Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Extinction Rebellion

7 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Seem to have caused more havoc again..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58324146

They seem like self-entitled, "look at me" individuals rather than promoting what they're apparently standing for well.

seems like some of them had glued themselves to a table in the middle of London. Need the toilet? Oh well. Hungry? Oh well.

I would have left them there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yep.  Having your route to work blocked off is pretty damn inconvenient but it's far less inconvenient than a literal famine, your village burning downbeing swept away in a flood or reclaimed by the sea.  Those worst affected are unlikely to take solace from a bunch of Brits pointing out that China or India are causing more pollution than we are.

But that’s the point really… people are more likely to listen to reports of your village being burnt down or swept away…

the only thing blocking your route to work is going to do is aggravate people.

i have yet to meet someone who has been swayed because of that kind of  behavior.. it just makes  them hate ‘ them’ more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

But that’s the point really… people are more likely to listen to reports of your village being burnt down or swept away…

the only thing blocking your route to work is going to do is aggravate people.

i have yet to meet someone who has been swayed because of that kind of  behavior.. it just makes  them hate ‘ them’ more

Scientists have been warning about these things my entire life.  Sadly we have more than enough evidence that if you warn people about negative outcomes they switch off or accuse you of spreading fear and lies, getting in people's faces seems to be the only way to make them sit up.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Scientists have been warning about these things my entire life.  Sadly we have more than enough evidence that if you warn people about negative outcomes they switch off or accusing you of spreading fear and lies, getting in people's faces seems to be the only way to make them sit up.

but it’s not making anyone sit up though is it? It’s just causing them to mock the E.R  peeps as seen in this thread.

32 minutes ago, MPH said:

but it’s not making anyone sit up though is it? It’s just causing them to mock the E.R  peeps as seen in this thread.

The point is that being clear and calm about the way the Earth is very obviously changing isn't getting people to listen and take appropriate action either. People listen to reports of reports of villages burning down or being swept away, say "oh, that's terrible"...and then go on eating their dinners.

So what is to be done?

I honestly don't know the best way to overcome that apathy based on empathy not extending beyond ones line of sight. Which is important, because by the time this problem really gets into the faces of the people who could do something about it, the consequences of it may not be stoppable and will be truly dire.

4 hours ago, Claridge said:

Bunch of middle class prats

2 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I would rev the bollocks off my dirty diesel if I saw them.

Childish? Yes.

Pointless? Yes

Make me feel better? Yes.

Smelly grebo, middle class tossers.

...so what is a better way to get action to be taken, then? Considering the way things are communicated now isn't working nearly as well as it needs to either?

Or is there no need for action at all?

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Looking at a couple of posts in here it seems to be doing just that. I agree that some people won't have their minds changed by such actions, but if you already give a shit about climate change then even if these guys piss you off you aren't going to stop caring about the planet's mankind's premature demise.  Basic game theory suggests there's really nothing to lose here.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Looking at a couple of posts in here it seems to be doing just that. I agree that some people won't have their minds changed by such actions, but if you already give a shit about climate change then even if these guys piss you off you aren't going to stop caring about the planet's mankind's premature demise.  Basic game theory suggests there's really nothing to lose here.

This is salient.

However I'd add that in a democracy we need as many people to give a shit as possible - and I'm unclear on what the best way to accomplish that is.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

The point is that being clear and calm about the way the Earth is very obviously changing isn't getting people to listen and take appropriate action either. People listen to reports of reports of villages burning down or being swept away, say "oh, that's terrible"...and then go on eating their dinners.

So what is to be done?

I honestly don't know the best way to overcome that apathy based on empathy not extending beyond ones line of sight. Which is important, because by the time this problem really gets into the faces of the people who could do something about it, the consequences of it may not be stoppable and will be truly dire.

I’d actually disagree with that.

I think education has always been the most successful way to… well, educate people.

whatever the belief, whatever the cause there will always be people who you won’t get onboard, but I don’t think that they the people anyone is trying to reach here is it? I’d maintain that this is a minority of course, it’s the nonplussed surely that people are trying to reach…however one thing is for sure, gluing yourself to a table isn’t going to get through to them, it will only breed ambivalence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

I’d actually disagree with that.

I think education has always been the most successful way to… well, educate people.

whatever the belief, whatever the cause there will always be people who you won’t get onboard, but I don’t think that they the people anyone is trying to reach here is it? I’d maintain that this is a minority of course, it’s the nonplussed surely that people are trying to reach…however one thing is for sure, gluing yourself to a table isn’t going to get through to them, it will only breed ambivalence.

I'm afraid that the proof of the pudding is in the eating on this matter, and given what we know about the changing conditions of the Earth and human responsibility for them, we are simply not doing enough, fast enough.

So with that in mind, the present approach by itself is clearly insufficient.

However, I have absolutely no idea what approach would be more effective in the way needed.

A few days inconvenience  is nothing compared to the possibility of what will happen to this planet in a few more generations.

Government  and big companies dont give a frck as it's all about $$$$.

Just think about what some of you are moaning about, its bloody pathetic.

A few streets in London disrupted for a couple of weeks...people need to start thinking about what's really important 

Got no time for them, just there to annoy people which will make more people hate them and give them column inches. This attempt to ram the issue in people's faces doesn't work and they won't get much buy in from the general public.

The others have said the best thing that can help is education, also they would probably be best to use advertisement (use shock tactics this way) and the message may hit home more maybe aim it at kids/children TV shows etc... 

I'm all for trying to help the planet and i do my bit where i can i.e. recycling and walking where possible but what can they realistically do? China, India and US lead the way in polluting the planet and apart from lobbying there isn't much the UK government can do.

Best thing we can all do is everyone in this country to do our bit and hopefully this will spread to other nations too or take what others have done learn, adapt and implement if possible.

What do people propose who say" we ain't got time for them, they are doing it wrong, they should get a job, they are causing mayhem,  they are liberal tree huggers, dope smokers" etc....

Seriously  what would YOU do???

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Raj said:

What do people propose who say" we ain't got time for them, they are doing it wrong, they should get a job, they are causing mayhem,  they are liberal tree huggers, dope smokers" etc....

Refuse to buy Chinese goods.

53 minutes ago, Raj said:

Jump off the nearest bridge. Less people, less pollution. Pretty simple stuff. 

Or fly to China/America and protest there. 

23 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Refuse to buy Chinese goods.

Unfortunately, China isn't the only contributor in town, and those goods are going to get manufactured somewhere - there or somewhere else.

There's a load of reasons why a straight boycott wouldn't be effective for this purpose.

Just now, Innovindil said:

Jump off the nearest bridge. Less people, less pollution. Pretty simple stuff. 

Or fly to China/America and protest there. 

I'm not entirely sure lobbying a foreign government directly in that way (as opposed to appealing to their own) is going to get the job done either tbh. Nor is one less person (or for that matter anything less than a few billion less people) going to have much of an effect on what's going on. Neo Malthusian ideas are a busted flush.