Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wymeswold fox

Extinction Rebellion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

If you read the quote, it talked about WHY they were performing direct action. This topic (apart from the posturing) has been asking why are XR doing what they are doing.

The quote is a simple explanation of it. 


Re "Tension" - perhaps re read this line....

The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation

 

edit, by the way there is no conflation.. perhaps another word you dont understand?

Ok, you post an excerpt from MLK's Birmingham letters that talk about protest, unrest and creating tension in a thread about ER, and then you claim there's no conflation. Alright, any way you want it.

 

Of course you conflate the two, you draw parallels to and inspiration from a 55+ year-old letter in a thread about today's situation with ER and their protest. You use his words as an inspirational source for ER, you are comparing the two. And we could equally say, ER are using quotes from MLK to justify their own inane actions, just as much as you are doing here.

 

Little to nothing about MLK applies to ER today in reality. Martin Luther King stood up for the cause of his own people and justice, ER stand up for something much more vague, much more complicated and much more abstract and to me it stinks of virtue-signaling. Needless to say, you (not you per se) can't play the racism card when it comes to Climate Change.

 

Again, "creating tension" for the sake of it won't help solving the problem, that's just a mind trick. Other terms such as "crisis" and "extinction" are used on purpose in order to create a hypothetical scenario, just as much as claiming to know when exactly the Earth will collapse (in eight, eleven or twelve years). It will only continue to alienate regular decent working people, and not just the ones who are dependent on next month's paycheck alone.

It does nothing to enhance the discussion that really matters. Instead of appealing to raw emotions, we should be having a sensible debate.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

If you read the quote, it talked about WHY they were performing direct action. This topic (apart from the posturing) has been asking why are XR doing what they are doing.

The quote is a simple explanation of it. 

Just repeating for your edification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MattP said:

 

What a frightening and sinister place the UK is becoming. I wonder how people would react to similar scenes in Russia or China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What a frightening and sinister place the UK is becoming. I wonder how people would react to similar scenes in Russia or China.

I hope the UK never becomes a place where we can't all have a laugh and a joke and take the piss now and again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I hope the UK never becomes a place where we can't all have a laugh and a joke and take the piss now and again.

While someone gets his head kicked in.

 

Really seems like a strange place these days. People get really upset about the slightest of verbal insults, yet here’s a guy getting beaten up by what look like a bunch of thugs and everyone seems to think he got what’s coming to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

The video,for me seems more like an england game,with some very clever editing.

Yes, I think you’re right, it’s fake, didn’t notice that (4.00 in the morning here) nevertheless, aside from that video, reaction to someone getting beaten up seems remarkably muted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

The video,for me seems more like an england game,with some very clever editing.

That's exactly what it is :D

 

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

While someone gets his head kicked in.

 

Really seems like a strange place these days. People get really upset about the slightest of verbal insults, yet here’s a guy getting beaten up by what look like a bunch of thugs and everyone seems to think he got what’s coming to him.

The 'joke' is the editing to show England fans in the pub cheering at the big screen.

 

I'm sure the fella who climbed on the train at rush hour knew what risk he was taking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's exactly what it is :D

 

The 'joke' is the editing to show England fans in the pub cheering at the big screen.

 

I'm sure the fella who climbed on the train at rush hour knew what risk he was taking.

Yes I acknowledged my mistake above. But as I say, there seems to have been remarkably little condemnation of the thugs. Shouldn’t they be charged with assault ( or GBH depending on what happened to the guy on the floor). And what about the report that a brave woman trying to protect the guy got punched in the face?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes I acknowledged my mistake above. But as I say, there seems to have been remarkably little condemnation of the thugs. Shouldn’t they be charged with assault ( or GBH depending on what happened to the guy on the floor). And what about the report that a brave woman trying to protect the guy got punched in the face?

I'm sure most will agree that the protester getting a kicking afterwards was bang out of order and unnecessary. It was the act of dragging him off the train so people could eventually get to work that mainly got the cheers I think.

 

I guess there's been little condemnation of the thugs because most people can relate to being stressed and late for work and don't have much sympathy for the protester. I don't know exactly what then happened to the guy on the floor or if anyone was charged for anything, but I imagine the police will have enough camera footage to take the necessary action.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I'm sure most will agree that the protester getting a kicking afterwards was bang out of order and unnecessary. It was the act of dragging him off the train so people could eventually get to work that mainly got the cheers I think.

 

I guess there's been little condemnation of the thugs because most people can relate to being stressed and late for work and don't have much sympathy for the protester. I don't know exactly what then happened to the guy on the floor or if anyone was charged for anything, but I imagine the police will have enough camera footage to take the necessary action.

 

I get panicked in crowds, I’m even more anxious on the tube. In that situation I would not be thinking my normal self and would be so mad and anxious, I think I would want to kill them and would almost certainly lash out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes I acknowledged my mistake above. But as I say, there seems to have been remarkably little condemnation of the thugs. Shouldn’t they be charged with assault ( or GBH depending on what happened to the guy on the floor). And what about the report that a brave woman trying to protect the guy got punched in the face?

