Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

If i could change one thing about football...

Guest Eamonn

...I'd ditch the international break. The quality of opposition is low. If you are doing well it breaks the momentum. And if you lost your last game to a dubious penalty you have to stew on it for an extra week. I bloody hate it.

Its a fundamental thing rather than a rule but its the exaggeration of injuries.

A player gets on the wrong end of a fair challenge, spends ages getting on the ground /getting off the pitch yet, low and behold, they're ready to sprint back on once play restarts.

All teams do it unfortunately and it's crap as a spectacle for fans.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The players.

Unrelatable, out of touch, and annoying.

This does cover some of the above, like the rehearsed celebrations. But their personalities too - most professionals have become dislikable tools. Hamza's a breath of fresh air. I've always thought Deeney spoke well. But I expect more from public figures than doing silly hand gestures or kissing drawings on their bodies to symbolise their commitment, love, or desire for something. In a phrase, they need to 'grow up'. 

And I'm not particularly old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eamonn said:

...I'd ditch the international break. The quality of opposition is low. If you are doing well it breaks the momentum. And if you lost your last game to a dubious penalty you have to stew on it for an extra week. I bloody hate it.

So we just go to a Euros/World Cup every 2 years with a team that hasn't played together before?

5 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I'd ban pre-rehearsed goal celebration routines.

I'm looking at *you* Dele Alli and Son Heung Min.   :mad:

But yeah, racism and violence, too, I suppose. 

But mostly, pre-rehearsed celebrations. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YkcJxWGlEQ

One of the men in these videos earns enough in the month to support 10 families, at very least.

It's a collective lowering of standards and expectancies. We should expect more from our super-wealthy than this garbage. Resoruce and finance dilution means that the wealth he has has, in effect, been sucked from someone poorer. Given that he provides less than nothing to society I strongly feel that we should have a standard of behaviour, at least in public, set for them.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Mic the refs. Any player identified to be using bad language that gets picked up by the mic gets sent off or suspended depending on if it was picked up at the time.

Could well be carnage for the first few weeks, but after that I think you'd see a sea change in attitudes towards refs from players.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Guest Eamonn
2 hours ago, Walkers said:

So we just go to a Euros/World Cup every 2 years with a team that hasn't played together before?

I didn't say id ban internationals, just the international break.

8 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I'd ban pre-rehearsed goal celebration routines.

I'm looking at *you* Dele Alli and Son Heung Min.   :mad:

But yeah, racism and violence, too, I suppose. 

But mostly, pre-rehearsed celebrations. 

Vacamion, tackling the difficult issues.

It'll be on his headstone.

• Haha 1

Guest Eamonn
2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The players.

Unrelatable, out of touch, and annoying.

This does cover some of the above, like the rehearsed celebrations. But their personalities too - most professionals have become dislikable tools. Hamza's a breath of fresh air. I've always thought Deeney spoke well. But I expect more from public figures than doing silly hand gestures or kissing drawings on their bodies to symbolise their commitment, love, or desire for something. In a phrase, they need to 'grow up'. 

And I'm not particularly old.

I'm with you. They all say the same in their post-match interviews, just trotting out the party-line. Not all of them but most

Guest Eamonn
49 minutes ago, Walkers said:

So you mean have most PL sides put out their reserves?

No, I mean schedule the internationals so they don't interfere with the football season. For example, mid-week games, group them at the endvof the season, or other alternatives.

53 minutes ago, bovril said:

Bell-end fans. I don't know why association football fans out of all sports find it the hardest to create a raucous atmosphere without aggro. 

This for me.

People who use football day as an excuse to be a complete arsehole when they wouldnt dream of doing that the other days in society or at their jobs ( if they have one).

People who abuse stewards for absolutely no reason when theyre just trying to do a job, people who spend an entire game antagonising the opposing fans instead of watching the game, going abroad with the sole intention of being as anti social and disgusting as possible, because its part and parcel of following a football team.

I went to an away game at QPR once and there were two guys in front of me that blocked the view for those around them and spent the entire game swearing at everyone, everything and gesturing to the away fans absolutely non stop. And this is all over what exactly??

Stood there in their burberry hats as usual and stone island jumpers. 

Anyone who said anything to them got an absolute volley from them.

Is that how you want to live your life?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Mic the refs. Any player identified to be using bad language that gets picked up by the mic gets sent off or suspended depending on if it was picked up at the time.

Could well be carnage for the first few weeks, but after that I think you'd see a sea change in attitudes towards refs from players.

Honestly it's scandalous that football hasn't taken rugby's lead on miking refs.  Imagine how much it would do for the respect campaign if fans actually heard the voice of a human being making the calls instead of the perceived arrogant silence over unclear and controversial decisions.

24 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Honestly it's scandalous that football hasn't taken rugby's lead on miking refs.  Imagine how much it would do for the respect campaign if fans actually heard the voice of a human being making the calls instead of the perceived arrogant silence over unclear and controversial decisions.

I can't think of a single bad reason to do it other than the bad language - and that will get resolved within a few weeks given correct enforcement.

Exaggerating injury for me or simulation. 

I was watching Graeme Souness after the Newcastle game and he was talking about fouls. 

I then watched him on YouTube (Huns vs Aberdeen by the looks of it). 

He goes in on a players thigh, just below his nuts, full studs. Yer man drops to the floor which is acceptable for a challenge which Gracie would have been proud of in the dojo, but all the players stroll around like it’s nothing. No rolling 50 yards. No crowding the ref. 

I think he only got a yellow for it. 

I’m not saying make the game physical like this. I’m saying you must watch yourself on MOTD later and think “I have no shame. I can still hold my head high”.