Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v Kosovo - ST Mary's Stadium Tues @ 7.45pm (ITV)

Pre-Match & Match Thread.

England manager Gareth Southgate believes England fans should be excited for the future with the likes of Mason Mount and Jadon Sancho breaking into the side, while captain Harry Kane has set his sights on winning trophies with the national team.

England manager Gareth Southgate says his frontline is as exciting as any team in the world.

World Cup Golden Boot winner Harry Kane scored a hat-trick in Saturday's 4-0 win over Bulgaria, with Raheem Sterling netting the other and Marcus Rashford playing alongside them.

Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, 19, came off the bench at Wembley.

"We're in a healthy position," said Southgate before Tuesday's Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo at St Mary's.

England are top of their qualifying group for next summer's European Championship with three wins from three - but they are only one point above Kosovo going into Tuesday's match in Southampton (19:45 BST).

Captain Kane, 26, has scored 25 times in 40 caps, and twice won the Premier League Golden Boot with his goals for Tottenham.

Manchester City winger Sterling, 24, has seven goals in six games for club and country this season, while Manchester United's Rashford, 21, has already scored seven goals for England.

Since moving to Bundesliga side Dortmund in 2017, Sancho has scored 17 and set up 27 goals in 60 appearances.

"They're as exciting as anything," said Southgate.

"I remember going to Spain [in October 2018] and thinking: 'Well, a really tough game.' But, actually, you look at our front three and their front three on the night and I felt that we were strong.

"We've got Sancho and [Chelsea youngster] Callum Hudson-Odoi who are going to push - and really push."

Asked if his forwards know they can be among the best, Southgate replied: "They have great humility. I think they possibly don't, because they sometimes don't view themselves as others do.

"Whenever we're judging games, all of us look at what hasn't gone well and sometimes we can overlook the brilliant things they do that maybe other countries don't have."

Trippier did ok against Bulgaria but Trent A-A is the future and needs to be playing. Rose/Chilwell do tend to be rotated so i'd expect Chilwell to start. Maddison or Mount in for Barkley, Sancho in for Rashford. Kosovo can be dangerous but expect us to win. I'm sure we'll be able to get a penalty or two.

48 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Am I the only one not that bothered that Madders didn't get in for the Bulgaria game? Mount has absolutely carried that Chelsea side so far this season and been arguably their only standout. He's also a bigger goal threat from open play. He's there on merit, whatever anyone says, and our boy will get his chance, even if just from the bench, against Kosovo I'm certain.

It's not like England are struggling to create chances these days, so it's hardly going to be a revelation to bring someone in Maddison's mould into the fold, save for direct free kicks for which he's probably the best in the squad. We don't play off the last man - you're not going to get the sorts of chances Vardy gets on a plate week-in week-out from Madders unless you drop Kane and bring Sterling in from the wing, neither of which are going to happen and for good reason - the system is working. I can sit here and bemoan the lack of Leicester player involvement or the supposed big 6 cartel with the rest of you, but I'd rather accept the reality - Mount is a good player and fits the current England system better than Maddison.

What is a far bigger joke is Danny Rose getting in ahead of Chilwell.

/rant

Why has it taken so long for Maddison to even be in a position to be competing with Mount? Maddison carried us for a spell in 2018. Southgate said we don’t play with 10s despite playing Alli and Lingard, both 10s as 8s. Maddison did then start playing in central midfield and Southgate has still ignored him after changing the goal posts.

I think Southgate has done a decent job but post World Cup he’s made some frustrating decisions.

As for your point about not struggling to create chances these days? Have you actually watched England play? The score lines are always good but our goals mostly come set pieces, penalties and opposition makes. Maddison brings much more to the table than Alli who has always been quite poor for England.

Barkley, Lingard and Alli wouldn’t have anywhere near the amount of caps they have if we had some genuine talent in our midfield. It’s a shame Loftus-Cheek is injured because he carries the ball really well and is a bigger goal threat than the aforementioned three. Henderson, RLC and Maddison would be a nicely balanced midfield.

• Like 3

Tottenham Hotspur defender Danny Rose has told the Daily Mirror that he is a massive fan of Ben Chilwell.

Rose and Chilwell are competing for the left-back both for England, and the Tottenham defender has been impressed by his Leicester City counter-part’s ability while away on international duty.

“Me and Chilly have to do everything to help each other and help the team,” Rose said.

“If I play I don’t think it’s going to be a disadvantage and if Chilly plays it’s not going to be a disadvantage for the team.

“We both offer great qualities and I’m a massive fan of Chilly’s. I’ve got two of his shirts at my house and one hung up on my wall.”

Rose started England’s last game against Bulgaria, as Chilwell has missed the season so far with injury.

Whether Rose will retain the shirt when the Leicester man returns to fitness remains to be seen, as his form at Spurs this season hasn’t been particularly impressive.

Rose has struggled in Mauricio Pochettino’s side, with Tottenham’s defence being shaky.

Chilwell has actually been linked with a move to Tottenham in recent times, with Mauricio Pochettino thought to be a big admirer.

Ben Chilwell of Leicester in action during the Premier League match between Leicester City and AFC Bournemouth at The King Power Stadium on March 30, 2019 in Leicester, United Kingdom.

The Telegraph claim that Tottenham were tracking Chilwell, with Pochettino thought to want to strengthen in both full-back positions.