 

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I'm sure most will agree that the protester getting a kicking afterwards was bang out of order and unnecessary. It was the act of dragging him off the train so people could eventually get to work that mainly got the cheers I think.

 

I guess there's been little condemnation of the thugs because most people can relate to being stressed and late for work and don't have much sympathy for the protester. I don't know exactly what then happened to the guy on the floor or if anyone was charged for anything, but I imagine the police will have enough camera footage to take the necessary action.

 

Exactly this, I'm not a violent man, don't think I've thrown a punch since I was 15, but if some cvnt was stopping me from getting to work, theoretically putting my well-being on the line, chances are the dude is getting a slap. These guys are happy being nicked for the cause, why wouldn't I be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ozleicester said:

If you read the quote, it talked about WHY they were performing direct action. This topic (apart from the posturing) has been asking why are XR doing what they are doing.

The quote is a simple explanation of it. 


Re "Tension" - perhaps re read this line....

The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation

 

edit, by the way there is no conflation.. perhaps another word you dont understand?


 😂 mocking the vocabulary of someone who isn’t even a native English speaker, classy as always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

 

Exactly this, I'm not a violent man, don't think I've thrown a punch since I was 15, but if some cvnt was stopping me from getting to work, theoretically putting my well-being on the line, chances are the dude is getting a slap. These guys are happy being nicked for the cause, why wouldn't I be.

If a guy stood on top of the train and shouted something racist or sexist, I bet most of the people decrying violence would have a different outlook. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Strokes said:

If a guy stood on top of the train and shouted something racist or sexist, I bet most of the people decrying violence would have a different outlook. 

Or if he voted tory. :thumbup:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I get panicked in crowds, I’m even more anxious on the tube. In that situation I would not be thinking my normal self and would be so mad and anxious, I think I would want to kill them and would almost certainly lash out.

 

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

 

Exactly this, I'm not a violent man, don't think I've thrown a punch since I was 15, but if some cvnt was stopping me from getting to work, theoretically putting my well-being on the line, chances are the dude is getting a slap. These guys are happy being nicked for the cause, why wouldn't I be.

I'm afraid our brains haven't changed that much over the last 100,000 years and the old 'fight or flight' response is the same as it ever was.

 

When we're anxious/panicking (under threat) and running high levels of adrenaline, we lose the ability to think rationally as all the blood drains from our brain into our muscles to literally prepare us to fight or flight. 

 

It's all very well people being calm and rational after the event saying people shouldn't have reacted that way, but in the heat of the moment people aren't their normal, rational selves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Izzy said:

 

I'm afraid our brains haven't changed that much over the last 100,000 years and the old 'fight or flight' response is the same as it ever was.

 

When we're anxious/panicking (under threat) and running high levels of adrenaline, we lose the ability to think rationally as all the blood drains from our brain into our muscles to literally prepare us to fight or flight. 

 

It's all very well people being calm and rational after the event saying people shouldn't have reacted that way, but in the heat of the moment people aren't their normal, rational selves.

Yeah, it’s weird.

I wasn’t always like it, but I used to have to get the tube quite a lot in my previous job and I had to stop doing it because of how it made me feel. I’m beginning to get like it on planes now. :(

I wish I could control it but it’s overwhelming and you feel so pathetic once it’s over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

 

I'm afraid our brains haven't changed that much over the last 100,000 years and the old 'fight or flight' response is the same as it ever was.

 

When we're anxious/panicking (under threat) and running high levels of adrenaline, we lose the ability to think rationally as all the blood drains from our brain into our muscles to literally prepare us to fight or flight. 

 

It's all very well people being calm and rational after the event saying people shouldn't have reacted that way, but in the heat of the moment people aren't their normal, rational selves.

Similar thing with blood drainage happens when you’re trying to get it on when pissed as your brain literally prepares for bonk or honk 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

Similar thing with blood drainage happens when you’re trying to get it on when pissed as your brain literally prepares for bonk or honk 

You laugh but you see it sometimes when people are so terrified that they piss themselves or we using the saying 'I shit myself' when we're really scared.

 

The reality is that when we're under threat, certain parts of the body don't need blood in that moment and literally 'shut down' such as our digestive system and sexual organs. The blood is needed in our big muscles such as our legs instead to get the fvck outta there (flight) or our arms to strike someone (fight).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Izzy said:

 

I'm afraid our brains haven't changed that much over the last 100,000 years and the old 'fight or flight' response is the same as it ever was.

 

When we're anxious/panicking (under threat) and running high levels of adrenaline, we lose the ability to think rationally as all the blood drains from our brain into our muscles to literally prepare us to fight or flight. 

 

It's all very well people being calm and rational after the event saying people shouldn't have reacted that way, but in the heat of the moment people aren't their normal, rational selves.

While this is true, at the same time we are not slaves to our evolutionary instincts and we do in fact have higher functions that can be utilised at any point given the will. Acting out of instinct should be in no way a justification for acting terribly.

 

Listening to the lizard brain makes species go extinct more often than it saves them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former London commuter I well understand the frustration of any sort of delays, but this sort of thuggery, trying to kick someone in the head, goes well beyond any sort of reasonable response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...