Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

42 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I tend to agree. Given the impasse, I can see a case for (and against) a second referendum - but not for revoking without consulting the electorate.

There will be lasting division regardless of the Brexit outcome. But, as with No Deal, it would surely be on quite another scale with Revoke?

A major motivation for the Leave vote was people feeling ignored by "the elite".....and people like Swinson want to just ignore the referendum result and revoke?!? :frusty:

That seems like a solution tailor-made to increase toxic divisions and alienation from the democratic process - possibly leading to public disorder, thuggery & the rise of the Far Right....

Swinson says she's made the switch from Referendum to Revoke because it would be nonsense for an explicitly Remain party to try to negotiate a Brexit Deal to put to a referendum. Yet, they've vocally advocated a referendum since 2016.

In a referendum, they could also put May's Deal, any deal that Boris negotiates or even No Deal to a vote with Remain. That would be a lot more respectful of the electorate than just revoking!

I presume this is cynical "product differentiation" by the Lib Dems. They see much (though not all) of Labour inching onto their old Referendum terrain and want to differentiate themselves as "the Remain party" to win seats.

Most of their target seats are prosperous Tory seats in the SE & SW with a big Remainer vote, so I presume they want to avoid Remain voters there drifting to Labour, causing them to miss out on seats.

In reality, it's highly unlikely that the Lib Dems will be negotiating Brexit. Polls suggest they could gain a number of seats, but not that they'll be anywhere near being the biggest party in parliament.

But if an election happens before Brexit is sorted, a hung parliament with more Lib Dem MPs is distinctly possible. Their Revoke stance would surely make it much harder to get either a Soft Brexit Deal or a Second Referendum.....unless they back down.

I do wonder where the Lib Dems will end up once Brexit is finally sorted, which might be within a couple of months. They've essentially become a Remain party. What other policies are they promoting?

Like them or not, Labour has a raft of other policies (as they did in 2017). If we do end up with a November election after leaving the EU with or without a deal at Halloween, what platform will the Lib Dems stand on? :dunno:

Absolutely agree Alf with everything you say. I voted for the Lib Dems in the Euros because I thought a second referendum, whilst likely to bring about a whole other mess, was the best way through/I felt compelled to vote and couldn't vote for anyone else. I think their new position will cost them in a lot of their target Con seats.

After Brexit, I do hope they go back to dying their death. They stand for absolutely nothing, are bereft of ideas and principles and are now a dumping ground for the self-righteous careerists. I'd rather the current Labour Party govern

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The revoke policy is about offering something that is actually concrete to the electorate. In reality not a huge amount has changed because the policy only affects a Lib Dem majority government and if the Liberal Democrats were to win an outright majority on a revoke platform then why not? But more importantly it's the right thing to do to bring us out of the immediate uncertainty and begin to move forward. The party still back a second referendum if that's what is necessary to avoid no deal. 

56 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

The revoke policy is about offering something that is actually concrete to the electorate. In reality not a huge amount has changed because the policy only affects a Lib Dem majority government and if the Liberal Democrats were to win an outright majority on a revoke platform then why not? But more importantly it's the right thing to do to bring us out of the immediate uncertainty and begin to move forward. The party still back a second referendum if that's what is necessary to avoid no deal. 

No Deal is "something actually concrete" that would "bring us out of the immediate uncertainty" and allow us "to move forward". It would also be economically disastrous and massively divisive socially.

Revoking without another referendum might avoid the economic disasters of No Deal but would be just as divisive socially, encouraging large numbers of people to hold democracy in contempt.

OK, in some dreamworld where the Lib Dems stood on a Revoke platform and won an election with more than 50% of the vote, that could be deemed to be a mandate.

But what if they won an outright majority on a Revoke platform with just 35% of the national vote? 

Even that is a pipedream, though. What would happen if an election resulted in a hung parliament, with significantly more Lib Dem MPs than now.....an outcome that is distinctly possible.

If Corbyn was leading a minority govt & sought parliamentary approval for a referendum, would the Lib Dems block that, insisting on Revoke & allowing the clock to run down towards No Deal again?

If Johnson negotiated a new deal, would the Lib Dems oppose moves to have it put to a referendum (which might succeed) and insist on Revocation until they were looking down the barrel of No Deal......at which point it might be very hard to get legislation for a referendum through all its stages in the Commons & Lords?

It seems to me that, if Revoke is a serious LD policy, it risks dividing those seeking to avoid No Deal or open to a second referendum or even a softer Brexit - and makes No Deal and greater polarisation even more likely.

If it is a policy that the LDs would jettison the minute they found themselves not forming a majority govt, it seems like a meaningless gesture - & a cynical abuse of a major crisis, using it as a rebranding exercise to win votes at the expense of national stability and a sane outcome to all this madness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

No Deal is "something actually concrete" that would "bring us out of the immediate uncertainty" and allow us "to move forward". It would also be economically disastrous and massively divisive socially.

