol

And I guess I'd remain had won and the mps tried to leave I'd probably just moan and say get over it you lost, like you lot do lol

Edited by Facecloth

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

He might have been, but still in there, same as what I posted, there is no legal obligation to leave. Even though leave won and we triggered article 50, we don't have to to legally leave. The sentence on the leaflet is not a legally binding contract. Whether we have to morally is another discission. 

Now people might cite the party manifestos at the last election. Yes they did pledge to leave, but again based on a non legally binding promise made by a previous government prior to an advosory referendum. And just because something is in a manifesto doesn't mean it will happen, thats how our parliament works. If it can't be voted through it doesn't become law.

So like I say morally we might have to leave, but I'm just stating fact, there is no legal obligation to do so.

So do you believe morally we have duty to implement the result of referendum?

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

So do you believe morally we have duty to implement the result of referendum?

I think morally Cameron did, as it was his government's promise. I think morally we have to do what's best for the country. That's what we elects mps to do. If they don't see brexit being in the countrys best interests then morally they shouldn't allow it.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think morally Cameron did, as it was his government's promise. I think morally we have to do what's best for the country. That's what we elects mps to do. If they don't see brexit being in the countries best interests then morally they shouldn't allow it.

Fair enough, I respect your honest opinion although I don’t think all of that’s entirely true, we elect MPs based on manifesto promises, and expect them to deliver on them. If the MPs are swaying from those promises, they should have the guts to put it back to the people, via a second referendum or a GE imo.

• Like 1