Whether Spurs would be able to afford Chilwell, who is valued at over £75 million by Leicester now (Telegraph), is questionable.

But if Chilwell was to move to Spurs it is clear that he would be a great signing for Pochettino’s side and could enhance their defensive quality for years to come.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/09/danny-rose-comments-on-reported-tottenham-hotspur-target-ben-chi/page/1/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

As for your point about not struggling to create chances these days? Have you actually watched England play? The score lines are always good but our goals mostly come set pieces, penalties and opposition makes.

Agree with this.

I can't remember us ever playing Kosovo.

I doubt Southgate likes Madders. And don't think that's because he's not at a top six club: he was more than happy to play Chilwell and Maguire before.

For all his good work in the league, for all the positive press, for the stats that point to Maddison being England's top young creative midfielder Southgate has given him the cold shoulder.

Madders has never really shined playing for England but to choose a less experienced Mount is bizarre bordering on biased. Madders might get some minutes against the mighty Kosovo but I could see Maddison having to wait for Mount to start playing horrifically until he's given a chance in future.

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

I doubt Southgate likes Madders. And don't think that's because he's not at a top six club: he was more than happy to play Chilwell and Maguire before.

For all his good work in the league, for all the positive press, for the stats that point to Maddison being England's top young creative midfielder Southgate has given him the cold shoulder.

Madders has never really shined playing for England but to choose a less experienced Mount is bizarre bordering on biased. Madders might get some minutes against the mighty Kosovo but I could see Maddison having to wait for Mount to start playing horrifically until he's given a chance in future.

Kosovo have only been officially recognised by FIFA for the last 3 or 4 years. I think they'll prove a tougher test than the Bulgarians.

I'd imagine Madders will only get minutes if we're cruising with only a few minutes left on the clock.

15 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I can't help thinking he's reluctant because he doesn't want to be proven wrong. I guess we can all relate to that. But our midfield in the world cup really was our weakness - we need to try something different and Maddison has more than earned his spot. 

50 minutes ago, les-tah said:

If Maddison continues to get the cold shoulder we will lose him sooner then expected as it will be pretty clear you cant play for England in midfield without being at a 'top 6 club'.

Agreed, we could lose him sooner than expected. But to play for England has always been that way. Picked on which club you play for not best player / team. 

Quite happy Maddison not being played keeps him fit for United away. Genuinely think we have a chance to get 3 points there. We have all the chance to be top 6 next season too. 

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Trippier did ok against Bulgaria but Trent A-A is the future and needs to be playing. Rose/Chilwell do tend to be rotated so i'd expect Chilwell to start. Maddison or Mount in for Barkley, Sancho in for Rashford. Kosovo can be dangerous but expect us to win. I'm sure we'll be able to get a penalty or two.

TAA is the present, not just the future. The guy is already the best right back in the premier league and up there with the best in the world. Yet, a player that spurs thought was useless gets in ahead of him

• Like 2

I don’t think you can say Maddison feels that playing for Leicester is what’s holding him back from getting a place in the England side when Maguire and Chilwell have very comfortably broken in to the side whilst at Leicester. Southgate just doesn’t seem to be keen on him for some reason.

Despite making progress under Southgate it’s an obvious concern for me that once you’re in the squad it’s unlikely you’ll be dropped no matter how you perform. Alli’s role has changed at Spurs so catches they eye less but performs reasonably well still; he’s never actually played well enough for England though and there’s never any doubt he’ll be in the squad the annoying c unt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Am I the only one not that bothered that Madders didn't get in for the Bulgaria game? Mount has absolutely carried that Chelsea side so far this season and been arguably their only standout. He's also a bigger goal threat from open play. He's there on merit, whatever anyone says, and our boy will get his chance, even if just from the bench, against Kosovo I'm certain.

It's not like England are struggling to create chances these days, so it's hardly going to be a revelation to bring someone in Maddison's mould into the fold, save for direct free kicks for which he's probably the best in the squad. We don't play off the last man - you're not going to get the sorts of chances Vardy gets on a plate week-in week-out from Madders unless you drop Kane and bring Sterling in from the wing, neither of which are going to happen and for good reason - the system is working. I can sit here and bemoan the lack of Leicester player involvement or the supposed big 6 cartel with the rest of you, but I'd rather accept the reality - Mount is a good player and fits the current England system better than Maddison.

What is a far bigger joke is Danny Rose getting in ahead of Chilwell.

/rant

Don’t agree with your mount assessment, whether he has carried Chelsea or not (I’d argue Abraham has been their standout), 4 top level games is no way earning a cap on merit. Maddison can play a number of roles and has proven form at the top level over 40 games. I don’t dislike mount but his selection over Maddison sends out all the wrong signals. Southgate has his favourites and Maddison is definitely not one of them. He also is a top 6 favouring manager - the inclusion of a bang average Barkley and a player who’s still barely had any minutes at club level after a long term injury (Ox) backs this up.

Guest An Sionnach

Interestingly there are two England players in the FIFA top 100 , surprisingly no John Stones ! Come to think of it one of them is more Jamaican than Wes.. Come to think of it the other one is half Irish...

Edited by An Sionnach

Mount carrying Chelsea? Abraham carrying Chelsea?

Have you guys watched the Chelsea games?

Chelsea are lucky to be 11th in the division and it's not thanks to either of those two players.