Revoking without another referendum might avoid the economic disasters of No Deal but would be just as divisive socially, encouraging large numbers of people to hold democracy in contempt. I'd be quite happy for large numbers of people to "hold democracy in contempt" if it meant making the correct decision on something that could heavily impact the economy and our future relationship with Europe. I don't see this as more socially divisive than electing Labour or Conservative majorities on 40% of the vote.

OK, in some dreamworld where the Lib Dems stood on a Revoke platform and won an election with more than 50% of the vote, that could be deemed to be a mandate.

But what if they won an outright majority on a Revoke platform with just 35% of the national vote? We're having that debate at conference but we live in a representative democracy and governments don't hold back on implementing their manifestos because they received less than 50% of the vote.

Even that is a pipedream, though. What would happen if an election resulted in a hung parliament, with significantly more Lib Dem MPs than now.....an outcome that is distinctly possible.

If Corbyn was leading a minority govt & sought parliamentary approval for a referendum, would the Lib Dems block that, insisting on Revoke & allowing the clock to run down towards No Deal again? No they would back it.

If Johnson negotiated a new deal, would the Lib Dems oppose moves to have it put to a referendum (which might succeed) and insist on Revocation until they were looking down the barrel of No Deal......at which point it might be very hard to get legislation for a referendum through all its stages in the Commons & Lords? No they would back a referendum.

It seems to me that, if Revoke is a serious LD policy, it risks dividing those seeking to avoid No Deal or open to a second referendum or even a softer Brexit - and makes No Deal and greater polarisation even more likely.

If it is a policy that the LDs would jettison the minute they found themselves not forming a majority govt, it seems like a meaningless gesture - & a cynical abuse of a major crisis, using it as a rebranding exercise to win votes at the expense of national stability and a sane outcome to all this madness. That's a bit of a bollocks argument, by that logic anything any party other than Labour or the Conservatives offer could be described that way. At least Revoke is a policy that could be implemented.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I've listened to a load of garbage on the BBC this morning as various MPs change their stance to suit.  However, Bridgen telling me I could potentially be standing in the centre of Leicester, app in hand to call a driverless car to come and pick me up and all within a 5 year timescale takes the biscuit.

He's full of crap isn't he.

I do agree with him on HS2 though. Alex Norris sitting next to him waxing lyrical about how cutting the journey time between Nottingham and Birmingham will boost the local economy. No it won't, as good a city as Nottingham is people will just hop on the train to go to Birmingham. Companies will move in around Birmingham knowing people from places like Nottingham won't have hours of travel to get to work. HS2 will just benefit the huge cities and places like Nottingham, Leicester etc will just become dead commuter cities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Vering off-topic but this is very true. There’s plenty of here who obviously have a naturally negative opinion on Nottingham but it’s for mutual benefit we should work to boost the cultural and historical aspects of the East Midlands. Between Leicester, Nottingham & Lincoln (guess we have to include Derby as well) there’s plenty of tourism and nice city spots that could be exploited and between them much more stunning countryside  as well as the foot of the Peak District. 

Its in our own interest we work with other mid-sized cities to ensure the likes of Birmingham and Leeds don’t use us the same way London has essentially used the South East and South Midlands.

I think a lot of us would rather have the HS2 money spent on electrifying all lines connecting cities with more than a quarter of a million population. And re-opening a few branch lines which are now needed because the population has increased so much in the last fifty years.

Electrification of the Midland, Leicester to Birmingham and Bristol-Birmingham-Derby lines with the latest versions of the Pendolino trains.

Re-opening a short stretch of line between Nuneaton and Coventry would open the way to much faster journeys between Nottingham / Leicester / Coventry and Oxford / Swindon / Reading. A journey between any of these Midlands cities and the upper Thames Valley area is currently very slow.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I've listened to a load of garbage on the BBC this morning as various MPs change their stance to suit.  However, Bridgen telling me I could potentially be standing in the centre of Leicester, app in hand to call a driverless car to come and pick me up and all within a 5 year timescale takes the biscuit.

As ever with technology we over estimate the short term impact but underestimate the long term

• Haha 1

BREXIT is a mess, tragic and disastrous. The lies told in the propoganda is almost on the level of what Hitler used to gain the trust of German people all those years ago. Having a man who pushed such agenda, knowing for well and admitted afterwards, that it was all lies is disgraceful. Yet Brexiteers still think this whole process is democratic because they voted in 2016 for leave. 

We have an unelected prime minister for the second time since this shite show began, polls and petitions with millions of signatures of have been completely ignored and the same shite narrative is being pushed. 'Its what the people want' no May and Boris, I think you will find it is what you want, so you can avoid new corperate taxes coming into place next year. 

We need to stop it now before it causes an almighty mess for this country.

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1